MERGED ----> Idol + The U2 Bump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakedpony

The Fly
dunno if it's already been poted but to those that care

apparently
david cook will sing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
in the final 2

we'll see

If there were ever a time for the :corn: smiley, it is here.

Bring on the pissing and moaning, people! Give it to me!

:corn: :corn: :corn:

corianderstem said:
If there were ever a time for the :corn: smiley, it is here.

Bring on the pissing and moaning, people! Give it to me!

:corn: :corn: :corn:

This post doesnt really help though.. it kind of sets the precedence for the responses. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
I'll bet David's version will top the original.

Agreed. I loathe the entire idea of American Idol, but this David Cook fella has something to him. He's a singer/songwriter and he just stands miles above anyone to ever walk onto an Idol stage.

Add to this the fact that he does outstandingly unique covers, and the fact that I really am not a huge fan of the U2 original, and I think this has the potential to be better.

lol im not a metallica fan(where did you get that idea from?)
David C will no doubt do a better job than bono,
he has a stronger voice and can hit high notes, something our
B-man cannot achieve! maby if it were 1987 ......... but ....you get the idea.

Considering the song was released in 1987, when Bono could hit high notes just fine ...

In other words, now YOU'RE spoutin' crazy talk.

I would be very surprised if David Cook does it in its original key.

He could sing it standing on his head playing his guitar backwards, and he's still going to fucking nail it. Every one of his covers has been simply brilliant. One of the best contestants of all time. :up:

re: MERGED ----> Idol + The U2 Bump

bakedpony said:
dunno if it's already been poted but to those that care

apparently
david cook will sing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
in the final 2

we'll see

omfg, are you serious?!?! FUCK, i am so excited, i want him to win, but holy fucking shit, better than the original? HELL NO....he won't even touch it, he's shit compared to bono now, and is shit to the bono 20 years ago....

friends, the original version of this song is so operatic and powerful. David C couldn't even come close to topping that...he simply isn't capable

I'm more excited over the fact that he will be doing an actual U2 song...has anyone on American Idol ever done a U2 song (in the top 24)? I doub it, although I think people have done U2 songs in the very early stages of the competition...anyway, I can't wait :D

oh, and shaun vox...Bono can't hit high notes? dude, sometimes I wonder what planet you are living on...i mean honestly...the most recent live U2 (Bono/Edge) performance is Union Chapel, quite recent. Now maybe you haven't heard the recordings, if not, forgive me, but Bono hit the "Oh sister..." line in Desire stronger than EVER BEFORE...AOH his voice sounded like it did in the 80's, only more controlled! Stay was also performed, and performed more powerfully than ever before IMO...and then Wave of Sorrow was unbelievable...and you say David C will top the original because he "can hit high notes, something our B-man cannot achieve!"- WTF?! :confused: And you think David C has a stronger voice...REALLY? I couldn't disagree more...David C is a very talented singer, has a very creative mind for music that will take him far, but slow down on the Bono comparisons :wink: And I say Union Chapel just because it's the most recent actual performance.

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
Union Chapel audio is not very good to judge bono's vox. ill wait for the new album and see how good bono sounds!

Haven't you already decided that he will not sound good?

NO! his voice is weak on atyclb(kite is good) and htdaab is the same. very scratchy at times. and what the fuck happened to The Falsetto. there better be some on the new album. bono not edge.
edge still has a good voice.

But Edge hasn't constantly sung for 30+ years.

:blahblah:

Turning every possible thread into an opportunity to bash Bono is simply ANNOYING.

Constantly bashing U2 or Bono is annoying just like constantly getting annoyed by bashers is hilarious.

shaun vox said:
Union Chapel audio is not very good to judge bono's vox. ill wait for the new album and see how good bono sounds!

Why not? Because it makes your criticisms sound ridiculous? :tongue:

David's will be awesome, not because he will better Bono, but because he'll likely re-arrange it brilliantly like he has his other covers. He's got quite the knack for adapting a song into his own interpretation yet maintaining the spirit of the thing. :up:

(as for Bono-bashing, or Bono-boosting, that's not really the point here, is it?? Besides...David probably plays the guitar better :wink: )

gvox said:
Besides...David probably plays the guitar better :wink: )

Oh no you di'int! You have now incurred the wrath of the Bonofangirls in this forum and will be sacrificed at the EYKIW altar. :sad:

gvox said:
David's will be awesome, not because he will better Bono, but because he'll likely re-arrange it brilliantly like he has his other covers. He's got quite the knack for adapting a song into his own interpretation yet maintaining the spirit of the thing.

... not to be argumentative, but which covers has he done his own arrangements for?

I wish they'd make a bigger deal about that on the show, if and when (do they ever?) do their own arrangements, rather than say "wow you're unique" and get everyone's grundies in a bundle when it's really Chris Cornell's version or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom