MERGED ---> NEW album has been stolen... + Edge speaks... + Okay who.. + Stolen CD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does your dog bite? (takes a chunk of Larry's arm). I thought you said, youre dog does not bite....
It is not my dog -

Classic Film

So boys and girls - hypothetically speaking, would you download soemthing on a p2p site that said u2-stolen demo tape-atomic bomb?
Hypothetically it was bogus by the way:wink: because I hypothetically downloaded it - but felt guilty the entire time - darn catholic guilt!

Numb1075 said:
Does your dog bite? (takes a chunk of Larry's arm). I thought you said, youre dog does not bite....
It is not my dog -

Classic Film

I love the Pink Panther movies!

a new Pink Panther movie where Inspector Clouseau tries to locate the missing CD. Between the Irish accents and the French accents it would be a riot.

Allright, "PR stunt" theory fans: how do you explain the fact that they waited from Tuesday till yesterday to go public and that the police is questioning people?

And, given U2's perfectionism, WHY would they leak anything (especially if it's really finished) 4 months ahead of the album release? (remember how they reacted with AB outtakes, and those were far from finished)

Here's what's bugging them IMO:
Let's say 10 hear this music: 4 really like it, 2 don't like it and 4 really don't care for it. What if only the 4 haters and 2 dislikers are the kind of fans who go and talk on fan forums? Then a certain group of people will beLIEve the music is bad, and they pass it on to other fans at forums, so the amount of people who heard "it's not really that good" grows and they decide to pass on the album. (not to mention we don't know if those are final mixes/versions or even which songs will end up on the album so the final product may be different, and the fans would be upset too early over music that may not even be released!)

We all know what happens when a major band/singer gets a leak of their music - they hurry up before anything comes out. WHY would U2 want that, after barely finishing recording and going on vacation?

A week from now, no one outside of U2 fans who read internet forums and news won't care or remember so what's the point of going through all this?

u2girl, my actual theory is that the album wasn't actually stolen, but that there are no plans to actually leak any of the tracks, and that this story was solely to create a "buzz" about the new album.

look, it got us talking. and how many of your friends have you mention this to? it's all about word of mouth.

seriously guys...this was a total publicity stunt

i doubt that some of the tracks will be released (yet), but look how much coverage U2 has gotten and will get by this weekend. They're just getting thier name in the news again, i think.

yeah, they got the French police involved, but the band says it was "lost or stolen," so that "lost" option, whatever it may be, can still be used by the guys to cover their asses.

it's not like u2 has always followed the police (Streets video)

None of the police remarks are sourced either. No officer name is given making these remarks, and no specific dept is mentioned, just "police in southern France."

BREAKING NEWS!!! SOURCES FROM INSIDE THE NICE, FRANCE POLICE STATION HAVE RELEASED THE FOLLOWING COMPOSITE DRAWING OF THE ALLEGED PERP... BE ON THE LOOKOUT.

hamburglar.gif

some good points disco, the only thing is over 20 people are now involved in a possible criminal investigation. it's different being civilly disobedient and it's a whole other screwing over your 20 colleagues. that's just mean. the police are involved. they are either "in" on the stunt or just as ignorant as everybody else. and, if they were "in" on it, i'm not sure how far they would go with it before it goes too far. and finally, the whole thing could backfire and seems way excessive and unnecessary. filing a false report is a criminal offense and u2 don't need bad press right before the launch of the new album and tour, even "if" they claim they "found" it.

My gut feeling now is that Edge probably misplaced it and left it out somewhere. someone later saw it, got all excited, and took it in a split moment without really thinking. but that someone probably just made a remarkably poor choice, and is now terrified at being caught. so it is highly unlikely, in my view, that the tracks will be released. whoever took it will probably guarded it now closer than even the band apparently did.

I dunno if this has been posted yet, but...

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/07/16/france.u2/index.html

Police probe missing U2 songs
Friday, July 16, 2004 Posted: 1234 GMT (2034 HKT)

PARIS, France -- Irish rock band U2 have called in the police after a copy of songs from their new CD disappeared while they were posing for the cover photo.

An unfinished copy of the group's upcoming CD disappeared while the Irish rock band was posing for the album cover in a studio outside Nice, southern France.

About 20 people who were at Tuesday's photo shoot were questioned by police, who told The Associated Press it was unclear whether the CD's disappearance was accidental or theft.

