MERGED ----> I wonder what U2.com can offer...renewing subscriptions... + U2.com...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
I wonder what (if anything) U2.com can offer as incentive for renewing subscriptions

For most of the paid-up members of the U2.com world, it will soon be time to dig deep in the pockets and come up with the money to renew the annual subscription. I wonder what U2.com can consider offering (if anything) as an incentive to renew again.

For the first year of the site, coming up with the money was easy. The priority concert ticketing for the 2005 Vertigo tour was the big draw. For the second year of the website, they've offered the U2.Communication cd/dvd.

Now, with the third year of U2.com just a few weeks away, so many fans (including me) will have to decide if it's worth the money. I don't visit the site very often. I get so much rare, interesting, and frankly better U2 stuff from other sites. I'll say it again. I just don't know how U2.com can compete with the likes of what's available on YouTube.com. I want U2.com to succeed. It's their content and they should be paid for it.

I thought that the U2.com incentive for next year's subscription might be some of the Milan concert DVD. But we now know that will be included in the bonus edition of the upcoming U218 "greatest hits". Anyway, I think it will have to be a pretty worthwhile incentive in order to prevent losing lots of paying members. I just can't imagine what they have up their sleeve. There's a tremendous amount of money to be made by U2.com if they do it right. Or, maybe they have nothing in mind and will be content to wait until the next tour to have millions of paying members join again. Any guesses?

I've been wondering the same thing. My subscription is up in a few weeks. In fact, I still haven't used my 25% coupon yet, and it expires in mid-November. There just isn't anything really great on there....I've been hoping that something new & cool will be available in the store soon....

....And hoping that there's some worthwhile giveaway this time around. :yes:

Re: I wonder what (if anything) U2.com can offer as incentive for renewing subscripti

Knuckle said:
For the second year of the website, they've offered the U2.Communication cd/dvd.

Frankly, for me, that was a disincentive to subscribe. I still consider that collection to be an insult to the hardcore fans who are most likely to join a fanclub, and the second I saw the tracklisting, my decision not to resubscribe was made.

To keep people on board, they're going to need to offer something really special that you can't get elsewhere (not performances of songs we already have 10 live copies of, or can buy as a b-side on a current single or DVD!). Maybe they should dig into U2's vault and release some stuff we don't have - demos, unreleased songs, performances of songs without an official live release like Tomorrow or Wire or The Unforgettable Fire or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

The problem mate is that u2.com is not run by u2 .......

I remember that interview with that business guy , who insisted and was vindicated with it , on releasing the Sweetest Thing Single ..... which he said that he would like very deeply and had said that to Paul , that he wanted McGuiness to buy it .......

So it's not big news the site is a joke ..... I mean C'mon they call it official site , and they Say There is gonna be a LIVE MILAN CD , where everybody here knew it was gonna be a DVD

Anyway talkin bout something worth to make the site fanclub more respectable , and respect to the fans as well , they could do something like , putting together like

A live Lovetown DVD even if uncomplete , I mean , This would surely boost the thing , something like this , Fans around would join it happily or

a Sort of Live Gems DVD with only songs , the underrated ones , like with Ultraviolet , UF , God Part II , and so many others

Now that would be really somethin

They could also do this very simple thing , of like offering live gig for download

And the most ridiculous thing of all , is that unlike many other things , U2 COULD compete with Youtube , I mean the guys have this so famous impeccable archive , they just don't it , coz don't wanna .

^ If u2.com gave out dvds---especially of older, pro-shot stuff, even if circulating only as bootleg dvds.....:combust:

Utoo said:
I've been wondering the same thing. My subscription is up in a few weeks. In fact, I still haven't used my 25% coupon yet, and it expires in mid-November. There just isn't anything really great on there....I've been hoping that something new & cool will be available in the store soon....

....And hoping that there's some worthwhile giveaway this time around. :yes:

Same thing here.

I was thinking of taking the Music rising Tshirt, at least that one won't only benefit the band.

I wonder though: if you resubscribe, you pay $32 instead of 40. My subscription runs out on new year's day. If I sign up after that, is that a resubscription or not??

Well the "U2 Communication" thing was a bit of a joke, I still can't get the CD-Rom content to work on my computer - I sent several messages to their "Help Desk" with no reply...:mad:

I did appreciate the 25% off discount; I bought several shirts at once and saved a bit...

If they offered more stuff on the online store and we got a good discount (like 30 - 50% off) I might be interested.

It would be nice to get discounts on books like U2 by U2 or U2 and I....

elevated_u2_fan said:
Well the "U2 Communication" thing was a bit of a joke, I still can't get the CD-Rom content to work on my computer - I sent several messages to their "Help Desk" with no reply...:mad:

I did appreciate the 25% off discount; I bought several shirts at once and saved a bit...

If they offered more stuff on the online store and we got a good discount (like 30 - 50% off) I might be interested.

It would be nice to get discounts on books like U2 by U2 or U2 and I....
I liked that too! Guess I am too easily pleased! I just wish the U@ book was something I could read in my backpack or something.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Do you have a space or funky character in your u2.com password? That was what did the trick for me---I had a space. I talked with a help desk chica & changed my password, sans space, and it worked fine. Seemed to be an issue for a lot of people.

You can use the coupon on a whole purchase? I thought it was only on one item. It'd be awesome if you can use it on a whole slew of things.

I subscribed way back when for just one thing - fanclub presale tickets. I didn't renew after that. LOL. If the site had a lot more interesting things to offer, I would consider it. However... content-wise, it just sucks. I wonder if the band would dump this web company and go with someone else if it weren't for Adam's brother?

Alright, it's coming down to the wire....

My subscription expires Nov. 19. I got an email saying that if I resubscribe, I'll get a copy of U2.Communication. :happy:

Can't they tell by the date I first subscribed that I already got the stupid cd???

They'd have to offer a lot for me.
I was not happy with my membership at all, not to mention the nosebleeds they gave me for the presale :yawn:

Plus I never received my stupid membership 'card' :madspit:

I was very let down with the stupid crap they gave us last time for renewing. :mad:

Edit: ok I do rather sound like a spoiled brat just then. But it did suck :sad:

Last edited:
pepokiss said:

that's because it was a key chain :wink:

I hear that U2.com is giving away metal keychains this year if you renew!! :wink:

seriously, though, I heard recently that it will still be called U2.communication, but will be DIFFERENT than last year's

"they're putting together the information now and would prefer not to go public with what it is until it's been fully put together so as to not confuse people (or give an unfair expectation). It may not be the type of disc we received - could be something completely different...but it will definitely be different going into the renewal season nonetheless."

hope this is true as I could not imagine renewing if it wasn't!

my u2rules@u2.com email address is not worth $35 a year when I cannot forward it to gmail to use a better SPAM filter!

bort269 said:

I hear that U2.com is giving away metal keychains this year if you renew!! :wink:

seriously, though, I heard recently that it will still be called U2.communication, but will be DIFFERENT than last year's

"they're putting together the information now and would prefer not to go public with what it is until it's been fully put together so as to not confuse people (or give an unfair expectation). It may not be the type of disc we received - could be something completely different...but it will definitely be different going into the renewal season nonetheless."

hope this is true as I could not imagine renewing if it wasn't!

my u2rules@u2.com email address is not worth $35 a year when I cannot forward it to gmail to use a better SPAM filter!

So where did you hear this?? That sounds like some inside information.

Utoo said:
Alright, it's coming down to the wire....

My subscription expires Nov. 19. I got an email saying that if I resubscribe, I'll get a copy of U2.Communication. :happy:

Can't they tell by the date I first subscribed that I already got the stupid cd???
I just got that e-mail. Somehow I'm not quite as willing to send them my $32 for the same thing they sent me last year, when I renewed my membership hoping they'd reset my code for the Hawaii presale. I never go to u2.com, I've only used my e-mail and pm's there to e-mail and pm people I know from here...not worth it. Especially when I don't have the money to spare this year hoping that renewing will keep my member #37 ( :nerd: ) for when they tour again in 4 years.

Ive never felt any need to join u2.com, so I never have.

All they need to do is offer something unique musically speaking and I would subscribe. But the Communication cd is a joke.

If u2 were actually involved with their official website and gave a crap about the members, I might join.

Utoo said:

Do you have a space or funky character in your u2.com password? That was what did the trick for me---I had a space. I talked with a help desk chica & changed my password, sans space, and it worked fine. Seemed to be an issue for a lot of people.

:hmm: you know what? I DO have a special character in my password... Thank you, I will try that out when I get home... Now, is it worth it however???

You can use the coupon on a whole purchase? I thought it was only on one item. It'd be awesome if you can use it on a whole slew of things.

It worked for me, I bought $100 worth and got $25 off (basically a shirt for free).

Back
Top Bottom