MERGED--> Mercy!!! + Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This lines blows me away - "If your the prosecution, I'd get away with murder" -- That is the perfect description of God's mercy and forgiveness in my opinion.
"love is the end of history....of misery" and "love has come again, I'm alive again", i think, relate to Jesus' second coming and heaven.
This song is full of so many deep meanings, I could sit and ponder it all day, the lyrics are what make this song so amazing to me.

The first few times I listened to Mercy, I thought it was okay. Kinda boring. Of course, this was at school...then I downloaded it at home and really listened to it. It hit me then. What a bloody brilliant song. To me, it's like U2 telling Interpol "You've got a long way to go, boys." (I'm a HUGE Interpol fan...prolly because I'd say U2 and Interpol have some similar influences). Seriously though, Mercy is amazing... it has the dark atmosphere of Achtung Baby, U2's greatest masterpiece (imo). It reminds me of Ultraviolet and Acrobat... it honestly sounds like it's a lost gem from the AB sessions or something. Bono's voice is astonishing and the lyrics even more so... when I saw them in the book that comes with the Special Limited Edition, it convinced me even more that Mercy should have been on the album. I thought Yahweh was the perfect album closer, but I was wrong - Mercy is. It's not the best b-side I've ever heard, it's the best a-side that I haven't heard. U2 should pull another Zooropa, release an album inbetween tour legs...or hell, even an EP...Mercy needs to be on SOMETHING. Hell, maybe it SHOULD be the only one-song LP ever. I think that'd be pretty awesome...or maybe they could put it with Smile and, erm, Xanax and Wine, or some of those other unreleased tracks I haven't heard but it'd be cool if they appeared in my mailbox woolymammals@gmail.com :wink:

keep listening to mercy, its one of the best songs the group has ever done, this will be on an upcoming album in a more polished form

learn2kneel said:
This lines blows me away - "If your the prosecution, I'd get away with murder" -- That is the perfect description of God's mercy and forgiveness in my opinion.
"love is the end of history....of misery" and "love has come again, I'm alive again", i think, relate to Jesus' second coming and heaven.
This song is full of so many deep meanings, I could sit and ponder it all day, the lyrics are what make this song so amazing to me.

I have the same thoughts. A lot of heavy biblical connotation in MErcy. I love it.

I love this song, and its pretty cool to know that so many other fans are getting into it, too. I think this one definitly ranks in the top tier of U2 songs, and, as I said somewhere in another thread, it has enough great lines and ideas in this one song to inspire an entire album.

Having said that, I really can understand how the band could have decided this didn't fit with the rest of the album. If they were going for an album full of 4 minute pop tunes, this doesn't really fit. Plus, it doesn't really match up to fit between anything in the current track order. (I think the closest fit woulda been in place of AMAAW, but that might be partly b/c I think that song suks).
Now, it doesn't fit b/c its not a four minute melody and there isn't an easy place for it in the track order- I think that's why it was dropped. So What!? This song is a masterpiece. I think they shoulda made it fit. In fact, if they were looking at the finished product and thought, "There's no place for Mercy", I think they shoulda reconsidered whether or not they had a finished product.

Lastly, if produced by Lanois/Eno, this song would have been included.

I don't know why there is such a big fuss over Mercy.

It didn't make the album.

Hell, it didn't even make the cut as the b-side to the first single (Are You Gonna Wait Forever and Neon Lights made it).

I don't doubt U2's wisdom.

But to me, Mercy is nothing but a ripoff of A Flock Of Seagull's "The More You Live The More You Love." Obviously, U2 don't want to put obviously and blatanty borrowed riffs and melodies into their released songs.

Mercy shouldn't have even been leaked in the first place. It puts U2 in a bad light.

Cheers,

J

Honestly, I listened to Mercy a few times... I find the lyrics to be really horrible. (And this isn't an anti-U2 rant or anything... I love HTDAAB except for One Step Closer, which also has lame lyrics).

oh well!

Back
Top Bottom