"A large slice of two years work lifted via a piece of round plastic. It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us... and it was my CD.," guitarist Edge told the band's official Web site.

The CD contained tracks to be included on their new album, the first in four years, tipped to be called Vertigo.

According to U2.com, the band recently completed much of the recording of the much-awaited new album in Dublin and have been involved in post-production work in France.

It was to be the first new studio album from U2 since "All That You Can't Leave Behind" nearly four years ago.

"The recording of this album has been going so well," added Paul McGuinness of Principle Management.

"The band is so excited about its release. It would be a shame if unfinished work fell into the wrong hands."

"This matter is of great concern to us," said Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group UK.

"As the missing CD is our property, we're very keen find it as soon as possible and the French police are being extremely helpful in this regard."

Reports say the new album could end up on the Internet where fans would be able to download it for free -- costing the band and the record company millions in lost revenue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

"Tipped to be called 'Vertigo'"? I think they've been hanging around Interference too much :wink:

Adam probably put the cd his pocket and forgot about it or summat, and they're too embarrassed to admit it so they're just going to wait for the whole thing to blow over...

Fox news just reported "it was spinning on the player at a photo shoot in Nice when someone grabbed it a ran" Then something about it being the master copy and "It was due out in Nov. but you've probably heard it by now", said the reporter.
Of course Fox like's to put their own spin on reports so I don't know about the grab and run or 'master copy' thing being true.
God I hope not. :mad: :|

Has anyone heard from Elvis on this? I wonder what he thinks.

I will tell you what I think - I agree it was probably accidentally on purpose. The NME article was almost tongue in cheek in my opinion. "oh yeah and if you happen to have the CD please give it back" I'm sure! Yea after Ive made a copy or two and uploaded them to the net. Yeah right.

This definitely smells of conspiracy. Definitely keeps the U2 fans talking and excited too.

Eitther way this is great PR. My other though is in agreement with the person who thinks maybe it was never really lost but the story is just to create buzz. At least the world now knows it is out in November.

You couldnt have asked for a better press release.

Didnt something happen like this to Eminem (or some rapper) and they did end up putting the CD out earlier because it was already all over the net?

November is too far away I will tell you that - I am ready for new U2 music before summer's end. Someone email me at: proflatino2@yahoo.com if it pops up anywhere. I dont check this site nearly as much as I used to back in the ATYCLB days...

hey Ive got 2 GIGABYTES of webspace and UNLIMITED bandwidth...Riversteed where are you???

sue4u2 said:
Fox news just reported "it was spinning on the player at a photo shoot in Nice when someone grabbed it a ran" Then something about it being the master copy and "It was due out in Nov. but you've probably heard it by now", said the reporter.
Of course Fox like's to put their own spin on reports so I don't know about the grab and run or 'master copy' thing being true.

fox: those candyass liberal tree hugging bastards stole it!

sue4u2 said:

i don't think you can ever trust fox news 100%

Edge will probably find the CD at the nearest RadioShack in Nice

lol this guy is so stupid. He could have made it more believable by saying how many tracks there are, making up a phoney but believable tracklist. Posting a picture of a burnt cd with some title scribbled in black texta such as 'new demos' or something.

well well well

MrBrau1 said:
None of the police remarks are sourced either. No officer name is given making these remarks, and no specific dept is mentioned, just "police in southern France."

Ahem doubting people...look at U2News for the Guardian article, a police officer in charge for this matter has been quoted by name. Also, the management had an emergency meeting yesterday in London.

But nooo, it's all a PR stunt, right?

Police probably wasn't sourced so far because as the investigation is in process, they don't want to put out any information that might compromise the results.

Mikal, I didn't talk to my friends because I don't think anyone of them listens to U2. (or cares about such news, anyway) My brother is a fan but he isn't as obsessed about it as to leap on the internet and look for the news daily. Second, yes it got us talking but we're only a small fraction of U2's fanbase worldwide - I'm sure the average fan is older than 20something and does not use internet as much.

All they ever needed to do to get the buzz going would be to go public and put out the album name, date release, tracklisting and the name and release date for the first single. Besides the buzz was already created by the numerous descriptions of the new material by people who heard it.

As for that ebay link-note the 2atom link that is mentioned; it's a fake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom