MERGED ----> Q Review of HTDAAB + Q Magazine, what a joke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if any UK publication would give U2 a decent review, it is Q, perhaps the more commercial and mainstream of music magazines. 4 stars generally corresponds to a praise-heavy article, with some minor reservations.

the only 5 star album i remember from Q is Radiohead's OK Computer

Jim said:
Rush Of Blood To The Head got 5

Jim, are you sure about that?? I'm almost positive that it got 4 out of 5 although the review itself made it sound like a 5 star review.

purpleblackeye said:
if any UK publication would give U2 a decent review, it is Q, perhaps the more commercial and mainstream of music magazines. 4 stars generally corresponds to a praise-heavy article, with some minor reservations.

the only 5 star album i remember from Q is Radiohead's OK Computer

The red hot chilli peppers last album as well, (too may *shift* presses typing that name, so i didn't bother..)

Is this the same Q review we've already seen?

Or will Jim once again momentarily boost the quality of our lives?

we shouldn't listen to the band (especially Bono :wink: ) about the album before it's out. Then we can judge by ourself. They must say it's their best album ever, cause if they don't, then it was not worthy making it, right?
Still, i hope it's as good as UF, JT, AB... (though Vertigo and ABOY didn't convince mi in that...:( the only hope i have is from Miracle Drug and Love & Peace)

Jaxx said:
Jesus, people, calm down. 4/5 is a very good score. Personally I think 'perfect' scores should be reserved for rare occasions, when you come across an album that really gives a shake to the current state of music, and will probably stand the test of time as a classic. AB was such an album, and deservedly got 5/5. HTDAAB, from what we've read and heard will probably not be as revolutionary, but that doesn't mean it can't be a very good album. A 4/5 score reflects that. I hope all the other reviews score it as hightly, but be prepared because many probably won't.

The last album U2 made that got a "5 star Q rating" was Achtung Baby, and then before that they also gave Rattle & Hum 5 stars(but later changed it to 3 stars) The Joshua Tree 5 stars and also The Unforgettable Fire 5 stars. Take it with a pinch of salt cos a few years back they gave Texas White on blonde album 2 stars then about 6 months later, cos it had sold a couple of million in the uk, they then said it was the album of the year......... WANK#RS. They often don't know what there talking about!

Me too! Thats it I will not buy this album infact i will no longer be a fan of u2 i think they suck since they got 4 out of 5 stars and one mediocer review out of like 10 great reviews! Sheesh what ever happened to u2???

Johnny_Mo said:
i remember Q gave 5 stars to AB and JT, 4 stars to UF, Pop, Zooropa and ATYCLB, 3 for R&H (correct me if im wrong). i forgot the first 3 albums. Q is very objective, in the first review of AB they said it's the best U2 album, not many other magazines said the same thing at that time. and when they gave Pop 4 (when the album was not yet released), i felt the same as most of you are feeling now, i hope it was 5, but now im totally agree with Q. maybe we should prepare for the oh-that's-another-not-that-great U2 album, or wait and listen to it, and judge it by ourselves.

They gave Rattle & Hum 5 stars originally cos I have the original review(says a headline of RAW POWER) then on their website they give it 3 stars.

Why on earth is everyone feelin' so low about a 4/5 review. That's an excellent review. It doesn't surprise me at all that's what it got. It's a lot harder to 4/5 out of Q now compaired to 10 years ago.

VertiGone said:

Jim, are you sure about that?? I'm almost positive that it got 4 out of 5 although the review itself made it sound like a 5 star review.

They list AROBTTH in their further listening section of the U2 review and it has five red stars. Unless Q have changed their minds?

Jim said:

They list AROBTTH in their further listening section of the U2 review and it has five red stars. Unless Q have changed their minds?

What the hell is AROBTTH?!?!?

I have to say interference is abbreviation heaven!

It's like watching Countdown sometimes. (But I'm usually good at conundrums)

:huh:

Last edited:
AROBTTH = A Rush of Blood to the Head

I guess...

And you ppl r crazy...4 out of 5 is pretty damn good!!!

If you think 4/5 Q is bad, wait till you see the reviews in those snotty indie magazines/websites like NME, pitchforkmedia.com....but Q's rating is a good indication of what rolling stone, uncut, mojo will give it.

but who cares? in the end, it matters if the songs resonate with you personally. i admit though that it pisses me off when i see something i like very much get ripped apart.

purpleblackeye said:
If you think 4/5 Q is bad, wait till you see the reviews in those snotty indie magazines/websites like NME, pitchforkmedia.com....but Q's rating is a good indication of what rolling stone, uncut, mojo will give it.

but who cares? in the end, it matters if the songs resonate with you personally. i admit though that it pisses me off when i see something i like very much get ripped apart.

Don't forget they are run by a load of Oxbridge University "English" graduates who think they are the be all and end all of the music world.

The UK really has a tragic music scene....

Jim said:

If you go to metacritic.com and check out AROBTTH, Q's rating is 80 which is equivalent to a 4/5. I guess they had a change of heart. What's the point of giving a review and then changing it?? What a bunch of flip-floppers....

VertiGone said:

If you go to metacritic.com and check out AROBTTH, Q's rating is 80 which is equivalent to a 4/5. I guess they had a change of heart. What's the point of giving a review and then changing it?? What a bunch of flip-floppers....

Q is affected by the moon and the sun as well then?

TC2290 said:

Q is affected by the moon and the sun as well then?

I think it's normal...

Maybe it was another journalist...

Or maybe it's the same one but with time he changed his mind.

But 4 out of 5 is excellent guys!

TC2290 said:

What the hell is AROBTTH?!?!?

I have to say interference is abbreviation heaven!

It's like watching Countdown sometimes. (But I'm usually good at conundrums)

:huh:

So what the hell is TC2290, :wink: jk of course TC.

I've been to a couple of sites, and this is no reflection on Aussies here on the board, but Undercover hasn't even mentioned U2 lately, in their newsletter's. I only subscribed to it orginally because they had an article about U2. But since then it's almost as if they go out of their way to NOT mention U2.
Same with Spin they would rather die, it seems than mention the guy's. Forget them.:madspit: I'll take 4 of 5 thank you.:yes:

Murray said:
4 out of 5 is not excellent.

It's good.

For me it goes like this:

1/5 = bad record
2/5 = so so record
3/5 = good record
4/5 = excellent record
5/5 = the perfect record

roy said:

Agree. The weak songs on the second side must be really weak. No change there...

Uh...do you base your opinions on other people's? NME only gave Achtung Baby 7/10 when it came out and to me there is no way that is an accurate score.

Back
Top Bottom