MERGED --> Just been announced, NO Nobel Prize to Bono + Bono didn't win

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulioArca

Acrobat
Just been announced, NO Nobel Prize to Bono

Its just been announced here in Oslo that the Nobel Peace Price went to Mohammed ElBaradei and the IAEA.

Maybe next year...

Frankly, it doesn't bother me that Bono didn't win, but what does bother me is that the cynic inside me suspects the IAEA and its director solely won because this year is the 60th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Mohamed El Baradei, head of U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, wins 2005 Nobel Peace Prize

Damn you all beat me to it! I was waiting for the 'breaking news' on the CNN site

kind of surprised it wasn't someone from the Red Cross... with everything they went through in the last year

good selection nonetheless I guess

Lila64 said:
Mohamed El Baradei, head of U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, wins 2005 Nobel Peace Prize

Damn you all beat me to it! I was waiting for the 'breaking news' on the CNN site

If I waited for the 'breaking news' on the BBC, I wouldnt find out until 2moro!:angry:

Axver said:
Frankly, it doesn't bother me that Bono didn't win, but what does bother me is that the cynic inside me suspects the IAEA and its director solely won because this year is the 60th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I sense a conspiracy here; IAEA -> 60th anniversary of Hiroshima/Nagasaki -> Bono -> The Unforgettable Fire..

No, I'll get my coat..

JulioArca said:

I sense a conspiracy here; IAEA -> 60th anniversary of Hiroshima/Nagasaki -> Bono -> The Unforgettable Fire..

No, I'll get my coat..

HA!

Well, I do believe nuclear-related things won on the 40th and 50th anniversaries of the nuclear bombings too, so considering how politicised things are, it would not shock me if that's why the IAEA won this year too.

If those bombs had been dropped in 1944, I bet someone else - though probably not Bono anyway - would've won.

At least he was nominated and it is a great honor for him. He even said they were never give it to an Irish Rock Star. He was humbled, and talked about it on Conan this evening/morning. We still love him anyways, and know he will continue on his mission... :hug:

yertle-the-turtle said:
Hey Julio,

You were rubbish in my fantasy footy team, and then you score a fantastic free kick against Middlesbrough? What's up with that?

Cos Im a legend for SAFC!

Seriously, he is by far the best best player 'we' have, you should have him your team every week!

Re: Just been announced, NO Nobel Prize to Bono

JulioArca said:
Its just been announced here in Oslo that the Nobel Peace Price went to Mohammed ElBaradei and the IAEA.

What, IKEA won the Nobel Prize?????!!!!!! :hyper: :applaud: :drool: :heart: :cute:

Nobel Peace prize went to Mohammed ElBaradei of the IAEA

Bono might have lost again but I'm sure the winner is just a deserving. Congratulations to the winner! Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• bono at copenhagen2.jpg
    bono at copenhagen2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
It's a shame. I have a feeling that they won't give it to him until he's almost done working on it all---which may well be never. I don't see how he & his cause can have another bang-up year like this year was media-wise. We'll see! :shrug:

I think one thing that hurt him is the pairing with Geldof. I don't know if they were considered as a pair or individually, but if they were paired I don't think it helped Bono any. If the Committee were to give the pair the award, it would be like they're awarding Live8. If they were to give it to Bono alone (or Geldof alone, but I don't think he stands anywhere near the chance), then they'd be awarding the man & the work.

meh... i certainly didn't think bono would win, but i do think he's more worthy than these jokers, who really haven't accomplished anything this year. iraq is a mess, iran is doing what they want, and so is north korea. what makes these guys worthy of winning?

if i was jamilia, i'd be pissed.

Look; its easy to see why Bono didn't win. It's because of the non-rocking encores at the past few U2 shows. The Nobel Prize committee prefer The Fly and Discotheque to The First Time. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom