MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gav6519

War Child
new album 20th november!

jo whiley has just said that the new u2 greatest hits album will be out 20th november! it will include all the hits so far!! and WILL have the green day colloboration on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just heard, i dont see the point of this new 'greatest hits' album. how can it possibly have all the hits on it, unless its a double album. its just gonna be the same as the best of's. also theres goin to be another new song on it, and its also realeased on the same day as Oasis's greatest hits album.

that is a really poor move. very 1998, extra track so fans will buy. Depeche Mode are doing the same thing. I won't buy either. This is the kind of move that non U2 fans thrive on.

I don't want to be prematurely negative, but I don't see a point of another Best Of album when they have already covered it.

Best of 'Live' though might work.

i cant see this album being a huge success, every1 has already got the best of's, they mightaswell wait till 2010 and release the best of 00-10.

I don't believe this to be true just yet.
We have not yet had a SINGLE word of confirmation from the band's management, label, or members.
Lots of people have been meeting the members of U2 at Abbey Road studios and book signings in the past few weeks, and have been asking them about a new album being released.
If this Greatest Hits was true, I'm sure they would have let something slip, especially if it's out next month.
Just for the record, though, I think it would be a very unnecessary release, with the period 1980-2000 already being covered.

Official confirmation just in on U2.com:

"Definitive ‘Best Of’ On The Way

Sixteen of U2’s best known songs and two new tracks are on a single ‘Best of” CD released next month.

No word on a title for the album yet nor what the track-listing is but the release date is set for November 20th.

Along with 16 of the band’s best known songs (start predicting them now!) one of the two new tracks is the band’s collaboration with Green Day while the other is a brand new song.

Both were recorded during sessions at London’s Abbey Road last month and are produced by Rick Rubin.

Ahead of the new collection, the U2/Green Day version of The Skids’ track ‘The Saints Are Coming’ will be released as a digital download on 30th October and as a CD single on 6th November.

Proceeds from ‘The Saints’ will benefit Music Rising

The bands’ debuted the song live at the re-opening of the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans last Monday. Catch a stream of the live version here where it is also available for US-only download.

More news on the album – including the tracklisting – as soon as we get it!"

So there you go! Aside from the Green Day thing, the possibility of a new song, which I'm guessing would be released as a single, is exciting, but otherwise I agree with most of what's been written here. I just don't see the point of another "best of" at this stage.

a new song is cool but couldnt they have just released it on itunes or something?

another best of seems extremely unnecessary at this point

16 best songs? Thats realy stupid, It would have been more smart to realse a dbl cd.

1.I Will Follow
2.Gloria
3.SBS
4.New Years Day
5.Pride
6.Unforgettable Fire
7.Bad
8.WOWY
9.ISHFWILF
10.WTSHNN
11.Desire
12.All I Want Is You
13.The Fly
14.Even Better Then The Real Thing
15.One
16.Who'S Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17.Numb
18.Stay
19.Lemon
20.HMTMKMKM
21.Mysterious Ways
22.Discotheque
23.SATS
24.Sweetest Thing
25.BD
26.SIAMAYCGOOI
27.Elevation
28.Walk On
29.Electrical Storm
30.Vertigo
31.SYCMIOYO
32.COBL
33.ABOY
34.OOTS

New Best Of on November 20th

Official confirmation just in on U2.com:

"Definitive ‘Best Of’ On The Way

Sixteen of U2’s best known songs and two new tracks are on a single ‘Best of” CD released next month.

No word on a title for the album yet nor what the track-listing is but the release date is set for November 20th.

Along with 16 of the band’s best known songs (start predicting them now!) one of the two new tracks is the band’s collaboration with Green Day while the other is a brand new song.

Both were recorded during sessions at London’s Abbey Road last month and are produced by Rick Rubin.

Ahead of the new collection, the U2/Green Day version of The Skids’ track ‘The Saints Are Coming’ will be released as a digital download on 30th October and as a CD single on 6th November.

Proceeds from ‘The Saints’ will benefit Music Rising

The bands’ debuted the song live at the re-opening of the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans last Monday. Catch a stream of the live version here where it is also available for US-only download.

More news on the album – including the tracklisting – as soon as we get it!"

16 best songs? Thats realy stupid, It would have been more smart to realse a dbl cd.

1.I Will Follow
2.Gloria
3.SBS
4.New Years Day
5.Pride
6.Unforgettable Fire
7.Bad
8.WOWY
9.ISHFWILF
10.WTSHNN
11.Desire
12.All I Want Is You
13.The Fly
14.Even Better Then The Real Thing
15.One
16.Who'S Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17.Numb
18.Stay
19.Lemon
20.HMTMKMKM
21.Mysterious Ways
22.Discotheque
23.SATS
24.Sweetest Thing
25.BD
26.SIAMAYCGOOI
27.Elevation
28.Walk On
29.Electrical Storm
30.Vertigo
31.SYCMIOYO
32.COBL
33.ABOY
34.OOTS

This means it the last record on the contract, the contract said three Best Of. What will happen then?

No. Please no. We don't need another Best Of. :|

But despite my disappointment at a Best Of, let me just give an emphatic HOORAY!!!! for a brand new song. It may only be one, but still, that's really cool and maaaaybe we'll get it live in Australia and NZ.

I sincerely hope none of the songs on this collection will be repeats of songs on the two prior Best Ofs but I'm not holding my breath.

This is such a dumb move and I wonder what marketing fool came up with this idea. Are they just trying to solve the problem of casual fans not being sure whether to get the Best Of 1980-1990 or 1990-2000? Because it will surely backfire and just split sales between three rather than two Best Ofs.

If it repeats any tracks on the old Best Ofs, it will also reek of redundancy. I'd like to hope that it won't, but the article speaks of it being a 'definitive' Best Of, and what kind of definitive U2 Best Of would lack songs like SBS and Streets? And throwing on ONE brand new song to entice diehard fans to part with their money (I don't really care about some cover, and what's Green Day doing on a definitive U2 Best Of?) just reeks of a cashgrab, and is as much of a slap in the face of U2's most dedicated supporters as was making the iTunes Unreleased and Rare only available if you bought U2's entire catalogue or the insulting U2 Communication disc from U2.com.

Bloody hell, there are so many problems with this. Why not just release an EP? A digital single? A Best Of is completely unnecessary. I won't be buying it.

I totally agree, axver. This release is totally unnecessary, but I guess they're bringing out to support the final leg of the vertigo tour ,starting in november. How definitive can this cd be ? I mean I can think of 16 songs alone from the last 2 albums that would merit a place on a best of collection.

So that is what Adam meant when I asked him when the new album was out ( september 18 ) outside Abbey Road. He replied 'a couple of months' but I would never have guessed it would have been another best of.

Yes, wtf is Green Day doing on a u2 best of cd ? Do U2 think colloborating with their 'peers' will make them more appealing to the masses? Do they even need the money ?

The promise of one new song may slightly persuade the die hard fan to part with their cash for tracks they already own twice.

Disappointing, lads, Disappointing.

Now bring out a proper new album !!

Re: New Best Of

Wow. This is the worst news I've heard yet. Doesn't U2 have enough money by now? Have U2 officially jumped the shark?

It was bad enough that they tried to rewrite history on the best of 1990-2000 by putting together a tracklisting that completely eliminated why U2 were pioneers and ground breaking in the 90's (no fly, lemon, mofo, remix pop) in favour of a tracklisting that was safe rock (ala All that you can't leave behind) just to sell records.

Now we are bombarded by products that clearly emphasize the fact that u2 are looking back, not forward. They are really starting to remind of the rolling stones. The stones release a new best of every few years with the same songs to cover up the fact that their new material is way below par.

I think we need to send that journalist from chicago who conducted the most honest interview with Bono I have ever read to Australia to wake up the band. These guys need a reality check?

Way to go boys!

Axver said:

I sincerely hope none of the songs on this collection will be repeats of songs on the two prior Best Ofs.

Huh?? :scratch:

It's a Best Of. You think it's not gonna include I Will Follow, NYD, etc? Of course it will.

This release makes no sense to me. Talk about overkill...

Re: Re: New Best Of

soctheo said:
Have U2 officially jumped the shark?

Yes. No doubt in my mind.

I'm excited for the new song, but another Best Of is such an appallingly dreadful move.

Whats even more meaningless is that it comes out after the Australian leg....so the the likelyness of the one song being played is lessened, although i'm sure it would be special for NZ, Japan and Hawaii

I'll be just getting the leaked version (maybe put it on my xmas list), i've brought all the U2 albums, and a lot of singles from the ATYCLB - HTDAAB paid heaps to go overseas and now seeing them in Oz, I think thats reasonable I wont be paying $20-30 for songs I own already!

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Huh?? :scratch:

It's a Best Of. You think it's not gonna include I Will Follow, NYD, etc? Of course it will.

You keep making stupid replies to my posts (characterised by huhs), and this is the best example of them because you edited my bloody post where it addressed your very question. Like I said, as much as I'd want it to not include repeats (so to introduce casual fans to a broader selection of U2's material and make the release a modicum more worthwhile), I'M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH. That means "I don't think my hope will come to fruition at all".

to everyone who's bitching about this i have but two words...

eh hem...

WHO CARES!!!

so they put out another greatest hits record... whoopity doo. not like any of us needed the first two, either. we all already have the songs. the only thing any u2 fan should give a crap about is NEW MATERIAL.

the third hits album fulfills a contract obligation. who cares. NEW MATERIAL :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom