MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZooMacPhisto800 said:
Give them time, they're new... You have to compare their third album to U2's third album: War (includes the hit singles "Refugee" and "Two Hearts Beat As One".

I'd like to know where I may find Coldplay's Sunday Bloody Sunday or New Year's Day. Or, heck, for that matter, their Gloria.

Who said it needed to be a competition anyway?

I *heart* U2
I *heart* Coldplay
I *heart* ...enter name here....

What do you all think of the new Status Quo single?

theu2fly said:

Well for starters they are both British, and they use more rock guitars and pianos and more ... symphonic melodies in their songs, sort of what the Beatles started doing in 1967 when they met George Martin. The Beatles took a direction to mature pop / rock music.

Well you may have a point, but, imo, putting Coldplay alongside Beatles is even farther out than comparing them to U2.

I always thought of you as a doggie :wink:

hey, what happened to our buddy KEUF? Did he commit more Crimes Against the People?

theu2fly said:

I think the U2 fans on this board are thinking Coldplay is going to write some type of song like Bono. Granted that Chris wants to be like Bono, Chris writes more personal lyrics, where as Bono writes songs about current events.

The next U2 won't write songs like U2, but will capture audiences like U2 did.

I don't really care what Martin writes about or how much it's like U2, all I'm saying is that when the lyrics are so overused and cliche that I can guess ten for ten the ends of each sentance, I need something a bit more creative, passionate, edgy, inspiring, whatever. Also, I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Martin himself said he can't write very well.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Dude, those are U2 songs.

You missed my point.

I was asking where were Coldplay's classic songs on the level of those songs - or even close. Oh, that's right, they don't exist.

ruffian said:
I always thought of you as a doggie :wink:

hey, what happened to our buddy KEUF? Did he commit more Crimes Against the People?

:yikes: Where did he do that? :uhoh:

Axver said:

You missed my point.

I was asking where were Coldplay's classic songs on the level of those songs - or even close. Oh, that's right, they don't exist.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, however you want Coldplay classics? Yellow, Everything Not Lost, The Scientist, Clocks, however only time will tell...

I don't want to bash Coldplay but I seriously doubt that their songs - especially the ones on X&Y - will ever be classics. Not that I think U2 have many songs, that will be eternal classics, either, but I haven't heard a single Coldplay song that was interesting enough for me to want to listen to more than a few times.

Axver said:

You missed my point.

Yellow
Trouble
Clocks

They might be a little early to call "classics" but it's what they are remembered by...

theu2fly said:

I think the U2 fans on this board are thinking Coldplay is going to write some type of song like Bono. Granted that Chris wants to be like Bono, Chris writes more personal lyrics, where as Bono writes songs about current events.

The next U2 won't write songs like U2, but will capture audiences like U2 did.

U2 songs aren't personal????????

I'm not even going to give examples.....!!!!!!

Niceman said:

U2 songs aren't personal????????

I'm not even going to give examples.....!!!!!!

Usually current event songs have a personal connection in them.

I haven't heard Coldplay write a 'New Year's Day' or 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' tho...

theu2fly said:

Usually current event songs have a personal connection in them.

I haven't heard Coldplay write a 'New Year's Day' or 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' tho...

The two songs in question went with the theme "War"... songs can be about anything and have personal connections.

U2Man said:

Ok, think I know what you alluded too. :wink:

Edit: :ohmy: Hadn't seen that! Did he do something outrageous?

:shrug: i was playing poker and trying to avoid the setlist which did not work anyway.

and where is Pablo?

Back
Top Bottom