MERGED-->OK, suppose you were given the superpower to make U2 re-do an album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
OK, suppose you were given the superpower to make U2 re-do an album...

...which album would you choose and what would you make them change.

If you're of the opinion that everything U2 has done is perfect, that's fine, but your response to that effect isn't necessary. Play U2 God for a minute and change an album! Big change, small change, any kind of change - but it can only be on ONE album...

Let me make it clear that there will be no hard feelings between you and U2 over this - they will love you for your insight and magical ability to erase and re-write history and invite you to vacation with them and their families for months after the record is done.

Let's hear 'em! (I'll chime in later)

I guess October because of the lyrics he lost, even though it is already my favourite album.

I'd want to change something on every single album, but I pick POP for this particular discussion:

- I would basically make them take away all the unnecessary electronic bells and whistles that add nothing to the songs and only create clutter. Like the annoying whooshy sound in "If God Will Send His Angels".

- Re-mix "Please", a good song bogged down by the production.

- The album version of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" always bored me stiff; nice evocative guitar work from Edge but nothing else really. I was then completely blown away when I heard the new version from the Jools Holland CD. I think that if Bono's vocal performance on the POP version was anywhere as dynamic it would be one of my favourite U2 songs ever.

- Remove "Miami" from the album and bury it in a garden somewhere.

- "Playboy Mansion" - I actually like the tune, but the "Coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson - history" lyrics make me cringe because IMO this sort of lyrics is just something that Bono can't really pull off convincingly.

- Although I still love the album version of "Gone", I'd add the little bits of Edge's vocals just after Bono sings "I'm not coming down" in the chorus; just like in a live version.

Saracene said:

- Although I still love the album version of "Gone", I'd add the little bits of Edge's vocals just after Bono sings "I'm not coming down" in the chorus; just like in a live version.

DOWWWWWWWWWN!

oh, and i wouldn't change a thing

Saracene said:
I'd want to change something on every single album, but I pick POP for this particular discussion:

- I would basically make them take away all the unnecessary electronic bells and whistles that add nothing to the songs and only create clutter. Like the annoying whooshy sound in "If God Will Send His Angels".

- Re-mix "Please", a good song bogged down by the production.

- The album version of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" always bored me stiff; nice evocative guitar work from Edge but nothing else really. I was then completely blown away when I heard the new version from the Jools Holland CD. I think that if Bono's vocal performance on the POP version was anywhere as dynamic it would be one of my favourite U2 songs ever.

- Remove "Miami" from the album and bury it in a garden somewhere.

- "Playboy Mansion" - I actually like the tune, but the "Coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson - history" lyrics make me cringe because IMO this sort of lyrics is just something that Bono can't really pull off convincingly.

You nailed my thoughts exactly!!

Zooropa

I think Zooropa needs a bit more work doing to it to make the sound fuller. I guess they were restricted at the time because of touring, but it doesn't sound as good as it could. Although it is one of my favourite albums.

I would probably dump the live tracks out of Rattle and Hum and add the two original B-sides to beef it up a little.

Salome said:
I would re-do Achtung Baby with acoustic guitars only

:lmao: and maybe replace the bass lines with flute parts.

not a bad idea

that might even save their artistic integrity

Last edited:
rattle n' hum

If I could change one album I'd change Rattle and Hum. I'd take out all the live stuff and add A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, Hallelujah Here She Comes, and the cover of either Everlasting Love or Unchained Melody. Then take the live cuts and add more from the actual video release and have made an entirely seperate live version of Rattle and Hum.

Last edited:
I would have to say The Joshua Tree. I would not really change any of the songs on it, but it definetly would of been a double album with all those great B-sides mixed into it. Walk to the Water, Deep in the Heart, Silver and Gold, etc... Why these are not "A-side" material still eludes me.

NO questions about it, 4 me, it would have 2 be ATYCLB. Soz, but that was an album with so much potential, but was ruined. First of all, I wud turn it into what they said it was going to be, which was the sound of a band playing 2gether in a room, NOT what they gave us, which was good music buried in synthesised shit.

Beautiful Day - make it Sounds like Boston. Same Goes for Elevation.
SIAM is groovy
Walk On is fine, cept shudn've recorded full 7 minute version!
Kite - ARGH - wud've been SO good without the synth bit!
In a Little While cudn't b any better
Wild Honey shud have been dropped all2gether + REplaced with Big Girls are Best
Peace on Earth - the drums just don't work

The last the are ok, but nothing special

All the others albums rock my world!

And I love Electrical Storm - That's the way 2 do it!

redo pop with absolutely no guitars.

in fact, while theyre at it, they may as well redo all their albums and take out all hints of guitar and replace it with bells and whistles.

as for the person who said the synth bit in kite should be taken out, to me thats the best sound on the entire atyclb disk.

different strokes for different folks, ah ha ha ha. :wink:

Flag Pole Pear said:
as for the person who said the synth bit in kite should be taken out, to me thats the best sound on the entire atyclb disk.

different strokes for different folks, ah ha ha ha. :wink:
ahhh so now we're back to flag pole...
Whatever happened to the oh so delightful quano achibibibi ajibibibi? :lol:
Agreed on the above comment, by the way :up:
:drool: Kite :drool:

I'd actually like to hear an acoustic version of AB...good idea Salome.

Seriously, I think it would be cool. A few songs would have to be revised..Zoo Station for one, but I think it would work quite well as an acoustic album.

Have I lost all integrity with this post :confused:

popkidu2 said:
Have I lost all integrity with this post :confused:
well, since you're not a member of U2 quite yet, you should be alright
although agreeing with me might cause you to lose some points

Hmmm....I'd probably change "War." I'd take off Refugee (or make them redo it to sound less 80's) and get rid of those annoying female backround singers.

war was definitly hit and miss. you have incredible super-songs like sunday bloody sunday, new years day and 40, but then you have songs like red light and the refugee.

ah well. they tried their best im sure!

Back
Top Bottom