MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Best of

Headache in a Suitcase said:

so releasing a new best of CD with portions from the one song going to charity and another completely new song is a money grubbing move... yet releasing concert footage which has already been released in a new format is filled with integrity? ahhh... i see.

I see nothing wrong with re-releasing Zoo Tv. If something is released on a format (VHS) that is basically obsolete at this point, there is nothing wrong with rereleasing it on DVD which is being used by the general public.

Also, U2 can sell that one song via Itunes or on a cd single with proceeds going to charity. To say a new best of is warranted for one charity single is a joke............... This album is just an attempt to make a quick buck during the christmas season, nothing more.

theres one thing even more predictable than a U2 setlist, and thats the people on here than constantly bitch and moan whenever U2 announce they are bringing something out, or doing somethiing etc

are people just totally ignoring what others have said re selling out? Jo whiley from radio 1 who is a very good friend of the band has said proceeds from this are going to music rising, so yes that selling out, and maybe thats why the skids song is on it? you dont have to buy this so why moan about it?

also have people just ignored what i said earlier on in the thread? edge told listeners on an interview on a irish radio station that there will be a brand new U2 album next year

but please, do what you enjoy most interference and carry on whining about what the band are doing, god forbid you could even find something better to do with your life than concentrate on something that annoys you.

oh get off your high horses people... like you're not just gonna download the song from usenet, limewire or some you sent it link anyways.

jeez... the drama over nothing.

:up: :up:

Everyone will be able to get the new songs by themselves anyway, either like Headache said, or through iTunes. We're getting a cool cover and a brand new song. I don't see why people are complaining.

phanan said:

:up: :up:

Everyone will be able to get the new songs by themselves anyway, either like Headache said, or through iTunes. We're getting a cool cover and a brand new song. I don't see why people are complaining.

whoknew.jpg

what else would they do?

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
Oh. I am. Scared...of the critics. Help. Me.
I'm not. But they are sure making their own image.

Two new songs is pretty average for a GH compilation, I daresay.
Yes it is.

So...you think they recorded 4 songs for a GH and only used one? Hmm...good old .
Have no idea how many songs they recorded. But if they have problems filling up an album (don't say they do, but I have my thoughts about that), why throw two away for a Best Of?

I don't like it either, but that's life. If you don't want to buy it, just download the freaking songs. You will anyway.
Of course I will. No doubt about that.

........................................:laugh:
Thanks.
And also see the answer to the first quote.

:up:

I love sarcastic posts. Keep it up.

By the way. This was the surprise they were talking about. They mentioned that they had something up their sleeves.

the rediculous negative over-reaction over a silly contract obligation is shocking, yet considering the reactions in this place from time to time, highly believable at the same time.

shit... we're getting new material and all you can worry about is that it's on a third greatest hits cd, which is a CONTRACT OBLIGATION!!! they have to do it at some point, they've had a long time off between shows, they're excited about some of the new material and wanted a medium to get it out... bada bing bada boom.

the bitching is rediculous.

if you're worried about some stupid "selling out" bullshit, yet you're still here after the whole iPod thing, well... i really don't know what to tell ya.

:up:

Very simple solution...don't buy it.

You guys know that us hardcore fans make up a small percentage of U2's fanbase, if U2 wants to release a best of for casual fans and new fans, I have no problem with it. It doesn't stop them from releasing a new album next year, and getting a new song is always good

ElectricalVoice said:

I thought they were in the studio to record a new album. But now I see what they were doing. They were making two new songs (and GD collaboration) to help sell the new Best Of. U2 have been quite disappointing lately - for me.
Ah, don't let your cynical side cloud your judgement. Let's be reasonable here for a second: Why would U2 record (not write, but record) FOUR new songs knowing full well they were only going to use two of them for the greatest hits album? Why would they record two extra songs for no reason? The only answer that springs to mind is they were in the studio not just because of the greatest hits album, but also to test out Rubin and do some work for the next full length studio album. Can you honestly dispute this given the facts? The answer is an emphatic no.

ElectricalVoice said:

U2 will not anymore (for music listeners in general) be the band who are up-to-date and moving forward after 30 years. They will look like just another long-living band who settle for their previous work and look back and desperately trying to recreate.

But I still love them.
Maybe for (some of) the diehards such as yourself, but not "for music listeners in general" as you suggest. For the general music listener, this is all part of the music business. For the indie kids and so forth, many of them think U2 is a joke anyway - and sold out long ago. So this will come as no surprise to them, either. This only leaves (some of) the diehards to be questioning the band - and possibly the critics. But the critics have been bashing U2 for years (while also simultaneously praising them, so it all evens out in the end...).

Irishteen said:
You guys know that us hardcore fans make up a small percentage of U2's fanbase, if U2 wants to release a best of for casual fans and new fans, I have no problem with it. It doesn't stop them from releasing a new album next year, and getting a new song is always good

exactly. if i ever make it big, i'm dead scared my future fanbase.

So, reading this thread, I want to add my thoughts.

I actually think it is a good idea to have a single "Best Of U2" package, since newcomers to the band would prefer a single disc to get started. I know when I have bought Hits compilations, I wouldn't be too impressed if a band was asking me to buy 2+ CDs to actually see some of their career.

As for the name of the compilation, I very much doubt it will be "The Best of U2" since I think they are keeping that name for the TRUE compilation when their career is done. "U2 by U2" or something of that nature is most likely what it will be.

An interesting thought which occured to me was related to the book release. If this compilation was indeed meant to be included, perhaps it wasn't (initially?) intended to be a normal hits release. If the title WAS U2 by U2, it could suggest the disc contained the tracks THE BAND most like. The musical companion to the words & images if you like. Seeing what U2 thinks are the most important tracks, or what they think is their best work would certainly be more interesting than a straight up re-heat job.

Do we actually have a definitive list of U2's favourite tracks? That could have been an avenue to explore, though not so great for the casual fan, it would certainly placate the hardcore fan.

Anyway, I will buy it because I have to. Do you really want that gap in your CD collection? I am reckoning U2 think the hardcore fans will buy *anything* they put out anyway...

I just can´t believe U2 just keeps digging their own big hole. A new best of compilation is a confirmation this is not the same band anymore. Watching a masterpiece like ZooTV Live from Sydney becomes even more painful. This was a band with arrogance, a band whose frontman stated they will NEVER release a best of compilation.

There are so many solutions to this kind of release. A rarities/b-sides compilation, a live best of album (that would be truly brilliant, if done right), but here we have a redundant best of compilation with a cover song on it, with a crappy and ultimately forgettable band like Green Day on it.

A new song is a comfort. And I do hope that the rumors about a new album next year are true. I just hope a talented man like Rick Rubin can awake a tired musical spirit in the guys.

It isn´t about the money? Riiiight. They´re building the highest tower in Dublin with their own private elevators.

And I just remembered that Mary J Blige fiasco... God, this was a bad year to be a fan of this band.

Let´s hope the new material kicks ass so we can forget this.

all that scared me, is nobody knows the true reason behind this release, but yet without knowing facts decide to bash the band anyway?

mikal said:

it's the kind of attitude that you're describing that pisses me off too. even though i own every U2 album and single, and have hundreds of bootlegs, etc, i don't fee that i am any more important than the 14 year old kid who just bought his first U2 album. i'm glad i didn't let my U2 fanatisicm ruin my U2 experience like many people here seem to have done.

Y'know, that's an excellent point, and something I was just talking about the other day. Here, amongst all these uber-fans, there's this undercurrent of competition among some (not all) around here, whereby those who have the most albums/boots/remixes/books/concert experiences/Ipods/any other U2 material are the biggest fans, and the rest of the people just suck.

People are not obligated to purchase every product that U2 puts out, and not doing so will not threaten your fan status. It's just craziness around here...

KUEFC09U2 said:

also have people just ignored what i said earlier on in the thread? edge told listeners on an interview on a irish radio station that there will be a brand new U2 album next year

That IS great news, but only the second most important thing you posted - most important, Edge's daughter doing better. Thanks for passing along the info!

U2 are just copying The Beatles once again. Didn't Beatles release their 1 compilation along with their book?

Anyway, I will choose to look forward to a fine and delicious version of "All My Life".

Hey, that title sounded a little Beatlesque, too :hmm:

kkaider said:

That IS great news, but only the second most important thing you posted - most important, Edge's daughter doing better. Thanks for passing along the info!
well people dont seem to care about things that are actually real life, they would rather spend there days moaning about a band that needs and possibly wants to get a certain contratual obligation out the way,

Jesus Christ. Guess what - there will be a deluxe version with a bonus DVD. Repulsive.

Great news about Edge´s daughter, on the other hand. You are right on that part, KU.

U2tour.de says there will be a deluxe version with a bonus DVD.

I'm thinking the Best of contract didn't have a date and contracts can change with a name as big as U2, so this makes even less sense, even if it is meant to go along with the book. I just hope they will have the sense not to repeat the songs on previous Best ofs and do something like a Live best of or non-singles Best of and proper 90's and 00's B-sides disc.

New song, fine. Proceeds for charity, fine. I'm sure plenty of us bought the Best of so far, so it's not like we're against compilations like this in general.
But this is a bad, nonsensical move. A third Best of this soon (you'd think it would focus on the 00s, given the pattern with the previous ones), and rehashing old songs.

another thing.

to the people who say "they're just not the same band anymore":

did you really think they would be any different? did you really think they were going to still be coming out of lemons? did you really think Bono would still be cursing at the Grammy's every year?

i think some of you need to grip reality just a little tighter.

All I'm going to say is I called this...like a month ago...and (almost) nobody believed me.

Headache in a Suitcase said something brilliant and spot-on a few pages back regarding all the whining and brou-ha-ha. I'd just like to say I agree with that, because OH MY GOD at this thread!

i look forward to it thanks to the new song. i'll buy it on the day it's released as I'm sure a lot of you will as well. you'll bitch about it, but you'll buy it and you'll like it.

mikal said:
another thing.

to the people who say "they're just not the same band anymore":

did you really think they would be any different? did you really think they were going to still be coming out of lemons? did you really think Bono would still be cursing at the Grammy's every year?

i think some of you need to grip reality just a little tighter.

Wrong,my friend. Things like coming out of lemons and cursing at the Grammys are too trivial and I don´t consider them as valid points. There are contradictions in Bono´s statements in 1993 and 2006. That´s all I´m saying. My definition for that: "they´re not the same band".

That can be positive (JT U2, AB U2) but that can also be extremely negative. We have here a clear example of the latter.

And on a side note, the "definitive" autobiography, the "definitive" Best of their career - that has a creepy "the end of our career" vibe to it.

For those of you wanting a different set of Best Of tracks this time around, I think you will find this set will be much more mainstream than the last two. The band had a big hand in deciding the track selection of the first two best ofs. That's why 'Bad' and 'Gone' were selected, for example, despite them never being singles. This time, it will not be a "best of", but rather, a "greatest hits". U2.com even says so - "16 of their most well known songs." I take that to mean the singles that were hits. Something like this:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday (live from Under a Blood Red Sky)
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride (In the Name of Love)
5. With or Without You
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Where the Streets Have No Name
8. Desire
9. Angel of Harlem
10. All I Want Is You
11. Mysterious Ways
12. One
13. Beautiful Day
14. Walk On
15. Vertigo
16. City of Blinding Lights (or Sometimes You Can't Make it...)
17. All My Life (I hope they save this for the new album though)
18. The Saints Are Coming

Last edited:
That reminds me I gotta buy a U2 Ipod (newer version with the brighter screen) and U2 By U2 book. Maybe I should check if Amazon is taking pre-orders for the new Best of Cd.

I am a true U2 fan.

If U2 decides to come out with shoes I will be the first mofo to order them and wear them.

I love U2!!!

<-- true fan!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom