MERGED-->New mixes - does the casual fan notice? + New Mixes + More importantly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattress

Babyface
90-00: Even More Importantly...

Okay, I need to spew off a few questions, and I'm sorry if I come off as an idiot...I'm a fan but not a big enough one to immediately notice or have a knowledge of the following...

What tracks weren't credited as alternate versions?

Does anyone have an explaination for the line change in "Mysterious Ways"?

Is "Beautiful Day" the single mix or no?

Are any other edits or alternate mixes unlisted in the same manner as the "80-90" collection?

Where is the BBC radio version of "Electrical Storm" as heard on the leaked MP3?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. :wink:

Re: 90-00: Even More Importantly...

What tracks weren't credited as alternate versions?

Are any other edits or alternate mixes unlisted in the same manner as the "80-90" collection?
The remixes of "Salom?," "Numb," and "Discoth?que" on the second disc are edits. But they suck anyway. Then there were the weird edits of "Mysterious Ways" and "Miss Sarajevo."
Does anyone have an explaination for the line change in "Mysterious Ways"?
Nobody.
Is "Beautiful Day" the single mix or no?
The only mixes of "Beautiful Day" are the album mix (same as on the single) and the two dance remixes.
Where is the BBC radio version of "Electrical Storm" as heard on the leaked MP3?
On the internet. Not on any official releases and not likely to be.

Actually, Beautiful Day did have a different mix in the video. The only difference was the Edge's pounding riff in the chorus was gone, it was just Bono and Edge's echoey backing vocals.

New mixes - does the casual fan notice?

There has been a ton of debate about U2 putting new mixes of SATS, Gone, Disco and Numb on the new Best Of. Personally I think the differences are very noticeable and I like all but Numb better than the originals.

However - has/will the casual fan notice the difference? Of the 5 casual fans I know that bought the new Best Of yesterday - only one noticed a difference - she thought the guitar sounded different on Disco. These are all solid U2 fans.

So my question is this - do you think most U2 fans will even realize or care about the new mixes?

I have a feeling only many of us die-hards will notice.

Thoughts?

Well most of them will not notice differences between the new and the old version of gone and SATS.

But many will realize that Numb and Disco have been remixed.

Disco:

- the whole intro is new (and much better than the old one/it sonds like you are standing outside of an club)
- there is no "love part" after the first refrain
- altogether this mix sounds much fresher than the album version
- the way the song ends is completely different

Numb:

:larry::ohmy:

- well Larry can`t sing :D

Last edited:
I'd probably be called a casual fan, but it's kind of hard to miss when everything on CD1 says "New Mix". (j/k)

I would have noticed the Pop stuff because I've listened to the original album so much...not sure how I missed the line change in Mysterious Ways first time through though...

"Numb" seems to be the most obvious and offensive mix seeing as Bono's high pitched "I feeel numb" is now in his normal register. Rediculous. At least the others still sound like their hit versions, but are still different enough to make this collection enjoyable.

Mattress said:
I'd probably be called a casual fan, but it's kind of hard to miss when everything on CD1 says "New Mix". (j/k)
:laugh: :yes:

"Numb" seems to be the most obvious and offensive mix seeing as Bono's high pitched "I feeel numb" is now in his normal register. Rediculous. At least the others still sound like their hit versions, but are still different enough to make this collection enjoyable.
:yes:

i would essentially say the obvious: the more dramatic the change in the new mix, the more likely a casual fan is to notice, and vice versa.

New Mixes

Haven't heard them all yet. Right now I'm listening to the new mix of Gone. It's not really all that different from the original, imo, and the changes that were made, I think, were positive. I was so psyched that they added Edge's echo "doooooooooooooown" in the chorus. That was always my favorite part when they played it live.

What's your favorite new mix?

Numb. I like it more than the original, which is hard to say because I really love the original. Unfortunately I don't like the fact you can hear Larry's vocals so prominately -- kind of destroys the song, and makes it sound clunky, IMO.

The Gone remix is like the live version. I like it. :) I really don't like the Discotheque remix though -- I miss the boomchas :(

Last edited:
:scratch: So that IS still Larry doing the "I feel numb" part? Interesting!

After having listened to all the new mixes now, I have to say that the only one I like better than the original is Gone...The others are cool. Interesting to hear what they did with them. I like how you can hear what Edge is saying better in Numb. It's not quite so mumbly (if that's even a word! :lol:)

Well I love the new mix of Gone.
The song is so powerful now.
The Pop version is good too, but not that good I think.

The new version of Numb is also better than the album version.

I guess I forgot the "David Holmes Remix" of "Beautiful Day" too (although that was a re-recording with no vocals). Anyway, I just want to say that I really like the new guitar parts in the "Numb" remix.

I was going to start a new thread, but I thought that would be excessive with this thread, so.. here goes.

On the Mofo Remixes single, there is a remix of IGWSHA, called the Grand Jury Mix. I had always liked that mix much better, and had listened to the single a lot. Then, today I listened to the b-sides disc of Best Of, and I realized the IGWSHA remix included on there, which is called the Big Yam Mix, sounds identical to the Grand Jury mix. Is there any difference between the two? Did they just rename that mix (if they did, what's the point?), or is it slightly different and I just didn't notice? I *did* notice that the Big Yam mix is 2 seconds longer than the Grand Jury mix, but other than that, I didn't notice anything different.

Re: New Mixes

wertsie said:
Haven't heard them all yet. Right now I'm listening to the new mix of Gone. It's not really all that different from the original, imo, and the changes that were made, I think, were positive. I was so psyched that they added Edge's echo "doooooooooooooown" in the chorus. That was always my favorite part when they played it live.

What's your favorite new mix?

Gone is definitely my favorite remix. It's the only one that I feel that has one-upped the original. The song just grew so much live & they incorporated most of those elements in the new mix.

I didn't really have high hopes for the new mix of SATS. I thought the original was perfect. It's interesting to listen to, but I like the vibe of the version on POP. (For another take on SATS, check out the Monster Truck version. Now that's a remix!)

Discotheque is probably the strangest remix of them all. It's like they took all of the Disco out of the song. It almost sounds like a demo now. I thought the whole point of the tune was to go over the top. The original defies catagorization. It seems kind of bland on the remix. And of course the Boom-chas are gone too. They even had those live. Love em or hate em, they are kind of intergal to the song IMO.

Numb is no big deal, but I like the original better. The Soul Assassins version is a cool remix as well.

All in all, it is cool to have something different, but I prefer the originals save for Gone.

elevatedmole said:
On the Mofo Remixes single, there is a remix of IGWSHA, called the Grand Jury Mix. I had always liked that mix much better, and had listened to the single a lot. Then, today I listened to the b-sides disc of Best Of, and I realized the IGWSHA remix included on there, which is called the Big Yam Mix, sounds identical to the Grand Jury mix. Is there any difference between the two? Did they just rename that mix (if they did, what's the point?), or is it slightly different and I just didn't notice? I *did* notice that the Big Yam mix is 2 seconds longer than the Grand Jury mix, but other than that, I didn't notice anything different.

They're the same.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/62.html

Oh, and I just noticed this: they misspelled "Hexadecimal" on the set.

typhoon said:
Oh, and I just noticed this: they misspelled "Hexadecimal" on the set.

Celebrate triteness:
Maybe I just happen to like silver better than the gold...but I did want to comment on how much more appealing and accurately this one was put together, visually speaking, than it's predecessor.

For one, it actually says the correct title on the spine...:eyebrow:
but beyond that the single-sized print and overall layout of the tracks on the back cover is organised much better.

First order of business for me was to check the spine, then to make sure all parenthesis were the same size..."SWEETEST THING (THE SINGLE MIX)" anyone? :huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom