MERGED-->Levitate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Levitate!

I am in love with this song. I can't beleive it didn't even become a b-side let alone make it onto ATYCLB. This track is easily better than POW, WILATW, Wild Honey, and Grace.

edit: ooops, I meant to place this in EYKIW. Mods move it there if you think it's necessary, or leave it here, whatever please you. :wink:

Last edited:
I happen to be listening to Levitate right now.
"...Levitaaaaaate"
That's my favorite line in the song when Bono holds that note out.
I completely agree that this is better than Wild Honey. I'm not a big fan of that song at all. Grace started to grow on me. I like WILATW. And is POW supposed to be Peace on EARTH? Regardless, I like that song. But Levitate is quite literally a million times better than Wild Honey and shoulda' made it into ATYCLB.

I'm dumb but I just realized that Levitate has the same lyric about the "top of a newborn baby's head" smelling like freedom as Miracle Drug. And also right before that it talks about "be the bee and the flower before the sweetness turns to sour" just like Always (which is a great song also) Could Levitate maybe just have been a bunch of leftover lyrics?

"spirit come on down, no i'm not coming down"

love the entire vibe of this song. It's like a mix of zooropa and ATYCLB. and that little guitar hook is stuck in my head all the time. so cool!

Actually, Levitate is from the Pop sessions. Despite the song titles, Edge states that Levitate is from Pop and Flower Child is from HTDAAB. I think all of the others are named correctly.

Yeah, this song might be better than Wild Honey or Grace, but it would be totally out of place on ATYCLB. Nothing else on the album sounds like it.

If it WAS intended for POP, I don't know what you'd replace it with. I'm not a big DYFL fan, but every song seems to have its own purpose on there. You might say a lot of things about POP, but it certainly doesn't repeat itself. The songs are ALL different. If anything should have been on POP, it's North and South of the River, which I think may be their best b-side. It may not be as classic as Sunday Bloody Sunday, but it's a hell of a lot mor personal (like Please). Perhaps they thought one "conflict" song was enough for POP, but NASOTR is better than half the songs on there.
I'm Not Your Baby ain't so bad either.

laz

Oh so this is a POP out-take then? I agree its amazing that they put out shoddy b-sides a lot of the time when good songs like this are just left lying around. I actually prefer it to many of the songs off POP...the "in the backstreets of our love" is a good line.

I love Levitate as well. It is the opening track of my burned "bomb too" CD I burned for me and my buddies. It is a perfect opeing song they should have put Levitate and Flower child on the "Seven" EP and made it real interesting Here's my burned CD tracklist:

1. **Levitate
2. Flower Child
3. Mercy
4. Smile
5. Xanax and Wine
6. Love you like mad
7. Native Son
8. Neon Lights
9. Beat on the Brat
10. Are you gonna wait forever
11. Beautiful Ghost
(hidden track Batman theme)

I'm in love with Levitate as well, everything on that song is good. Even though I like Wild Honey and all the others on ATYCLB Levitate should have been on the album. It's a great tune and would have been great to listen to it live! I love it and also cannot understand why it didn't even become a b-side.

Anticipation said:
I love Levitate as well. It is the opening track of my burned "bomb too" CD I burned for me and my buddies. It is a perfect opeing song they should have put Levitate and Flower child on the "Seven" EP and made it real interesting Here's my burned CD tracklist:

1. **Levitate
2. Flower Child
3. Mercy
4. Smile
5. Xanax and Wine
6. Love you like mad
7. Native Son
8. Neon Lights
9. Beat on the Brat
10. Are you gonna wait forever
11. Beautiful Ghost
(hidden track Batman theme)

hey I want this shit too!
Bu i don't want to give a lot money for the complete u2 just for these songs....the rest i already have, so..

Levitate may have originated in the Pop sessions, but this version is probably from ATYCLB, as Bono said in an interview at the time that they had this song called Levitate which could have been the direction of the album. That would have been a weird album. I also think that voice-wise it's ATYCLB Bono.

if this song had been on the Beautiful Day single along with Always, and summer rain, it might have been my favorite
U2 single.

I got caught listening to it on a loop and didn't even notice. :drool:

Anyone else falling in love with Levitate?

I've been listening to it for a while now, and just recently it hit me that I LOVE this track.

It's no heavy track, but it makes me feel great in that Lady With The Spinning Head kind of way.

Great, great track, anyone else feeling this way? :wink:

I love it too. Maybe I'm a loon, but in my mind, it's the missing link between Pop and ATYCLB.

It kinda reminds me of Bad...
Has the same repetitive thing in it that slowy builds up...
Can you imagine Bad (like Boston 2001) followed by Levitate...:drool:

Last edited:
Interesting that Levitate is from the Pop sessions. I would have rather seen it released in the ATYCLB era than the Pop era though.

There is something very genuine and upbeat about Levitate which just doesn't fit with the Pop era for me, just an opinion.

It's a great driving song :drool:

gorman said:
Actually, Levitate is from the Pop sessions. Despite the song titles, Edge states that Levitate is from Pop and Flower Child is from HTDAAB. I think all of the others are named correctly.

so you mean Bono's been wanting to use the "Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" line for like 8 years? :lmao: that's so adorable and funny. It's a great line in Miracle Drug, but in Levitate it's kinda random... just like the Always line. Bono really seems to like the Always lyrics too, since he also lifted a line in AMAAW... Always is a great song though, so I don't blame him.

I think with some lyrical adjustments and some more "oomph" at the end, Levitate would be album material. Who knows, maybe a more finished version of it will appear on the next album (probably not since it's on iTunes but you never know). The beginning is like the missing link between Pop and ATYCLB, then when it kicks in around 2:20 it's so awesomely Achtung...the bass, the drums! Hello Zoo Station! :drool: The end is great too, it just needs something a little extra...something like Gone or UTEOTW or Crumbs... but yeah, I like Levitate a lot.

Anything remotely unsafe is out of the question. Lower the risks.
Be as popular as possible.

All of that has nothing to do with the quality of the music, but it's the trajectory of the current U2. No huevos. How can you argue with this? You can't. Doesn't mean that HTDAAB isn't a good album, but songs like Levitate or Mercy are going to end up on hte cutting room floor while we are treated with Sting-esque ballads like 'A Man and a Woman'.

Back
Top Bottom