MERGED ----> I feel bad for U2 + The Bands' thoughts on the leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acrobatic said:

kinda like the diamond commercial. . .?

"I LOVE THIS BAND. . .I love them, I love them, I love them!"

HA! Exactly. ...slightly OT, but does anyone else find that commercial annoying? She's pissed off that her hubby wants to shout how much he loves her, UNTIL he gives her a ring. Then she loves him just fine. Materialistic bitch.

-Mike

Just a thought to add to this thread, NME is going to stream this on the 16th anyway...you don't think there's anyway in hell NME could do that without permission from the band/PM, do you? U2 are carefully coordinating who gets to hear the record. I highly doubt that this leak was just someone who decided to upload the vbrs.

drivemytrabant said:
We all are going to spend small fortunes on this record. And have already on this band.

Yep count me in that group.

drivemytrabant said:
The leak only hurts when it gets to the people who are downloading the cd so they don't have to buy it. Its those kind of people that piss me off.

Not the true fans just a cd counter...:madspit:

Mike P said:

HA! Exactly. ...slightly OT, but does anyone else find that commercial annoying? She's pissed off that her hubby wants to shout how much he loves her, UNTIL he gives her a ring. Then she loves him just fine. Materialistic bitch.

-Mike

I hate that commercial, too.

To Lisa71, Robvox, and starsforu2:

For Lisa71's sake please consider this a friendly discussion not a debate, despite the strident tone taken by some posters.

First, if you re-read my original post, my response was to the concept of "feeling bad" for the band. Irrespective of whether or not we think stealing $10 from 4 multi-millionaires is an ethical thing to do, there's certainly no need to feel bad for U2!

Second, does it matter a damn whether anyone thinks I'm a "real fan" or whether anyone thinks I know right from wrong? Of course not. I'm not offended because I know some people feel very strongly about these issues, but I think there are more effective and more collegial ways to express one's opinions.

Third, for the record (and the authorities!), I don't download at all, legally or illegally - but not because I don't think it's ethical.

Now to the more interesting issue: is free downloading "wrong"? I don't think it's as black-and-white as others seem to believe.

If one accepts the basic premises that underlie piracy laws, then one is certainly bound to consider unauthorized downloading a form of stealing like Lisa71's Wallmart analogy.

But I don't accept these premises.

1. I don't think the government should be able to limit my right to use my personal property (computer, tape recorder, Xerox machine) to copy music because IT DOESN'T HARM ANYONE. The only "harm" is to the profitability of a multi-million dollar record company - but that shouldn't trump my right to use my personal property as I please, with the exception of areas which might threaten the well-being of others. For example, we certainly should be willing to accept limits on our right to copy classified government info or private medical records. But music? Get real.

2. I don't think record companies should be allowed to possess exclusive music copyrights. Music is released into the atmosphere (or cybersphere), a PUBLIC SPACE. Even if U2 agrees to give exclusive album rights to one company to guarantee its own profits, that DOES NOT mean that I consented to give up my rights to do as I please with my property and with information released into a public space. If I yell out a great stock tip in the street, can I use government authority to stop others from writing it down because that might interfere with my "right" to make millions? Hell no, and correctly so.

3. Does society really have a legitimate interest in protecting record company profits at the expense of citizens' rights? In the past, perhaps. In the case of modern record companies, I'd say no. In the current era of massive media consolidation where 99% of artists have no negotiating leverage whatsoever, artists are forced to cede total control over their artistic production to publicize their work. That's not fair to the artists to begin with. Furthermore, in the past record companies benefited society somewhat by financially supporting the development of promising talent into outstanding musicians (e.g. U2). Nowdays, companies have found it more cost-effective to forego this development process and instead promote weak talent that is marketable (i.e. sexy and willing to dance half-naked in the video). This does not benefit society, and by doing so I think they have forfeited any "special consideration" given previously.

In the case of artists' profits, I think I would be willing to cede my rights under certain conditions: 1) the profits go to the artists not to mega-media companies; 2) the artists provide a mechanism to permit poorer folks to access the music paying less; and 3) a certain percentage of profits go toward developing promising talent into outstanding musicians. That would benefit society and ensure that artists profit reasonably from their work.

But under current conditions, the legal system is wrong in disallowing us from downloading music released into the public sphere.

If U2 comes out Monday and condemns the whole leak business, would you downloaders feel any remorse?

You all make it seem like U2 owes you something. U2 losing a million or two here or there is not a matter to be taken lightly. What if your boss decided to give you a pay cut because you were making more money than required for you to live on each month? Must a doctor be forced to work at a nurse's salary because there's no need for the doctor to have all that extra money? That is exactly what you downloaders are condoning. Of course U2 are not going to starve, but they will feel robbed--by their own fans, no less.

I cant put a price on U2s talent. Whether they have millions or even billions of dollars they still deserve our money for this masterpiece. Downloading the entire album and liking it and not paying for it is stealing.

"If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month. It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention fucking up our holidays."

GibsonExplorer said:
"If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month. It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention fucking up our holidays."

You're kidding right? This quote is from July for crying out loud. We are now 13 days from release.

IT'S NOT THAT BIG A DEAL. THEY ARE NOT ON HOLIDAY ANYMORE.

I'll be interested in what they have to say today, not 4 months ago.

I just sent some of you a message from the yahoo groups asking if you want the mp3's posted. I'm thinking of putting up 10 sec versions to help promote the album but as for full mp3's, nah.

I've given this topic a lot of thought ...

to me, downloading only hurts the albums that contain a lot of filler. It's put the onus on bands to deliver as strong an album as they can. Does it hurt the TRL one-hit wonder band who have one catchy song and 10 others that suck? Of course. Does it hurt bands who put out 4 and 5 star albums? No, because the word of mouth more than offsets the lost revenue.

I started downloading years ago and I've never looked back. I only buy the albums that I really like. I do spend a lot more money on going to see bands live - which they prefer because they see much more of that money than they do from CD sales.

This whole "wait til the album" comes out argument is so silly. They're songs, not some tangible hard good. At the end of the day, the songs you like are all in your head anyway.

Personally, I think a band like U2 is immune to the effects of internet leaks like this. AYCLB was leaked much sooner than this was, and I don't think it hurt them one bit.

The hype around U2 and this upcoming release is still bigger than anything. Their success is probably that much more assured due to this leak. No publicity is bad publicity, and these songs have tons of substance.

I can't wait to own an official Deluxe copy.:happy:

GibsonExplorer - :applaud:

Thanks for thinking about U2 first and yourself second.

I'm sure that they appreciate it.

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

I wasnt really thinking about this because I was so busy enjoying the album and getting into it. But today I visited my favorite bootleg site, and it was scattered ALL over the site. So many people are downloading this album, you dont understand. Everyone is so happy getting this download, its by far the most popular since Ive been on there. It could mean a lot of record sales for u2, which really sucks. I want them to hit #1 and sell millions, which they still will of course. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

They are?! Why didn't I hear about this?!

I guess I just don't know much about iPods. I thought they were only available in the US and the UK. :shrug:

IPODS look cool to me. i kept on checking the stores here for at least a promo poster or some kind of announcement when the IPOD U2 edition will come out. am not sure i can afford it though.
348USD is quite hefty here. just about the same price of a top of the line cellphone. but i am still interested and cant hardly wait to see those ads and posters displayed in the malls.

and by the way, i was able to download 3 songs = MD, SYCMIOYO, and YAHWEH. another diehard colleague passed it to me. SYCMIOYO is just an amazing rock ballad and so is YAHWEH and MD. and yes i can hardly wait to buy the album. Not quite sure though that all five formats will be sold here. But i'll be on the lookout for that. Otherwise, may have to ask good ol brother in sunny california to just send at least the dvd to me.
cheers!

Back
Top Bottom