MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said Reggie, well said. That's really all there is to it when you get down to the bottom of this whole business.

it used to be so fun making fun of aerosmith though, now that u2 is out aerosmithing aerosmith all of that joy gets taken away from me

Do you think that while in Australia, NZ, Japan and Hawaii, U2 might, just might play Electrical Storm and the new song from the Best Of? You know, as a way to promote the new CD but give a shout out to previous compilations?

I Will Follow
Gloria
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Bad
Where the Streets have No Name
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking for
Desire
The Fly
One
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Original of the Species

16 tracks.....it sucks to leave so much off...

U2DMfan said:

They have nobody to blame but themselves.
IMO, they are trying to use their business acumen to try and rewrite their place in history.

They'll be as many apolgetic stories from the band in 10 years about what they were trying to accomplish NOW as there were for the mid and late 90's.

Why? Well, I just don't think they are that confident because so much of their success is tied up in the ego of being the greatest thing going.

Until they can resolve the issues of not being the coolest, biggest, baddest band in the world, they'll never age gracefully enough to where a diehard fan could defend them with a straight face.

I still love the band and I think their heart is in the right place, I just think their gameplan is for shit. I also have high hopes that they have an album left in them that will silence their critics, whom right now are quite simply, right.

Excellent post! Completely agree!

Guys, I promise that if my band ever makes it big we won't torture you with 3 compilation albums.

StlElevation said:
i look forward to it thanks to the new song. i'll buy it on the day it's released as I'm sure a lot of you will as well. you'll bitch about it, but you'll buy it and you'll like it.

I think I :heart: you :drool:

Chizip said:
it used to be so fun making fun of aerosmith though, now that u2 is out aerosmithing aerosmith all of that joy gets taken away from me

i bet there's gonna be the same huge babe in the next three U2 videos.

and don't forget 'the ultimate best of'
and the 'very best of'
and the 'singles collection'
and 'number 1s'
and 'best B-sides'
etc, etc,

every year around christmas another one...

U2DMfan said:

They have nobody to blame but themselves.
IMO, they are trying to use their business acumen to try and rewrite their place in history.

They'll be as many apolgetic stories from the band in 10 years about what they were trying to accomplish NOW as there were for the mid and late 90's.

Why? Well, I just don't think they are that confident because so much of their success is tied up in the ego of being the greatest thing going.

Until they can resolve the issues of not being the coolest, biggest, baddest band in the world, they'll never age gracefully enough to where a diehard fan could defend them with a straight face.

I still love the band and I think their heart is in the right place, I just think their gameplan is for shit. I also have high hopes that they have an album left in them that will silence their critics, whom right now are quite simply, right.
From an idealistic point of view, my gut feeling would sit well with your post. However, from a business point of view, their game plan is spot on - and I'm sure they'll be just fine (in a "thank you very much" kind of way). The truth is, none of us know what it would be like to be in their position. They have always believed that they should be as good at the business side as the artistic side of U2 - and this they clearly are. One has to wonder if the artistic side will (or has?) suffered as a result. And that's when the line gets crossed. It would be worse than so called "self indulgent music" (see Larry Mullen's comments on the Passengers album). For this would be self indulgent business. But I suppose business in the form of capitalism is like that by definition. I do believe art and commerce can meet in a synergistic sense...but I have to wonder if that's happening here. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. U2 will continue making their millions, and we the fans will relish in the new U2 album........when it comes out.

I'm just glad we get to hear a brand new song! woo hoo! :hyper:

As I posted on News section: This fake Definitive Best Of will be not only a throwaway, the worst piece of s*** U2 have released, but also a very dangerous move as well.

Everytime when a band release a "Greatest Hits" filled with the same songs again and again their credibility go to hell. That's what happened to bands like Kiss, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, etc, etc. Also that sellout move necessary end with fans overlooking the whole career, appearing the studio albums as disposable, only for collectors and die hard fans, and the "definitive" Greatest Hits as the only essential item for the fans of the band.

All the sublime songs not released as singles appear as destined for trivia discussions, and the tracks selected for the predictable "Definitive" crap are praised as the only good s*** the band has ever written.

A fantastic 25+ years career suddenly reduced to a bunch of arbitrary selected hits, one of the most important bands in Rock history reduced to a kinda by act and corporate sellouts. I simply can't believe it.

No matter which tracks the single disc "definitive" compilation will have, it will be the very worst mistake in U2's history, and will give the perfect chance to the anti-U2 media and all U2 haters to bash the band, now with a good deal of reason :(

PS: Now it's clear why they cancelled U2 By U2 deluxe edition. Sellouts

Last edited:
Maybe its time to call it a day on my u2 fandom is they release this SHIT.

I will become a u2 2000+ Basher and a anti u2 type of guy.

Dont make me do this u2....

It wont even reach number 1 in the Uk.

This news feels like u2 in my heart has ended.

:barf:

Last edited:
This is crap!
I loved tha band and I still love them. I'll buy everything they put out but not this "Best Of" CD...
I always loved U2 because they went against the stream musicaly, but now they are not doing that anymore and they are only doing some lame assed comercial steps - Mary J. Blige, Green Day, last two LP's etc...
And what is worse they come out with last album and claim that they are playing songs that you can not hear anymore on the radio - come on! I think that White Stripes, Strokes and bands like them made larger impact in terms of influence on the radio program than U2 in the US, and in UK and Europe rock was always popular - here they sound so mainstream that they could be concidered elevator music in last 6 years...

so what do I have now - albums that I don't listen to after the excitement passes, and their business steps that I would throw up on 10-15 years ago... but now I'm older and I don't care anymore if someone sells out...

the only thing that I have and that I love with all my heart is seing them live - only Pearl Jam comes close to them and not even near in that area...but on the integrity front they are in front by a large margin.

I never said anything against iPod commercial - it was even cool for me - but after last year or so I just don't see the same band that used to cover all the billboards on the stadium while playing their gig...

and their DVD's and other products - they don't even try or bother to put up some decent package - because they know that we will buy whatever they put out... at the beggining of vertigo tour thay were saying that we will be able to purchase some concerts on iTunes the day after the gig, that they are just waiting for technology to catch up with their idea - and what did we get? Nothing? Again - Pearl Jam - they are doing this for over than a year now - on their own software. So now I can buy the whole gig that I was on in Zagreb only 6 days ago...

promises and nothing specific out of them - big U2 ipod and we only get a possibilitie to pay and buy songs that we allready have for a discount.... come on...

for me they are realy turning to Aerosmith, aband that I despise.... even Metallica has more integrity in my eyes...

sorry guys, I realy had to vent a little bit....I'm frustrated with them for 5 years, I have faith and keep waiting for them to prove me right and to give us something to be proud of and now they come up with this sh*t...and we can expect another "hands that built..." kind of song...filler...

no, I'm not even excited about new material - it's one soneg guys...one song in 2-3 years... that's not worth discussion...it makes me only feel like a fool...

damn...sory one more time...frustrated...my speling is third-rate etc..

We don't need another Best Of, there's not enough songs for it anyway. And a "Definitive" collection? I thought U2 was better than that... this idea is bad, I mean I'd rather much wait until Milan or a new album rather than to have rehashed songs on a rehased album...

Marko said:

no, I'm not even excited about new material - it's one soneg guys...one song in 2-3 years... that's not worth discussion...it makes me only feel like a fool...

Bono and the rest of u2 + 1 think were gonna be thrilled over that new song , makes me sick.

I'd rather new just release a EP instead of this sad excuse of a album.

:barf:

I go to work for 8 hours and look what happens.

I tell ya, some people in this thread are acting like they just found out Bono clubs baby seals in his free time. It's just a greatest hits package. Most bands who've been around forever have many of them. It's not that big of a deal.

I'm excited to hear the new song. I'm with Nurse Chrissi... Turkey and new U2... :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom