MERGED--> Mercy!!! + Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still don't see why everyone likes "Smile". To me, it just doesn't sound good at all. Maybe I need a few more listens. Mercy, on the other hand, I instantly liked.

dandy said:
'smile' and 'mercy' are currently my favourite duo of U2 songs. when i heard 'smile', it instantly jumped out as having a similar quality as 'mercy'. 'mercy' is better, but 'smile' is very very good.

I made a playlist with these two songs and have been listening to them back to back over and over. I'm convinced they started with Smile and it evolved into Mercy.

boosterjuice said:
I still don't see why everyone likes "Smile". To me, it just doesn't sound good at all. Maybe I need a few more listens. Mercy, on the other hand, I instantly liked.

Probably because Mercy is the finished product.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with you. Mercy is simply amazing, I can't get enough of it. At over 6 minutes it seems too short. It's up there with best of the album, MD, COBL and OOTS. It feels like I'm listening to a story in musical form, rather than just a typical song with a chorus and versus.

Go U2, you guys just rock!

I'd very much like to hear Xanax and Wine that everyone is talking about. Could someone please email it to me on the following addy: adsl4c0y@tpg.com.au or skenrangerone@yahoo.com

Many thx
Sken

Mercy is the Mona Lisa only she is crying. It is as much an emotional masterpiece as a sonic and poetic one. The eighth wonder of the world because you can't get tired of listening to it.

You can tell that Bono was in a trance with his eyes closed, lost in the moment as they recorded this song. You can imagine that as the song ends, him opening his eyes and feeling naked. With this song he has let us directly inside his bedroom. We have direct access to his inner thoughts and emotional state at that moment in time.
I listened to Mercy on repeat on my way to work and on the fifth time, as the first guitar notes began to swell, I uncontrollably burst into tears.
I find it so interesting that all of these people have found themselves listening to this song on repeat. It touches something deep inside.

Last edited:
i had it but i had to restore my computer back to it's original status...stupid viruses....can anyone send Smile and Mercy to blueyedpoet_02@hotmail.com? oh, Native son would be real nice too
Mercy to me sounds AB to me...very spiritual with a dark background. I hear the Acrobat swinging around

dang AOL! EP can you try to send it again to this email instead?
david.deweil@uscm.org

try that one if you have time. i would love to be able to hear Mercy..it sounds like it's an awesome song

I've sent up a temp ftp, be gentle please, my connection is not fast.

f t p://WW:WW@220.245.160.238/

Regards
Sken

OMG! It just occurred to me why Mercy is so familiar....

It reminds me of the verse structure of Wild Horses from AB.

Ever since the very first day that Mercy crept out of the closet here, it has been in my heart like no other U2 song. This is not easy to say. Considering that Bad IS my favorite U2 song for over 20 years now. Mercy is easily in my top 10. I think it was U2SJ who unleashed this bomb. I swear, I won't forget you for sending this number on the net and straight into my heart.

I need an "official" release NOW! :drool:

(it dominates my ipod top 25!)

I saw in another thread that this epic gem will be the b-side to Sometimes....wow, that will surely be the best U2 single yet!!

How did this song not make the album, it's haunting, UF like in the Bad vein and what's wrong with a six minute song anymore?

Bad is one of the all-time greats and the perf. in Live Aid I think is one of U2's greatest live performances!! I recommend the Live Aid DVD bc it's completely different viewing it on the wide-screen as opposed to a grainy mpeg file.

I listen to Mercy atleast 2 times every day and it's mind blowing!!

Roland of Gilead said:
Ever since the very first day that Mercy crept out of the closet here, it has been in my heart like no other U2 song. This is not easy to say. Considering that Bad IS my favorite U2 song for over 20 years now. Mercy is easily in my top 10. I think it was U2SJ who unleashed this bomb. I swear, I won't forget you for sending this number on the net and straight into my heart.

it was U2SJ who gave us this little piece of heaven. :bow:

'bad' is my favourite song ever, period, and 'mercy' is not too far behind. i can't remember the last time (if ever) that a song blew my mind like this the first time i listened to it.

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom