MERGED-->Rollins/E103.1/Anger Issues + Henry Rollins + Alert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Henry Rollins

Yesterday, pranks were pulled, people were upset, and correspondence exchanged.

Now, as the new day dawns, and everyone has had a rest, may I suggest that what one radio station and a few DJs think of 4 guys in a band, and their respective hair cuts, is really not worth all this commotion.

Life goes on, at least in some parts of the Developed World.

If you want to get angry over something please read:

http://www.amnesty.org/
or
http://www.oxfam.org/

If you feel like writing emails / letters please read:

http://web.amnesty.org/appeals/index/npl-010904-wwa-eng

peace :hug:

Re: Henry Rollins

beli said:
Yesterday, pranks were pulled, people were upset, and correspondence exchanged.

Now, as the new day dawns, and everyone has had a rest, may I suggest that what one radio station and a few DJs think of 4 guys in a band, and their respective hair cuts, is really not worth all this commotion.

Life goes on, at least in some parts of the Developed World.

If you want to get angry over something please read:

http://www.amnesty.org/
or
http://www.oxfam.org/

If you feel like writing emails / letters please read:

http://web.amnesty.org/appeals/index/npl-010904-wwa-eng

peace :hug:

Well said! If people have all this energy, they shouldn't waste it on a guy like Rolo (it is Rolo right? :D) and direct it to something that is truely constructive. The best response for stupid is no response at all.

I really shouldn't do this, but I will anyways.

The way you look at me
Is tearing me apart
And the way I make you feel
Is tearing you apart
And the things we`re doing to each other
Is tearing us apart
Look at you and me, tearing each other apart
I don`t mean to do it
You don`t mean to do it
So we better stop it now
Because we`re tearing each other apart

It`s hard to be alone
But it`s harder to be with you
I`m a lying liar with my pants on fire
Tearing myself apart
Slamming down the phone right in your face
Tearing you apart
So close, too close, not close enough
Tearing each other apart
When I see you
I want to tell you
But then I lose the words
And it tears me apart

Better walk away
Before we crawl away
I`ve got a hole inside
And I keep it deep inside
And I`m going to go inside
And it`s there I`m going to hide
Because I`ve got to get away
To see if I`m ok
Sometimes things don`t work out
It tears you apart, it tears me apart
Sometimes happens all the time
And I`m feeling torn apart

Isn't the man a poet?

Rollins/E103.1/Anger Issues

I am not too sure how many people will actually agree with me on what I am about to say, but hopefully there will be some -

One the issue of Henry Rollins : The man has the right to speak his mind. People may or may not like what he has to say, but he still has every right to say what he wants to, even on live radio in the middle of a U2 marathon. Personally, I think his infamous 8 minute stand up skit about U2 is hilarious, as I said to him in an e-mail I sent him. Rollins responded to me with this :

I got a few idiotic letters but nothing of any substance and nothing
with
any humor. I think it's great that Bobo does all the humanitarian stuf
but
it smells a little when he comes off like he's going to save the world.
And if you dig their music and it moves you, then that's great. I think
they're hilarious and trite but that's just me. There's room for all of
it. THat was a U2 marathon on there yesterday? I don't listen to radio
much, I just go in there once a week and play some records. HR

First of all, he respects the fact that I am a U2 fan, as I mentioned in my email to him. For him to respond in the manner that he did makes me think he isn't a complete ass. Secondly, his statement about "There's room for all of it" I agree with completely. I hate Creed with a passion, but I think it's cool that there are people who like Creed. He also mentioned he thinks it's great that Bono does the humanitarian stuff, but "it smells a little when he comes off like he's going to save the world". Ya know, personally, I agree with Rollins on this only for the fact that Bono tries to be in more than one place at once, but that is just my opinion.

Secondly, E103 and false advertisement. The station has every right to say whatever the want to and make people believe one thing and do something else. Legally, as long as it doesn't involve a contest and renigging on that, the FCC doesn't care at all. Sure, it was wrong for them to do that, but I'm not upset at them for it. In a way, I find it just slightly humerous, that I was soooo gullable to believe that I would hear Vertigo, even when companies hate it when stations play a song before they are allowed to. I'm laughing at myself for believe all of it.

And thirdly, I think people need to not be angry about this whole thing. It's a radio station who lied, and had a DJ on who hates U2. Big deal. It won't be the first time or the last someone lies to you or says they hate U2. Every time someone says they hate U2 to me, it's just to get me riled up, and by now I ignore it. I don't care what people think about U2 other than i'm curious to know why they dislike a band. Rollins does it for effect. E103 either had every intent to play it and got threatened by Universal or wanted to see the reaction they would get. And we bit hard on the bait which is exactly what they wanted us to do. Not only did we bite hard, we are responding with hate mail and petitions too, which is exactly the publicity they want. Frankly, I just say we should ignore it and forget about it, but if people want to continue writing and do petitions, go ahead.

Hopefully there are SOME people who agree with me on this. We'll hear the single in two weeks and then laugh at this whole E103 thing anyway.

good post.

basically where i stand is that i'm still angry at how they falsely advertised the new single. i'm more upset that i wasted my own time listening to that crap station.

there's no crime in being dissapointed and frustrated about what happened last night.

Here's my take;

I think that we're all a little frustrated with waiting for the album. We have a lot of pent-up frustration. We'll get our fix soon. But for now, look out! We're all a bunch of ticking time-bombs.

Re: Rollins/E103.1/Anger Issues

U2Fan101 said:
Secondly, his statement about "There's room for all of it" I agree with completely. I hate Creed with a passion, but I think it's cool that there are people who like Creed.

That's my attitude too. There's a shitload of bands that I don't like and have strong reasons to but I'm aware that there are many people out there who like them and care about them. So I keep my mouth shut and mind my own business and IF I feel like saying that I don't like a band I'm not going to bash them just say like a rational human being why I don't like them. I don't think Henry Rollins however has that same attitude because of the way he says things about U2.

But like Mikal I don't think what the station did was right. They can't announce they are going to play the new single knowing a lot of people want to hear it and then don't play it. That's low and stupid.

Yes, Rolllins is right that we all have every right to hold and express our own taste in music, that "there's room for all of it".
That would be fine, if he only confined himself to discussions/slags of the music. But he doesn't. He gets very personal and viscious, including repeated remarks over the years that he wishes Bono would die. What has this to do with the music?
I also question his disingenuous remark "That was a U2 marathon there yesterday?" If he didn't know, then it's even more pathetic that one of the first thing he talked about was U2.
How sad is that?

While I do agree with you, I think we need to leave this guy behind us. Yes, he's dumb. Yes, he's an angry, jealous man. But whatever. Who cares if he hates U2? It doesn't really matter. He's just some washed up singer. We have way too many threads regarding Rollins on the front page as it is, we really don't need any more. His opinion on U2 is really pretty insignificant.

I was mad at him last night just because I thought he cut off our precious Vertigo, but he was just doing what he normally does, so we really have no real reason to be mad at him anymore. Heck, even when he was bashing U2 I couldn't help but laugh. We just need to leave it behind us guys.

On that note, I'll leave you with some of his profound lyrics.

The way you look at me
Is tearing me apart
And the way I make you feel
Is tearing you apart
And the things we`re doing to each other
Is tearing us apart
Look at you and me, tearing each other apart
I don`t mean to do it
You don`t mean to do it
So we better stop it now
Because we`re tearing each other apart

It`s hard to be alone
But it`s harder to be with you
I`m a lying liar with my pants on fire
Tearing myself apart
Slamming down the phone right in your face
Tearing you apart
So close, too close, not close enough
Tearing each other apart
When I see you
I want to tell you
But then I lose the words
And it tears me apart

Better walk away
Before we crawl away
I`ve got a hole inside
And I keep it deep inside
And I`m going to go inside
And it`s there I`m going to hide
Because I`ve got to get away
To see if I`m ok
Sometimes things don`t work out
It tears you apart, it tears me apart
Sometimes happens all the time
And I`m feeling torn apart

I agree that Rollins has the right to say whatever he wants. I'm not about to send the station an e-mail and demand he be fired or censored because I loathe censorship.

But I also feel I have the right to call him a hypocritical, arrogant, pathetic, mean-spirited buffoon.

You know all this does is remind me that this album is HUGELY ANTICIPATED. How many other bands have fans that would've waited up all night just at the chance that some little radio station (with little to no industry pull) would play their new single. Let me count them on one hand.

I think it's interesting that many (not all) of the people getting their shorts in a bunch about the impropriety of this whole Vertigo/Rollins/Indy 103 thing have no problem with the illegal downloading of various intellectual property (ie, music). Hmmm...I guess unethical behaviour is only unethical when it's someone else.

U2Fan101, I nominate what you said for post of the month. Everybody needs to just calm down. I wasted a lot of time on Monday, too, but my blood pressure isn't going up any. 2 weeks is no time.

Also: good point, indra.

Thank you, beli, for your post and your suggestion where we could better put our energies for change in the world. :wink:

I refuse to allow others to decide for me how I respond to them and/or to life. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used to say not to allow a man to bring you down to their level by hating them in return. :ohmy:

Negativity produces negativity; positivity produces positivity. I choose positivity everytime!

Also, U2 does not need us to defend them and/or their music to Henry Rollins or anyone else. Their pre-eminent status in Rock music is secure and nothing Henry Rollins or anyone else says/does will change that. :yes:

I ask the U2 community to consider one thing: THE BEST THING WE CAN DO TO SHOW OUR LOVE FOR U2 IS TO SPEAK WELL OF OTHERS AND TREAT OTHERS RESPECTFULLY. :up:

The more that we can STAND ABOVE the obviously jealous escapades of Henry Rollins toward U2, the more we INCREASE goodwill for U2 in the public's eye. Consequently, the more that we rant and rave immaturely, the more we decrease goodwill for U2 and their fans in the public's eye.

I suggest that we do what Bono says...LET IT GO and it will FADE AWAY. :hug: :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila said:
Thank you, beli, for your post and your suggestion where we could better put our energies for change in the world. :wink:

I refuse to allow others to decide for me how I respond to them and/or to life. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used to say not to allow a man to bring you down to their level by hating them in return. :ohmy:

Negativity produces negativity; positivity produces positivity. I choose positivity everytime!

Also, U2 does not need us to defend them and/or their music to Henry Rollins or anyone else. Their pre-eminent status in Rock music is secure and nothing Henry Rollins or anyone else says/does will change that. :yes:

I ask the U2 community to consider one thing: THE BEST THING WE CAN DO TO SHOW OUR LOVE FOR U2 IS TO SPEAK WELL OF OTHERS AND TREAT OTHERS RESPECTFULLY. :up:

The more that we can STAND ABOVE the obviously jealous escapades of Henry Rollins toward U2, the more we INCREASE goodwill for U2 in the public's eye. Consequently, the more that we rant and rave immaturely, the more we decrease goodwill for U2 and their fans in the public's eye.

I suggest that we do what Bono says...LET IT GO and it will FADE AWAY. :hug: :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

What he said!

For the 500th time...if you are mad,direct it at the station and not at Rollins....just send your complaint to the radio station that advertised this single leak...and not Rollins! Ok, you guys, go after the right people here....the station.

Rollins can say whatever he wants and that is totally fine with me.

What is not ok, is that fact that this radio advertiseded something that it wasn't and something it wasn't going to be....that to me is false advertes...and that ain't legal... at alll.

starsgoblue said:
For the 500th time...if you are mad,direct it at the station and not at Rollins....just send your complaint to the radio station that advertised this single leak...and not Rollins! Ok, you guys, go after the right people here....the station.

yeah, as much as I hate Rollins, that was just a coincidence. Its the station, not him.

has anyone got ANY FEEDBACK from the station in relation to the leak??! Are they planning to make up for it by playing it tonight or something? What's the deal people, somebody must have been in contact with the station by now.

indra said:
I think it's interesting that many (not all) of the people getting their shorts in a bunch about the impropriety of this whole Vertigo/Rollins/Indy 103 thing have no problem with the illegal downloading of various intellectual property (ie, music). Hmmm...I guess unethical behaviour is only unethical when it's someone else.

not that again........

downloading music for free is an issue that needs to stay out of this forum. if you want to start one in Free Your Mind, since it seems like an important issue, fine. but please, just not here. the way you bombarded my "interpol leaked" thread was bad enough.

Alert!

While scanning the forums this morning I came across a post from Henry Rollins on U2.coms zootopia forum. Although I've remained silent on the whole Rollins issue cos I wasn't apart of the whole scenario, I was mortified to see that Mr. Rollins made an angry appearance on the msg board. How long do you think till he shows up here?

Just wanted to warn ya!

Gotta love freedom of speech :wink:

Man, you gotta give him credit, he does love a good ol' tussle don't he! The only way to get him off the message boards is to ignore him. If you retaliate it just give's him ammo.

I still think he secretly loves U2, he makes a lot of effort to try and piss U2 fans off, he's just looking for attention.

I also think he hates the fact that U2 just don't rise to his bait.

ok seriously, after that episode yesterday, who cares anymore? Stick to hanging on the edge for Vertigo, we aint gonna derive any pleasure from abusing this individual, lets just all countdown to Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom