MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2girl said:
And on a side note, the "definitive" autobiography, the "definitive" Best of their career - that has a creepy "the end of our career" vibe to it.
not really, maybe there just ready to let go of the past? after all bono, and even larry have both said they dont want to look at the past, but now its about the future both with the band and in there own personal lives

God, finally the end. I spent my last hour reading all the 14 pages. So the only thing I can add is :bono: :blahblah:, :larry: :crazy:, :adam: :drunk: :edge: :
:hmm:

Bono: I want U2 on the news. What a about a new Compilation, it will take us 10 years to make a decent album. I can't be off the news. I can't!! I'm afraid to people not knowing me!

Larry: Are you insane? I don't like the idea but lets see what Adam think. Adam?

Adam: I really don't care as long as I have my glass of vodka beside me.

Edge: Hmm, it could be a nice move for music rising...

I agree with the edge and if the money is donated to charity I'll probably buy two or three, but when I read the title of this thread I went :crazy:

1. I Will Follow
2. New Year's Day
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. Pride (In The Name of Love)
5. Where The Streets Have No Name
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. With or Without You
8. Desire
9. Angel of Harlem
10. Mysterious Ways
11. One
12. Beautiful Day
13. Elevation
14. Vertigo
15. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
16. Discotheque/Walk On/Bad/All I Want is You/Stay/Stuck in A Moment
17 & 18 - New Tracks

=========
It does seem likely that this will be the most mainstream compilation yet - being only 16 tracks forces this hand anyway. It is a shame though, since as I said, if U2 had a personal input into the selection it would give the compilation a different perspective. I doubt that U2's favourite tracks would be the most commercially accessible (other than Larry's haha).

1. An Cat Dubh
2. Into The Heart
3. The Ocean
4. Tomorrow
5. Drowning Man
6. Promenade
7. 4th Of July
8. Exit
9. Acrobat
10. Love Is Blindness
11. Numb
12. Always Forever Now
13. Mofo
14. Stateless
15. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
16. Fast Cars
17. Beach Clip 402

The new track had better be available for downolad by itself from iTunes.

KUEFC09U2 said:
not really, maybe there just ready to let go of the past? after all bono, and even larry have both said they dont want to look at the past, but now its about the future both with the band and in there own personal lives

That's what the last two Best ofs were for.

the second i read this story i thought "contract obligation", they have to release it. their just getting it out there to do so.

cool there's two new songs on there. casual fans will pick up the record because it's a good summary of their history, and us die hards have to do it also because of the new songs

RicoT.O said:
That reminds me I gotta buy a U2 Ipod (newer version with the brighter screen) and U2 By U2 book. Maybe I should check if Amazon is taking pre-orders for the new Best of Cd.

I am a true U2 fan.

If U2 decides to come out with shoes I will be the first mofo to order them and wear them.

I love U2!!!

<-- true fan!!!

You really are. I can't get the shoes the first day of their release...I won't be preordering them, I'll have to wait for a week or two. I suck, and I'm a pathetic excuse for a fan. :sad:

I wonder if this is related to the decision not to release a deluxe version of the new book. Maybe this cd was to be part of that originally, and now that the deluxe version isn't happening, the cd will come out on it's own?

U2girl said:

That's what the last two Best ofs were for.
i dunno am not entirley convinced, if i was just getting into a new band i wouldnt go getting 2 disk sets etc, i would wait for one big compelation of ALL of the bands work, and not just work from a certain period

i can't think of one redeeming quality in this
not even the new song which i would rather released as a stand alone like Electrical Storm

So, this fulfills the Best of contract.

I read a while ago on atu2.com that in the 1998 they re-did the 6 album deal they signed around the time of Zooropa and made it to a 3 album deal. All that, Bomb and ?.

Zootlesque said:
1. An Cat Dubh
2. Into The Heart
3. The Ocean
4. Tomorrow
5. Drowning Man
6. Promenade
7. 4th Of July
8. Exit
9. Acrobat
10. Love Is Blindness
11. Numb
12. Always Forever Now
13. Mofo
14. Stateless
15. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
16. Fast Cars
17. Beach Clip 402

Very, very good! The only songs I would like to change are The Ocean, 4th of July and Numb for Eleven O'Clock Tick Tock, Wire and Lemon

EDIT: But this is the Best Of that I'm expecting...

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Pride
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. I Believe
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Vertigo
7. Discotheque
8. I Will Follow
9. With Or Without You
10. Stay
11. Where The Streets Have No Name
12. The Saints Are Coming
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Angel of Harlem
15. Beautiful Day
16. One
17. All I Want Is You
18. Walk On

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Ah, don't let your cynical side cloud your judgement. Let's be reasonable here for a second: Why would U2 record (not write, but record) FOUR new songs knowing full well they were only going to use two of them for the greatest hits album? Why would they record two extra songs for no reason? The only answer that springs to mind is they were in the studio not just because of the greatest hits album, but also to test out Rubin and do some work for the next full length studio album. Can you honestly dispute this given the facts? The answer is an emphatic no.

First, everytime I've defended U2 on these boards (and I have been a sheep and defender all the time), I've been told that my judgement are cloudy. Now, the one time (actually the second, since I was not too happy with Mary Blige) I'm not happy with what U2 have decided, I'm cynical. I just can't listen to such claims.

I have no idea how many songs U2 have recorded. But they talked about a big surprise coming soon. And this was it. I have never said that they are not going to work on a new album, but I honestly hoped the surprise was something other than this. Obviously they have been working on getting this best of together, when some of us was hoping (and believing) for something completely different.

Michael Griffiths said:
Maybe for (some of) the diehards such as yourself, but not "for music listeners in general" as you suggest. For the general music listener, this is all part of the music business. For the indie kids and so forth, many of them think U2 is a joke anyway - and sold out long ago. So this will come as no surprise to them, either. This only leaves (some of) the diehards to be questioning the band - and possibly the critics. But the critics have been bashing U2 for years (while also simultaneously praising them, so it all evens out in the end...).
Not me. I know better. I'm talking about "music listeners in general". I know that many people interested in music already have the two best of's in their CD-collection. Of course most people interested in music know that U2 have released two best-of's already. I believe that I would be naive if I thought different. And they sure will know after the critics are finished. I think it is too soon, wether it has been U2 who decided this or their contract obligations. Now a third Best Of will come, and it will probably contain many songs already on the other two. I can absolutely understand if a non-diehard thinks that this is too much, and that he thinks U2 are milking it. Don't suggest that I believe this about U2. I'm talking about non-diehards. I said that "U2 will look like ..."
I don't like it - I'm really disappointed and I won't pay the full price of a CD for only two songs, but as I said: I still love them. And I'm probably still a sheep.
Now I'm finished discussing this. I'll just have to wait a little longer for something big from U2. That's ok. Now I'm off to put my daughter to bed. Good night.

This has echoes to me of the Oasis Greatest Hits album which is due out at the same time. Oasis are ending their contract soon with their record company and it was part of the deal that they issue a Greatest Hits although Noel wasn't too pleased about having to do so. Perhaps U2 are looking to sign a new contract but they have to honour the 3 best of deal :shrug:

KUEFC09U2 said:
i dunno am not entirley convinced, if i was just getting into a new band i wouldnt go getting 2 disk sets etc, i would wait for one big compelation of ALL of the bands work, and not just work from a certain period

+1

1. I Will Follow
2. Gloria
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. Pride
5. Bad
6. Streets
7. ISHFWILF
8. WOWY
9. Desire
10. OMGWTFBBQ NEW SONG1!!111!!!1!!
11. One
12. Mysterious Ways
13. Numb
14. Discotheque
15. OMGWTFBBQ The Saints Are Coming!!! Which is n00 song too (sort of)!!!1!1!!!1
16. Beautiful Day
17. Vertigo
18. OOTS

Make it stop. :lol:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
to everyone who's bitching about this i have but two words...

eh hem...

WHO CARES!!!

so they put out another greatest hits record... whoopity doo. not like any of us needed the first two, either. we all already have the songs. the only thing any u2 fan should give a crap about is NEW MATERIAL.

the third hits album fulfills a contract obligation. who cares. NEW MATERIAL :drool:

I agree 100 %!!!

What does a 3rd Best Of 'compilation' of '80-'05 ensure?
That there will be a 4th Best Of.

I don't think these contractual obligations really matter so much, one contractual obligation fulfilled just leads to more promises in the next contract.

The label needed their cash cow to help out their numbers, they missed '05, so they are banking on '06, in return U2 received the best negitiated rights to their digital properties that any artist has. It's a business, they are scratching each others backs

And whoever said that U2 and their labels care more about the news fans than the old fans have got it exactly right. They buy more records, which pleases the label and they make U2 feel like they are still 'cool' or relevant, whatever the buzzword of the day is being used for placating their ego.

well u2 are certainly making it harder and harder to defend them to the masses

Pride (In the Name of Love)
New Year's Day
With or Without You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
All I Want is You
The Fly
One
Stay (Faraway So Close)
Discothèque
Staring at the Sun//Please
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Vertigo
Original of the Species
----
+ The Saints Are Coming
+ (new song)

:crazy: :confused: :banghead:

IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO CHOOSE 16 (best) SONGS!!!!

I'm quite happy to hear this compilation is coming out. New song!!! And "Saints" is a pretty cool song.

People U2 is a juggernaut like it or not. They are MEGA and are not afraid to be mainstream like Pearl Jam. Why are we making such a big deal? U2 is not 'your' band or even 'our' band...they're 'everyone's' band and they've always intended to be.

I'll be the first in line to pick it up. :yes:

Last edited:
Chizip said:

They have nobody to blame but themselves.
IMO, they are trying to use their business acumen to try and rewrite their place in history.

They'll be as many apolgetic stories from the band in 10 years about what they were trying to accomplish NOW as there were for the mid and late 90's.

Why? Well, I just don't think they are that confident because so much of their success is tied up in the ego of being the greatest thing going.

Until they can resolve the issues of not being the coolest, biggest, baddest band in the world, they'll never age gracefully enough to where a diehard fan could defend them with a straight face.

I still love the band and I think their heart is in the right place, I just think their gameplan is for shit. I also have high hopes that they have an album left in them that will silence their critics, whom right now are quite simply, right.

well it's not the end of the world and they're free to do what they want.

but at the very least this is another bad management decision and a terrible p.r. move. it wouldn't take a focus group to understand that this wouldn't go over very well with a lot of long time fans.

and i bet it comes with a variety of packaging that we all have to collect.

someone is a little brain dead...

unless it is all Live material....in which case..

Brilliant!! and Well done!!

Chizip said:

I never defend them...I like 'em and their music has been there during critical junctures in my life. If they are deemed sellouts by some I could care less. They mean something to me and that's all that counts to me.

There's a ton of artists out there I deem sellouts or posers, but what right do I have to knock something someone else holds dear? :eyebrow:

The answer is: I don't have the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom