MERGED --> Joshua Tree Limited edition: Paris + outside its America + Tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things regarding Streets' absence from the Paris set:

1. This wasn't as rare as some might think. It was only played at just over half the European dates on the JT Tour. Though, that said, it has only missed one show since the end of the JT Tour - 18 November 1989, Sydney.
2. I wonder if U2 feel a bit shackled down, maybe like there's an expectation upon them, that they "have" to play Streets at every gig. We know they considered dropping it prior to the Vertigo Tour. Maybe this is their way of saying "hey, look, we can play a really bloody great show without Streets; it's awesome but not essential!" Or maybe they're kicking themselves and wishing they'd played it now, who knows!

Don't they feel equally shackled by WOWY? I know this was dropped near the beginning of Vertigo, right, but it reappeared soon after. How many shows since JT has that one missed? Or BTBS?

And I don't imagine they will ever play a full concert again, EVER, that doesn't have One in the setlist.

Of course, if they had the courage to get rid of Pride, they should be able to drop anything.

lazarus said:
Don't they feel equally shackled by WOWY? I know this was dropped near the beginning of Vertigo, right, but it reappeared soon after. How many shows since JT has that one missed? Or BTBS?

And I don't imagine they will ever play a full concert again, EVER, that doesn't have One in the setlist.

Of course, if they had the courage to get rid of Pride, they should be able to drop anything.

I don't think they feel quite as shackled to WOWY - rather, it's probably One or Bullet. WOWY was also dropped on the third leg of Elevation - it was played at the first three shows but then missed the remaining 27 (it also missed one on the first leg, 28 May 2001, Montreal). Prior to that, it missed five of the fourth leg ZooTV gigs and eleven on Lovetown. On Vertigo, it missed 28 shows; most of the first leg and a handful on the second. So, after the JT Tour (on which it missed two shows), it has missed a total of 72 shows. Bullet, in contrast, has missed a mere six: five on Lovetown and 10 October 2001 on Elevation. Unlike WOWY and Streets, it didn't miss a single JT show (the other songs not to miss a JT show were ISHFWILF, Exit (!), I Will Follow, Pride, and RTSS).

I hope One does get the shaft sometime, and not just because I don't like it. It's the only pre-ATYCLB song to have been played at every gig since its debut. From ATYCLB, Beautiful Day and Elevation have been played at every gig since their debut, and from HTDAAB, Vertigo, COBL, and SYCMIOYO haven't missed one yet.

Perhaps because "Streets" has been on every DVD they've put out, as well as having the ultimate JT version shot absolutely beautifully during R&H, there's no need to feature it again?

Love the idea of seeing some of those rare songs in digital beauty...UF:drool: Outside It's America:drool:

Now all we need is a R&H special edition DVD with the "Making Of" special, outtakes, and band/Joanou commentary, and we can all move into the future!

Wow, Outside It's America?! That is so cool! I watched this on YouTube at school last year and think it's better than Rattle and Hum. :hyper: I'm not that excited about the Paris show because I don't download bootlegs and have never heard it. But if I had faster internet, then maybe that would be different. :whistle:

This is so amazing! When I first heard about the 20th anniversary re-release I was hoping they would include Outside It's America because I'd never seen it, but I thought it was just a pipe dream. And a full concert to boot? Holy crap! This is how you do a anniversary re-release. I don't even care that the concert doesn't include Streets.

hmm - are we not over analysing the abscence of streets? it doesn't necessarily mean the band is sending a message about their feelings of the track, or some new direction.

I suspect it is just a concert they are choosing to realise, which happened not have streets on it (like the Leeds concert three nights before it).

I'd love to see Bono handling the tear gas incident - I've only read about it.

Really hope this release happens, it sounds awesome :hyper: The Paris gig is a great night so a cleaned up version with great picture and sound quality will be brilliant.

Personally I'm not too concerned with the absence of Streets, I don't feel any song is indispensable really, I think U2 should treat Streets the same way as Bad i.e: rotate it or play it sporadically. It's rarity would make its performances so much more special when it actually does appear and the reaction of the audience would increase tenfold.

Back in the late eighties Streets didn't have the huge reputation it has now, it wasn't this transcendent moment that we look at it as today, it was an up-tempo number to thrill the audience and get them in the mood. U2 didn't feel as if they HAD to play it, which I think they do nowadays. I actually don't think Streets really gained its massive status as THE live U2 song until 2001 on the Elevation tour, despite some excellent renditions on both ZOO TV and Popmart.

I think the band would like to play it less on tour but I don't think the believe they would actually get away with it.

U2place.com says there will be 4 versions.

- regular remastered CD with the 11 album songs
- the remastered CD with the JT B-sides
- remastered CD, B-sides and the DVD
- vinyl edition

I think Streets got the LIVE status it has on the Zoo TV tour, with the transition and the lights used.

ISHFWILF also wasn't played early on last two tours right ? I think they wanted to drop Pride on Popmart and I think Willie Williams said they thought about not doing Streets on Popmart. I guess it's such an integral part of the live experience it may be the one song not to be skipped.

U2girl said:
ISHFWILF also wasn't played early on last two tours right ?

Correct. It also missed a sizeable chunk of ZooTV; 52 shows (53 counting Hershey). It was played at every JT and Lovetown show; the only other song to have the same status was Pride, and ISHFWILF still beats it because it was done twice at a JT Tour gig (in NYC, they did it in its usual main set spot, then were joined by the New Voices of Freedom in the encore and did it again). It hit every Popmart show, but was only played once on the first two legs of Elevation before being played at all but one of the third leg's 30 shows. As for the Vertigo Tour, it missed 40 shows - it was done at all fourth leg shows and only missed a small number on the second and third legs, but on the fifth leg, it hit just 7 of 13, and on the first, just two overall!

As for Pride on Popmart, I believe Bono didn't want to do it but the rest of the band basically outvoted him and convinced him to do it.

And my next post is my 30,000th. :ohmy:

U2girl said:
I think Streets got the LIVE status it has on the Zoo TV tour, with the transition and the lights used.

Yeah I think ZOO TV is where Streets actually became a bit of a set-peice for the bands concerts. The slow organ build, the strange noises of interference, the monitors turning red and then the big explosion with the house lights flooding the stadium, all heightened the feeling that this was something epic. It had been an awesome live experience for some time, but it seemed to me to jump up into another league for Elevation. Until then I think it would have been possible (if unlikely) for the song to miss a couple of shows here and there, but after Elevation I think it became a full time staple in the bands set lists from here on in.

Hey, maybe this is true but I still find it difficult to believe. The only sources I have read that say anything about this DVD part are internet fan sites. The ONLY thing that makes me think the remastered edition is a possibility is the Universal site that was linked in the other thread. But that does not appear to indicate anything about a DVD.

I guess we will just have to see. Outstanding if all this is true and I will be extremely happy as JT is my favorite U2 album. But until there is an "official" announcement I'm not getting my hopes up.

Blue Room said:
Hey, maybe this is true but I still find it difficult to believe. The only sources I have read that say anything about this DVD part are internet fan sites. The ONLY thing that makes me think the remastered edition is a possibility is the Universal site that was linked in the other thread. But that does not appear to indicate anything about a DVD.

I guess we will just have to see. Outstanding if all this is true and I will be extremely happy as JT is my favorite U2 album. But until there is an "official" announcement I'm not getting my hopes up.

Well, Steve Averill was doing some Q and A and he says all U2 albums will be remastered. (in the new album forum) Apparently the cover for JT edition is due next week.

DevilsShoes said:

Yeah I think ZOO TV is where Streets actually became a bit of a set-peice for the bands concerts.

Agree. It really serves as a redemptive piece, at least musically, in U2 sets from ZooTV and on. There is usually some weirdness, some darkness, some conflict, and Streets is just a release. That's why the seque is crucial. And why Please/Streets is so effective.

U2girl said:

Well, Steve Averill was doing some Q and A and he says all U2 albums will be remastered. (in the new album forum) Apparently the cover for JT edition is due next week.

I just said that the only thing that makes it believable is the Universal site from the other thread. So I conceded it was a possibility. Where does Steve mention the DVD though? Like I said before only internet fan sites have reported that part. That is what has made me skeptical of this to begin with. Paris 87 is a very odd choice for an official DVD. Might be true, great if it is. But I'm not getting my hopes up until there is a official confirmation and they start pre orders for it and it says it includes the Paris 87 DVD.

martha said:

:tsk: So much for any real rarities. The same stuff everyone already has on other official releases.

The album plus the 7 b-sides fits perfectly on one CD (79mins 6sec) so it kinda makes sense that there are no rarities.

BUT if the release ends up being a double CD then we'll likely get more than just the b-sides (why bother with a double CD if you can get all the tracks on a single CD?). Since the initial rumours did in fact suggest a double album, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for rarities.

Really hope this is true. If so this would be the best U2 release in donkey's years.
I've always thought that Outside Is America was better than Rattle and Hum.

Blue Room said:

I just said that the only thing that makes it believable is the Universal site from the other thread. So I conceded it was a possibility. Where does Steve mention the DVD though? Like I said before only internet fan sites have reported that part. That is what has made me skeptical of this to begin with. Paris 87 is a very odd choice for an official DVD. Might be true, great if it is. But I'm not getting my hopes up until there is a official confirmation and they start pre orders for it and it says it includes the Paris 87 DVD.

I'm just responding to this part of your post "The ONLY thing that makes me think the remastered edition is a possibility is the Universal site that was linked in the other thread". Now we have Steve Averill saying the remastering is (are) happening.

Well, we'll see. They had the DVD for their past few releases so maybe they will do it now too. :shrug:

As cool as this Paris/Outside It's America DVD sounds, I think I would rather have a DVD with a 5.1 mix of the album.

If Come on Everybody and Stand By Me are cut from the Paris DVD then the show will jump right into I Will Follow... Which is a cool intro song anyway.

All I care about is having another good version of Bad on DVD from that era.

david said:

All I care about is having another good version of Bad on DVD from that era.

And I care for ANY Live DVD version of Unforgettable Fire

That Gem must be released

And just to heat up the discussion a little bit :wink:

UF >>>>>>> Bad

Yes, "The Uforgettable Fire" definetly is one of U2's best songs ever – and this track has to be played live again on the next tour. I'd wish it to be a staple in the setlists – together with "Bad" played more regular ...

from nick

over at musictap.net, they have posted a release date of november 20th for this, there are no details but it does list the 3 different versions, this site is very reliable, i usually check it once a week for news regarding upcoming releases, must be real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom