MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, October, and War are all better than ROBTTH. I like ROBTTH, but it doesn't have the fire in its belly that the aforementioned records do.

namkcuR said:
Boy, October, and War are all better than ROBTTH. I like ROBTTH, but it doesn't have the fire in its belly that the aforementioned records do.

I partially disagree, AROBTTH is way better than otober.

coldplay are the kings of copy and they are the most overrated band ever. they create nothing of their own. all the cheesy melodies they play i have heard a long time ago by other artists. coldplay are selling crap for money. the day they stop making music i will praise the lord!

LightMyWay60 said:

How many people can actually see Coldplay creating albums like The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby?

Coldplay making a Joshua Tree or Achtung? They are, like it or loathe it, pretty much the biggest band in the world at the moment. There is certainly a large element that seriously dislikes them - both in the public and media, yet another massive element in both the public and media that glorifies them as the second coming of Christ. Their style is in big need of a change. They clearly are on their own mammoth ego trip in many ways. All of these factors mean that Coldplay are heading for a fall. As we well know, it's after such a fall that most musicians and bands produce their best work. Can Coldplay pull that off? They are very good songwriters. Yes, not highly original or interesting or even close, but the technical ability is certainly there. Although played to death and to the point of hatred, a song like Clocks is very, very good (the first time around). They've certainly got the drive as well. I also think from that place they could certainly pull off an album that gets the acclaim and attention JT & Achtung received - the bar has most certainly been lowered over the years - but the same level? Dunno. I really want them to try though. I don't think Coldplay are inherently evil, just misguided.

coldplay will never be like u2..................
i really don't understand this band, they're talented, they're good and people like them...................why the hell must they act like u2??????? why the hell must they have a style like u2???????
where's the originality???? why must they build a career such a doppelganger band? and right in the moment when u2 are around! they must pay attention, otherwise they will remain where they are............... but i hope they will change................it's good for music to have another great band, especially in times like this, where music is disappearing.............

Alright people.

I dislike X&Y as much as the next person, I think Coldplay REALLY dropped the ball, but for the love of dixie, am I the only person who doesn't think they are like U2? I see no similarities in style, performance or songs. Except for maybe a resemblance in the guitar work, but it is only slight.

Get over this band, you whinging pack of hyenas.

Coldplay's carreer will probably end if they will release another typical Coldplay record... People will get tired if they don't change their style a bit!

U2 would be touring and selling out stadium's right now if they didn't change their style and sound from time to time...

Neilz said:

Of course not sweetheart... But you might want to check out what offtopic stands for :eyebrow:

Seriously, don't ever call me that again.

And stop going off topic. It's really tiresome.

U2Man said:
Seriously, don't ever call me that again.

And stop going off topic. It's really tiresome.
I'm no officer either you know :|

Anyway's.. Off with the horns, on with the show...

Neilz said:
Coldplay's carreer will probably end if they will release another typical Coldplay record... People will get tired if they don't change their style a bit!

U2 wouldn't be touring and selling out stadium's right now if they didn't change their style and sound from time to time... (Achtung baby, Pop, ATYCLB)

Last edited:
I have trouble seeing comparisons between both U2 and Radiohead. Chris Martin will occasionally sound a bit like Thom Yorke, the guitarist may use a delay pedal now and again, and there may be a bit of activism going on. It all just seems to be Martin boasting that he wants to be a better frontman than Bono (he's said it himself that he no longer wants to be a member of U2, as he believes he's already in the greatest band in the world).

I'd like to think Coldplay are just in their own league of mediocrity. I personally felt nothing of them until not too long before X&Y was released, and there seemed to be more hype of them than ever. I remember more distantly that they were meant to be the next Travis. I wish it was still like that.

The Sad Punk said:
It all just seems to be Martin boasting that he wants to be a better frontman than Bono (he's said it himself that he no longer wants to be a member of U2, as he believes he's already in the greatest band in the world)
If he is really thinking that, he should get a knock on the head to wake him up! :D

It's easy for us to say that Bono is the greatest showman that the world has ever seen, but Mr. Martin is a long way from being even close to a frontman like Bono! We should let Martin watch a copy of Zoo-TV Sydney and after that let him watch the Coldplay Live 2003 DVD... He will most likely fall down on his knees worshipping Bono's activity onstage, his enthausiasm, his intimacy with the crowd, etc.etc.etc....

Can someone please wake up Mr. Martin?

Boy is FAR better than anything Coldplay's ever done (or likely to do) because it has interest and passion. Coldplay are just that - cold. Nothing they produce makes me think anything other than bland, boring, snore, please God shoot me now before I have to listen to Fix You TRYING to be earnest and sincere and sounding like a child's nursery rhyme (but not as good).

The question of U2 writing a Fix You is irrelevant, because they are talented artists who make excellent music. They'd never write something that inane. Even the few songs of U2's I'm not fond of stand shoulders above the best of Coldplay.

I was watching this new show on the Comedy Channel tonight where David Spade spoofs shows like Entertainment Tonight and showbiz in general (I think it is called The Showbiz Show). Anyway, they has this other guy on doing a segment about MTV and the subject of Coldplay and the whole "the new U2" tag came up. He said, "The new U2? No, more like 'U suck'!" Then he said, "You know why U2 are cool? Because nobody calls them the old Coldplay."

:wink:

ROBTTH is overrated here. It's a good record for sure, but all of U2's first three records are better, and ROBTTH isn't even Coldplay's best record. Parachutes is better.

Bono's shades said:
I was watching this new show on the Comedy Channel tonight where David Spade spoofs shows like Entertainment Tonight and showbiz in general (I think it is called The Showbiz Show). Anyway, they has this other guy on doing a segment about MTV and the subject of Coldplay and the whole "the new U2" tag came up. He said, "The new U2? No, more like 'U suck'!" Then he said, "You know why U2 are cool? Because nobody calls them the old Coldplay."

namkcuR said:
ROBTTH is overrated here. It's a good record for sure, but all of U2's first three records are better, and ROBTTH isn't even Coldplay's best record. Parachutes is better.

Well, that's your opinion, and quite a minority opinion it is. As I already stated, there is no way an album like October is better than ROBTTH.

And Parachutes was a only a beginning, a stepping stone to ROBTTH. It's a decent disc, but ROBTTH is much better.

However, I don't think Coldplay will ever be able to match it.

I love Coldplay but they are already at a crossroads. Basically where U2 was with Rattle and Hum.

Coldplay never really had a Boy, October or War (unless you count early EPs).

Parachutes=Unforgettable Fire: Both semi-mainstream albums that had one huge hit (Yellow/Pride) but will slowly gain larger sales as the years go by.

A Rush of Blood to the Head=Joshua Tree: Huge breakthrough into the mainstream and many wonder whether they can top it.

X&Y=Rattle & Hum: Continuation of the ideas started with the previous album. Many people getting sick of both bands and say they need to change.

Then U2 came out with Achtung Baby. :drool: Can Coldplay do the same? Probably not. But I would love them to.

Please note that these comparisons are not trying to make a claim about style comparisons or quality comparisons, so please don't argue with me about that. I am just pointing out career trajectories.

I don't think it's much of a minority to think U2's first 3 albums are better than Coldplay's second. I totally agree and so would most people who didn't like Coldplay, lol. I sold Rush of Blood for a fiver, that's how much I wanted it out of my house.

Axver said:

I originally actually liked Coldplay ( :reject: ) and had high hopes for the future; I was looking forward to them developing their own sound and becoming distinct in a sea of shallow, inane, repetitive pop and rap.

What a misplaced hope that was! Instead of developing a sound, Coldplay have somehow regressed into even deeper depths of imitation! It's unbelieveable. You don't need to be a U2 or Radiohead fan to be able to hear the copying (for the record, I'm not a Radiohead fan). Chris Martin's just making himself and his band look even more shameful with every passing statement, song, and album.

And indra, why is it childish to criticise music and point out imitation?

I too liked Coldplay, and I still do a little bit, but I read a review in the Herald Sun that Coldplay have carbon copied AROBTTH. They wrote that the album sounds like U2 (but it's lost in synth and over-production) and that they will never be like U2 because they didn't experiement with their sound like U2 did.

But as of right now, do you think that Coldplay is bigger than U2? X&Y is selling better (I think) and they are getting far more publicity. I'm not talking about the past, because U2 are like 100-fold times bigger than Coldplay, but more of x&y vs HTDAAB.

Christ Martin - "We were fucking desperate," says Martin. "It just felt wrong. We had to decide whether we were a bunch of students who got lucky or were we going to admit that we are really fucking good? Actually it was me. Was I going to admit we are one of the best bands in the world? I thought, I might die at ny moment and I've been given this amazing opportunity with my best friends. And at that point we were doing ridiculous things--hanging out with U2--and I thought, I wouldn't want to be in U2, I am actually already in one of the best bands in the world."

COBL_04 said:
But as of right now, do you think that Coldplay is bigger than U2? X&Y is selling better (I think) and they are getting far more publicity. I'm not talking about the past, because U2 are like 100-fold times bigger than Coldplay, but more of x&y vs HTDAAB.

Coldplay aren't even close to U2 overall. Album sales are debatable - U2's currently ahead but HTDAAB had a head start of a few months. However, U2's concert sales blow Coldplay away. There's no way in the world Coldplay could play to 240,000+ people in Dublin, 150,000+ in Amsterdam, 140,000+ in Milan, 120,000+ in New York, etc.

Axver said:

Coldplay aren't even close to U2 overall. Album sales are debatable - U2's currently ahead but HTDAAB had a head start of a few months. However, U2's concert sales blow Coldplay away. There's no way in the world Coldplay could play to 240,000+ people in Dublin, 150,000+ in Amsterdam, 140,000+ in Milan, 120,000+ in New York, etc.

thank you. I like Coldplay, used to really like them but their new album isnt doing much for me.

I can't see Coldplay having an ability to re-invent themselves or change it up much. So by the next album people will start getting bored with them.

They'll never be "the next u2", I don't think anyone will ever be.

Back
Top Bottom