MERGED-->Original of the Species Super thread!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FullonEdge2 said:

I have the full version if you want it.

do you have a link or something to the full version? the song is even better with only piano!

Aardvark747 said:
How different is it from the live Apple version? Ive only heard that one...

It's pretty hard to even compare. I liked the Apple performance, but the studio version is mindblowing.

OOTS is not only my favorite track from HTDAAB, but it's easily in the top 5 of my favorite U2 songs of all time. Perhaps even top 3. It's beautiful, soaring, and very emotional. I really haven't felt so strongly about a song since I first heard JT. The great thing is that I can make similar lofty claims about at least 4 tracks on HTDAAB.

i love, love, love this song. it's possibly the closest U2 have come to recording sheer joy. it's too soon to tell, but i suspect that this song has snuck into my top 5...

:love:

This is simply the best U2 song ever...step aside One. When One came out no one thought it was this powerful.

In The APPLE version Bono says : "this is the part when becames a hit", and everybody in the audience starts to laugh...

But the album version is a masterpiece in every single way...is easily in the TOP 10 of U2 catalog...

ADecentMelody said:

Yes, I second this, Mofo. Those emotions are all there and is captured perfectly by the melody and guitar work. To me, it also adds so much more to the song knowing it's Bono singing about Edge's daughter, Holly. He sees her growing up and going out into the world and sort of living through her his experiences when he was the same age. All the insecurities of being accepted by your peers, the doubts of going out into the world, the uncertainties, etc...walking alone beneath Shadows and Tall Trees.

Still my favorite tune on the album... :)

This song increased from "like" to "totally dig" for me.

I actually hear Bono singing to Adam (of Adam and Eve), not to one of his kids, or the bassist for that matter.

Although, it's common for him to write songs that can be templated to multiple themes. His tendancy still seems to be directed to biblical references, so I automatically thought "Original of The Species" was a direct link to Adam.

This just has to be one of the 4 songs played acoustically for the box set. I've heard the stripped ipod version and the massive album version and it doesn't matter how you play this song, it's just awesome.

I think Original of the Species is the best song on the album.

It's the best song on the album bar-none. This song is incredible. It builds up so wonderfully then explodes at the last chorus, where I LOVE Bono's vocals. Man this is such a great uplifting song. I love this song. One of my new favorites by U2.

Cant scroll thru 7 pages....

But this is BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES...and almost sounds kindof Oasis too...no wonder...but anyhoo...I agree that the song is beautiful....but I don't agree that it is in U2's top 10, nope.

I think the newness and wonder is getting to some peoples heads...no way this is U2 top 10 in my opinion.

But I still give it a 9/10! (1 point deducted for sounding like somebody else lol) :)

(sure beats the shit out of Wild Honey as a musical nod to a band they love :yes:)

i'll never forgive U2 if they dont release this as a single.
Its just pure magic, one of the songs i'll hum along to all my life probably.
please release this sometime in late summer lads!!!
I can so see this becoming teh song that silences all those indifferent critics and haters.

gorman said:

It's pretty hard to even compare. I liked the Apple performance, but the studio version is mindblowing.

OOTS is not only my favorite track from HTDAAB, but it's easily in the top 5 of my favorite U2 songs of all time. Perhaps even top 3. It's beautiful, soaring, and very emotional. I really haven't felt so strongly about a song since I first heard JT. The great thing is that I can make similar lofty claims about at least 4 tracks on HTDAAB.

I totally agree on this one! One of their best songs ever. This songs lifts you up and the part where Bono sings: ´And you feel etc..´still gives me goosebumps.

It is truly a moving song. I'm still unsure about who Bono really wrote it for, but his quote about it being about young people who are facing problems with who they are makes it even more beautiful. I like the idea that he wrote it to reach out to the younger U2 fans.

Back
Top Bottom