MERGED--> new album 20th november! +New Best Of on November 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez U2 can do no right. If it's not the live set lists, it's the wait time betwen albums and now it's because they are releasing a best of album. So what? At the end of the day if you don't want a best of... with two bonus tracks, nobodys forcing anyone to buy it. Can't say anyone's giving a valid reason why they shouldn't release it.

Another crap move by the band...

Why do we need another best of?
Are they so desperate about money that they couldn't wait until 2010/12?
It just mekes me want to say: F*** off U2 for making consumers - and us - feel like dumb!

In a last ressort, I just hope that this new compilation reunites the songs that were left out of the 1980-1990 & 1990-2000 with the 2000's hits and the 2 new songs!

If not, I'm not going to spent €15 or €20 because of 2 new songs (that I can easily download and paste with other non-album tracks I have) and other 14 songs I already have.

An EP with 5 or 6 new songs, or a single, or even the album with 8 or 9 HTDAAB outtakes, that would be the big idea. Now this?:huh: :sad:

I wonder if the Boom-chas of Tha Saints are also gonna get the ax, as with the Boom-chas of Discotheque.

U2 can do right, just they aren't right here. Just because I'm critical of this move by the band doesn't mean I hate them.

ponkine said:

Are you being serious or what? :eyebrow:

How come you feel satisfied with a 16 track compilation featuring the same songs already released on 2 Best ofs? :madspit:

That move (releasing a third Best of from the 2 previous Best ofs) is pathetic, annoying, disposable and unforgivable to say the least :mad:

U2 aren't one hit single corporate crap, and they aren't kiss or Scorpions either. That kind of bands have more "Greatest Hits" and "Best Ofs" than studio albums, and every "New" Greatest Hits is actually another poorly represented compilation, sometimes with just 1 or 2 tracks different than the previous ones. How come someone will be happy with U2 doing that !!!

If they want to make another Best of as a stupid excuse for a new single, why don't they release just the single alone instead? :( Why they want to make even more money from the fans?. Is not enough all the billion dollars they have?

Why do they take us for granted?

ANY compilation based on what is already released on Best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 is just selling out :down:

What will be next? The New Best Of on Tour? :yell:

Are you serious?

Don't buy the album then. Few people here probably will. I'm excited for a new song too. In fact, I dunno how to pass the time 'til November 20th now :wink:

They have to release another "best of" according to their contract. The only people they're taking for granted is the record company, trying to get them off their backs for a best of 2000-2010 since they probably don't have enough material to do so.

They should put in the title of this thread "u2 have another best of album in their contract"

seriously :|

Re: Best of

Just a quick note for the Oasis point brought up by Habib. Oasis did put up a poll online for the best of but then Noel Gallagher went ahead and picked the songs that he liked and ignored what the fans picked. Talk Tonight, Half the World Away are on there and nothing from Be Here Now and 1 song from Heathen Chemistry (songbird?) The track listing and sequence for that best of disc is HORRIBLE.

Also, what u2 are doing with this best of is exactly what Depeche mode are doing with there disc - double dipping. They are trying to extract every penny from their fans for something that is unnecessary and usless. I long for the days when U2 could enter the studio and put out a quality release in a short period of time (ala Zooropa or Passengers). I don't understand bands that take 2 years in the studio to record 10 songs.

2006 will go down as U2's worst year. U2 released a bad dvd (Chicago), crappy best of (unneccessary), crappy cover song (saints), postponed tour and pointless book (photos were nice but the info provided by the band is nothing new and offered little additional insight).

U2 are quickly losing their integrity. Thank god for the Sydney dvd - the only release worth buying this year

Re: Re: Best of

soctheo said:
Just a quick note for the Oasis point brought up by Habib. Oasis did put up a poll online for the best of but then Noel Gallagher went ahead and picked the songs that he liked and ignored what the fans picked. Talk Tonight, Half the World Away are on there and nothing from Be Here Now and 1 song from Heathen Chemistry (songbird?) The track listing and sequence for that best of disc is HORRIBLE.

Also, what u2 are doing with this best of is exactly what Depeche mode are doing with there disc - double dipping. They are trying to extract every penny from their fans for something that is unnecessary and usless. I long for the days when U2 could enter the studio and put out a quality release in a short period of time (ala Zooropa or Passengers). I don't understand bands that take 2 years in the studio to record 10 songs.

2006 will go down as U2's worst year. U2 released a bad dvd (Chicago), crappy best of (unneccessary), crappy cover song (saints), postponed tour and pointless book (photos were nice but the info provided by the band is nothing new and offered little additional insight).

U2 are quickly losing their integrity. Thank god for the Sydney dvd - the only release worth buying this year

so releasing a new best of CD with portions from the one song going to charity and another completely new song is a money grubbing move... yet releasing concert footage which has already been released in a new format is filled with integrity? ahhh... i see.

The point: We don't want a Best Of. We have your songs already. We would rather just take one song as a single.

Wait till the true end of your career and make a true Greatest Hits album.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with Interference at all. Or at least this part of the forums. :tsk:

another best of!?!?!?!

what a stupid/strange move.
I always used to think U2 was not that commercially driven.
I like the idea of finishing every decade with a 'U2 best of'. Just to close a period and start a new one.
But this decision..... It's too much overkill like this, and what do they wanna achieve with this? Sell another 5 million albums, to do what? to make money? This has nothing to do with what I thought U2 was standing for. With this they follow lots of other artists...like, let's make another greatest hits album for xmas and we are sure peopl buy it and we make money. And then next year for xmas "the very best of U2", the year after "the ultimate U2 hits" and then in 2008 "U2, the singles collection" and in 2009 "best of U2, the remixes" and then finally in 2010 "the best of U2 2000-2010" etc, etc.....I hate this....

Well, it's my opinion, and maybe I am too early with my conclusion...

grtz, P.

PS: I would have liked it more if they decided to bring out "POP" again, this time in the way they wanted to record it, so that they can prove it was really the lack of time that made them less satisfied with this album (although I still think POP is one of the best U2-albums ever!)

Maybe u2 don't like the idea of a new best of but have to because of contractul obligations. But to ease the blow they will
put out a new song. The Saints cover allows the Edge to get even more money to help Music Rising. I just don't beleive u2 would sell them selfs down the river just like that! NO WAY!

Okay, it's possible that it is a contractional obligation, but still, who signed these f**ing contracts? They knew what they were signing, I hope? So contracts don't count as an excuse in my opinion...

pentax said:
Maybe u2 don't like the idea of a new best of but have to because of contractul obligations. But to ease the blow they will
put out a new song. The Saints cover allows the Edge to get even more money to help Music Rising. I just don't beleive u2 would sell them selfs down the river just like that! NO WAY!

I'm trying to look at this from a positive point of view, but it still looks dirty. However, this could mean no more Best Of's, as it fills their requirement of 3, which might be good.

Also, what I don't understand is how people were excited about a new stand alone single but are now upset even though it's the same single with a bunch of other songs. You can probably still download it seperately.

while this isn't necessarily on your or my U2 wish list, this will sell by the truck load (prior to Christmas) and have alot more people listening to U2 (it will be perfect for the M.O.R. music fan)... so I can see why U2.Inc and the record label would go for it.

I just hope they don't use this as another long stop gap between now and the next NEW release...

For the record I also love Headache:drool:

and hasn't this all been expected for some time now? I don't get all the fuss, I thought we all knew a another "best of"was gonna be released.

Jim said:
....this will sell by the truck load (prior to Christmas) ... so I can see why U2.Inc and the record label would go for it. ....

And this is exactly what I thought U2 would never do...They don't need the money, they need to create some extraordinary and exciting new music! That is what U2 always was for me....now I will not be shocked anymore if they sell their song to another commercial, ipod or whatever...

I guess it hasn't occurred to too many people here that this release is likely not aimed at the hardcore fans. It could be that U2 is still interested in attracting new fans, who just might be interested in starting off with a "definitive" best of to see whether they like enough songs to make purchasing the back catalogue worthwhile. :shrug: I've gotten interested in plenty of artists by starting off with a best of cd. Just a thought.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom