MERGED --> Joshua Tree Limited edition: Paris + outside its America + Tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Video to "Red Hill Mining Town" shot by Neil Jordan and never released would be a great extra or easter egg on the DVD :drool:

artinis1 said:
from nick

over at musictap.net, they have posted a release date of november 20th for this, there are no details but it does list the 3 different versions, this site is very reliable, i usually check it once a week for news regarding upcoming releases, must be real

Agreed. That site is usually very good regarding new release information.

Here's the exact blurb:

One of the more interesting release news is the reissue of Joshua Tree (1987) from U2 by their label, Island Records. The album is being remastered and hopefully signals the beginning of an extensive overhaul of the U2 Catalogue, especially the earlier stuff. Joshua Tree is a good start. This planned reissue will release as a standard CD, a double LP, a 2CD Deluxe Edition, and a 2CD/1DVD Deluxe Edition – upgrade time. These gems are expected on November 20. Keep an eye on these pages for more info as I get them.

from nick,

yes he usually right on target with release dates, but it is already october 10, when will we get official confirmation, should be this week right, i mean they should promote it a little

artinis1 said:
from nick,

yes he usually right on target with release dates, but it is already october 10, when will we get official confirmation, should be this week right, i mean they should promote it a little

True, however I'm not sure this will garner that much promotion once it is 'officially' announced. It is only a reissue, no matter how important it is to us.

I am looking forward to this reissue, and I hope that the rest of the catalog will get a similar treatment...:yes:

You know what would be a super cool easter egg??

The filmed performance of their LA Kwiki Mart mini concert they did while filming the video for Streets.. Because they did do a few other songs and a couple takes of Streets.

Now that would be a real gem.

david said:
You know what would be a super cool easter egg??

The filmed performance of their LA Kwiki Mart mini concert they did while filming the video for Streets.. Because they did do a few other songs and a couple takes of Streets.

Now that would be a real gem.

I think they only played the songs to entertain the crowd while the video crew were re-adjusting and re-positioning themselves.

Gievn the techinical requirements of a covert concert on a rooftop - I bet performance and technical quality must have suffered.

Has an audio recording surfaced of the rooftop gig?

u2fp

One of the more interesting release news is the reissue of Joshua Tree (1987) from U2 by their label, Island Records. The album is being remastered and hopefully signals the beginning of an extensive overhaul of the U2 Catalogue, especially the earlier stuff. Joshua Tree is a good start. This planned reissue will release as a standard CD, a double LP, a 2CD Deluxe Edition, and a 2CD/1DVD Deluxe Edition – upgrade time. These gems are expected on November 20. Keep an eye on these pages for more info as I get them.

i'm sorry if i'm missing something, but could someone fill me in, because i thought U2 broke away from the Island Records label last year .....
but this is REALLY exciting news. omgomg Christmas coming early, for sure

tuwie said:

i'm sorry if i'm missing something, but could someone fill me in, because i thought U2 broke away from the Island Records label last year .....

I presume Island still has the rights to JT though.

Good point tuwie. Do U2 own the rights to their albums, Island, or now Mercury ?

I can confirm that................after checking in my local HMV store today....there is indeed a double disc Joshua Tree penned in for December release. There is no info on what the second disc is but the RRP is £16 (approx $32 us)

U2girl said:
Good point tuwie. Do U2 own the rights to their albums, Island, or now Mercury ?

As I understand it, U2 takes their music with them when they move. That's one of the reasons Paul is/was so smart; the band owns the music, not the label. I've read that's what makes the band such a desirable commodity; they bring their back catalogue with them.

U2FanPeter said:

I think they only played the songs to entertain the crowd while the video crew were re-adjusting and re-positioning themselves.

Gievn the techinical requirements of a covert concert on a rooftop - I bet performance and technical quality must have suffered.

Has an audio recording surfaced of the rooftop gig?

u2fp

There is both an audio recording and a video recording, both fan-made...neither is particularly listenable/watchable though.

If this Paris DVD business is legit I'd expect WTSHNN to be on there as a bonus track/easter egg of some kind. The rooftop performance would be a great choice...for example the actual performance with audio, rather than the video cut with the studio track dubbed over.

martha said:

As I understand it, U2 takes their music with them when they move. That's one of the reasons Paul is/was so smart; the band owns the music, not the label. I've read that's what makes the band such a desirable commodity; they bring their back catalogue with them.

I believe Island Records has some sort of stake in the catalog, though. If you go to their site, you'll see all the old U2 albums still.

http://www6.islandrecords.com/site/search_catalog_detail.php?cat_artist_id=1736

Remember the old Island Records' website? The very first one? There was a picture of a record store with records lining both sides of an aisle, and you clicked on the records to find the Island artist of your choice. I remember in the mid-90s, there was all kinds of fervor because there was a new U2 album on that site labeled "Ocober", and no one knew what that meant.

Anyone remember that?

[/tangent]

CTU2fan said:

The rooftop performance would be a great choice...for example the actual performance with audio, rather than the video cut with the studio track dubbed over.

Was there actual audio of that song? I always presumed the band was playing along to the track.

Blue Room said:

I just said that the only thing that makes it believable is the Universal site from the other thread. So I conceded it was a possibility. Where does Steve mention the DVD though? Like I said before only internet fan sites have reported that part. That is what has made me skeptical of this to begin with. Paris 87 is a very odd choice for an official DVD. Might be true, great if it is. But I'm not getting my hopes up until there is a official confirmation and they start pre orders for it and it says it includes the Paris 87 DVD.

You´re right, we cannot take that for granted, but I just hope these fansites´ rumours are indeed true. That would be a remarkable way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of a masterpiece like The Joshua Tree, and I´m eager to put my little hands on it. :)

For what its worth, U2tour.de says the German Amazon site has the preorder for the regular and limited edition, and again they say there will be additional songs, and Paris and Outside its America on DVD.

There's still doubt and speculation even after Steve Averill said that he's about to deliver the artwork? I've been convinced since last month when someone got word about this reissue directly from Universal.

greenlight7-11 said:
There's still doubt and speculation even after Steve Averill said that he's about to deliver the artwork?

It just wouldn't be Interference if there weren't a huge debate about it, if some people weren't blindly getting all excited, if Blue Room weren't vocally naysaying everything, and if I weren't somehow relating everything on earth including your sleeping patterns back to setlist statistics.

I don't think there's still doubt that the re-release is coming, I think the only doubt is re: the Paris/Outside It's America/DVD business.

Woops! You beat me to the Billboard article, bsp77. Interesting to learn that "band members contributed new liner notes" for the release. So much for the band not taking an interest in this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom