MERGED--> Mercy!!! + Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neutral said:
we're binary code, a 1 and 0

not too sure about this one :p :lol:

oh, i love that line.

i love lyrics that you can philosophize over for hours. this is one of them. let's see if i can explain this somewhat intelligibly... binary codes are just strings of ones and zeros, and when you put the ones and zeros together, they can take on an infinite number of combinations and meanings. seemingly powerless on their own, but infinitely powerful when joined together.

I would trade any song from the album to get it, even miracle drug or OOTS, which are my favorites.

Wow, this has become quite the Mercy lovefest :love:

At 6:31, it's still not long enough for me. It's just starting to build up even more!

wouldn't it be great if the song we all think is Mercy really isn't Mercy, and we eventually get the real Mercy as another 6:30 minutes b-side that's even more U2-ish than the song we think is really Mercy that we all love so much but that I think shouldn't have been on the album while all you think that it's the best song called Mercy ever but really might not be called Mercy because we dont know for sure because...because...be...ca....:combust:

Lancemc said:
wouldn't it be great if the song we all think is Mercy really isn't Mercy, and we eventually get the real Mercy as another 6:30 minutes b-side that's even more U2-ish than the song we think is really Mercy that we all love so much but that I think shouldn't have been on the album while all you think that it's the best song called Mercy ever but really might not be called Mercy because we dont know for sure because...because...be...ca....:combust:

I think I have a headache now! :no: :lol:

Cask said:
I agree, since achtung baby I haven´t heard such a powerful song, I have never so thrilled about a song before. I hope they have big plans for this one, it doesn´t deserve to be a bside, is much more.

Isn't there a rumour of a special anniversary single release next year sometime? So who knows................

Mercy

Sorry if this has already been covered, but for those who have heard "Mercy", where did you find it? I would love to hear this track. Thanks!

I think the worst think that could have happened to this song was it being called the greatest B-Side ever. I think before people hear it they think B-Side and, for some, even after they hear it they can't call it an A-Side because they've already got in their head that it's a B-Side.

The only solution would be to release the first one song album in history. :wink:

Who knows, they may release another album between legs of the tour like they did for Zooropa. But whatever they do, this song is not a B-Side. No one can convince me of that.

But whatever they do, this song is not a B-Side. No one can convince me of that.

Amen. I am beginning to feel the same way about Xanax and Wine as well. Unfortunately that won't even be released as a B-Side.

"And happiness is for those who don't really need it....."

I HOPE THEY PLAY IT LIVE...what an amazing track....i wouldn't have cared how long the album ended up being just to get this track officially on the album....whoever said to burn a copy of HTDAAB and tag Mercy to the end....GREAT idea....

Didn't Bono slip this one out there himself, on a burned cd? A sort of 'gift' to the fans, perhaps? Given the circumstances of its appearance (ie. it's already 'out there') it seems like they'd probably just let it be whatever it will be.

caragriff said:
i'm with you all.
love mercy.
love it.
in a sense i almost hope they never release it and it can remain a hidden gem, a gift just for the hardcore fans. this song definitely has the u2 magic in it.

I agree, I feel very possesive of this song :shifty: I feel like Golum and this song is my precious :lmao: !

I don't have a cd burner so if any kind soul out there wants to burn Mercy for me so that I can listen in my car I would be :bow: :bow:

I don't have the love for Mercy. To me, this was an experimental B-track that is 1:30 too long. There's a point at about the 4:00 point that they should be working towards an end, but they keep going with it. Perhaps if they were seriously going to finish it for the album, they would have cut it down a verse or too.

And it's not even a high quality, finished product!:ohmy: Imagine if they mixed it and polished it... WOW!!

Unless there's a better version I'm unaware of...

I love Mercy because it's one of the few songs they have produced lately that I get lost in...not sure how to explain it... I get lost when I hear almost all the songs on UF. There's a wonderful reckless structure to it that I found refreshing and missing from many of the songs from the last 2 albums.

The recording quality of the song that's out there is horrible. This really bad hissing noise is all over the track. Hopefully it will come out as a B-side on the next song so we can have a proper version.

I agree, as well, that as is Mercy is good, but not great. I really like it, but I like it even more when I imagine what it could have been if they chopped 1:30 off of it and polished it up.

kawai17 said:
I love Mercy because it's one of the few songs they have produced lately that I get lost in...not sure how to explain it... I get lost when I hear almost all the songs on UF. There's a wonderful reckless structure to it that I found refreshing and missing from many of the songs from the last 2 albums.

:up:

i completely agree. i don't want them to polish it up, refurbish it, put in twinkling chiming sounds or overdubbed guitars, or anything at all. it's perfect the way it is--raw, dark, and vast. not to mention the throbbing bassline...

:drool:

i know they pride themselves on being perfectionists with their releases, but i love them best when they're sounding off, effortlessly doing what they do best.

Last edited:
'smile' and 'mercy' are currently my favourite duo of U2 songs. when i heard 'smile', it instantly jumped out as having a similar quality as 'mercy'. 'mercy' is better, but 'smile' is very very good.

Back
Top Bottom