MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing (as was said earlier) is there is no actual way to determine any of this.

We can compare album sales...but that doesn't really determine a bands greatness or legacy. We can compare ticket sales..but that accomplishes even less. U2 is a rarity when it comes to discussion of musicianship because most would agree that seperately they are not the greatest, but together form something unlike anything else.

Perhaps that is the beauty in all music discussion, there are no definites. That is why I choose to be open to whatever vibration is being produced. As long as an artist doesn't end up on an ipod..oops..I meant..umm..lunchbox I can respect the effort. Sure, there are boatloads of bands I can't stand (Nickelback was just mentioned!) but people can't really help what they like any more than you can help if you like mushrooms or not.

The only thing you can do is try them.

cmb737 said:
one more thing on this -

U2 by Chris Martin

....That's what we've learned from U2: You have to be brave enough to be yourself.

(From Rolling Stone 946, April 15, 2004)

That's it right there....they haven't learned anything...they are NOT 'brave enough to be themselves'. The best proof of this lies in Gibsongirl's screen captures a few pages back...how can any reasonable person say that Coldplay's first two songs/videos from X&Y aren't blatantly ripping U2's style? And, it's not some obscure part of U2's past that they're emulating--it's U2's most recent works!!!

This thread sucks a fat piece of ass.

Seriously, get over it.

Debating is a good thing, that's true.

Coldplay bashing is a cliche thing.

As someone who loves every word out of Chris Martin's mouth, I know that most of the time, he's just playing around with what he says. He has strange ways of phrasing a lot of things. He's harmless, and no one should be upset about him making a comparison to Rocky and U2 being an opponent.

Is U2 his opponent? Absolutely not. He knows that. They are his superior, and he wants to work at one day becoming greater than they are.

If I'm a kid growing up playing baseball and I worship Albert Pujols, would I want to stay below his level out of reverence? Absolutely not. The point of having heroes is to look up to and strive to trump even their great accomplishments.

At least that's my opinion.

And I'm going to go ahead now and point out that I said Chris Martin is harmless, as I'm sure there's going to be some joke made about the fact that "their music is too" or something equally endearing. I'm just getting it out of the way so no smart ass gets a sense of satisfaction out of making a shitty joke.

angelordevil said:

That's it right there....they haven't learned anything...they are NOT 'brave enough to be themselves'. The best proof of this lies in Gibsongirl's screen captures a few pages back...how can any reasonable person say that Coldplay's first two songs/videos from X&Y aren't blatantly ripping U2's style? And, it's not some obscure part of U2's past that they're emulating--it's U2's most recent works!!!

I can.

The video for speed of sound (referenced in GibsonGirls posts) was released in May of 2005. This is prior to the start date of the European leg and general public knowledge of the U2 Vertigo European leg production. The video was most likely in production months prior to this. If anything they were created at the same time, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same contractors were used to develop both effects. One could probably argue (without any facts to back up either perspective) that U2 ripped off Coldplay.

Of course neither is true. Both are making use of new emerging technologies and were probably unaware of the similarities.

AngelofDevil, I think you are taking his quote out of context. He is referring to being brave enough to be yourself in regards to humanitarian work and being involved in often unpopular causes. Putting aside the celebrity and using it to do something worthwhile.

Last edited:
again COLDPLAY is utter shit
any time cocksucker (C.M.) starts whining (some call it singing):madspit: its just like the excrement hits the ventilator:rant: beam them back to planet shithouse:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

I take his quotes about as seriously as I do the other members of Jim Henson's creations.
Ya know when Chris Martin sings, sometimes he does sound like Kermit The Frogg! :laugh:
Maybe they will duet one day

im sorry to say this but coldplay are the next u2!!

listen to any new coldplay song and then listen to cobl or md etc!most of htdaab sounds like a coldplay album!!

i rest my case!!

Axver said:

You see, I'm a natural born debater who doesn't have an off switch. I walk out of formal debates, don't switch off debating mode, and continue to flatten everything in my path. :wink:

Does this mean you're a "mass debater"?????:ohmy:

cmb737 said:

The video for speed of sound (referenced in GibsonGirls posts) was released in May of 2005. This is prior to the start date of the European leg and general public knowledge of the U2 Vertigo European leg production. The video was most likely in production months prior to this.

Just fact-wise..... Wasn't the COBL video shot during the first North American leg of the Vertigo tour? And weren't the lights, etc., used in the European leg fairly similar to those on the first leg?

Just curious. Not that it changes the fact that everybody was probably working on everything at the same time--or that it really matters..I think that nitpicking the lighting used in a tour is perhaps going a bit too far into the debate...

angelordevil said:

right on! :rockon:

because we all know that u2 invented the video screen, and that no one ever did a video with the lead singer walking down the street before the sometimes video.

On the cloud that you're sitting
There's one born every minute
So much to discover
I've become a believerrrr

:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom