MERGED ----> Idol + The U2 Bump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono sounds so much better than this deal.

Cook's voice is too.......soft. I need to hear the passion.....not skill.

Either way. I appreciate the U2.

Bono sounds so much better than this deal.

Cook's voice is too.......soft. I need to hear the passion.....not skill.

Either way. I appreciate the U2.

yes, well unfortunately for Mr. Cook....Bono beats him on both accounts by a scary landslide.

anyyyyyywaaayyyyyy.....yes the same thought crossed my mind...and just a quick, possibly meaningless observation- i noticed that during the round where each finalist was told what their song would be, a large portion of the crowd screamed when the guy said, "a song by U2 called I still haven't found what i'm looking for" but then Archuletta's song was announced and I barely heard any cheering ...and now with the result, I'm seriously considering the "U2 Bump"....:lol:

Actually, Cook sang it in the same key Bono does live, and he did a great job of it.

I didn't think it was enough to beat Archeta or whatever his name is, that kid delivered 3 knockout songs and Cook was on cruise control in my opinion :shrug:

... not to be argumentative, but which covers has he done his own arrangements for?

I wish they'd make a bigger deal about that on the show, if and when (do they ever?) do their own arrangements, rather than say "wow you're unique" and get everyone's grundies in a bundle when it's really Chris Cornell's version or whatever.

I thought Hello was simply brilliant. AFAIK that was pretty much his? It was executed amazingly. I also thought his version of Billy Jean was executed better as well.

Yeah, I thought I'd be safe from spoilers in this forum, and I saw it before the spoiler warning was added to the title, and before it was merged with the Idol thread.

Oh well. I'm over it now. :wink:

Anyway, I don't think Cook won because he sang U2. I think he was greatly helped by Simon basically saying "dude, you aren't going to win this" the night before. If he wanted Cook to win, I think he was very smart to say that, because it brought out the Cook voters in droves. When Simon is harsh to someone with a massive voting fan base, watch out.

As for the song, he did fine. Anyone thinking it was going to top the U2 version is insane. But he did it justice.

Actually, Cook sang it in the same key Bono does live, and he did a great job of it.

I didn't think it was enough to beat Archeta or whatever his name is, that kid delivered 3 knockout songs and Cook was on cruise control in my opinion :shrug:

I think the fans voted for the one they wanted to buy an album from rather than the one with the best pure voice. I think Archuleta beats Cook by a small margin on pure voice, but there's zero chance I'd buy an album from him given the songs he sang during the season.

As for the song, he did fine. Anyone thinking it was going to top the U2 version is insane. But he did it justice.

I think that is exactly right. And sorry you were spoiled - that really sucks.

There was a really good article on Slate yesterday about how Cook winning signified that the Idol viewers/voters are really ready for a change in Idol-land.

Blake Lewis (mediocre singer, but brought something different and fun) coming in second last year hinted at it; Cook winning proved it.

I say: :up:

^Me too. Cook's pre-Idol solo work, "Analog Heart", is pretty decent. He's a great musician, and a better than average lyricist compared to a lot of Top 40 crap. Hopefully, he'll be allowed to make the album he wants to make.

i like David Cook but the Original is still the best for me. and don't forget, Bono wrote that song. i heard recently the songs of Axium(David Cook's former band) in Myspace,where the songwriter is David himself - they're good, yes, but, not unique as the songs of our beloved Bono.

just wanna say thank you to David Cook for not murdering "I Still Haven't Found What You're Looking For" - as one of the big judges said in the American Idol said " one of the most influential songs of all time". :)

Back
Top Bottom