Merged ----> I Can't Close My Eyes And Make It Go Away... + Video of Bono preaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
I Can't Close My Eyes And Make It Go Away...Bono/DATA Video

Bono Welcomes Gotee Acts in AIDS & Poverty Cause
July 26, 2002

Several Christian artists are joining U2 front man Bono in his international effort to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa.

Gotee acts Jennifer Knapp, Out of Eden, Relient K, GRITS, Jeff Deyo and John Reuben are joining Michael W. Smith, Margaret Becker, Third Day, Sixpence None the Richer, dc Talk, Jars of Clay, the Newsboys and others who have begun showcasing a three minute video appeal from Bono during this summer's festivals. In his cameo the Irish singer cites the 2,300 verses in the Bible which focus on the poor and asks audiences to respond to the profound need in Africa.

This multi-artist partnership was initiated a few months ago when Gotee's publicity manager, Jay Swartzendruber, teamed with his mentor Charlie Peacock to write a proposal for Bono's initiative called DATA -- Debt, AIDS and Trade for Africa. Soon the brilliant mind and heart of Steve Taylor joined the mix and the rest is becoming history.

More than 15 Christian artists have chosen to endorse DATA's initiative. While concert goers are being asked to provide their name and email address to receive DATA's strategic initiatives, many of the artists are also recommending other immediate ways fans can respond to Africa.

For more information visit http://www.datadata.org/

To watch the Bono video click on this link:
http://easylink.playstream.com/g1network/bono_high.rm

Chris

Yes, that is very good and everyone should watch and listen. It's very sad but important. Bono and Sachs are doing great work.

Oh, and the way Bono and Sachs LOOK in that video, I don't want to close my eyes!;) Lookin' good! :)

Video of Bono preaching his message!

I know you already know about this but I haven't seen the video link before now. Here it is, Bono looks and sounds so precious in a message to Christian Festivalgoers about the importance of helping Africa. Please watch and listen to his message!

http://easylink.playstream.com/g1network/bono_high.rm

Yes, I posted this on PLEBA too because he looks hot!;)

I made a transcript of the video clip for those of you who cannot view it (there was one word he said that I couldn't understand though):

"Greetings from a very posh hotel room somewhere in London. Ahh...I don't want to spoil your festival, and you certainly don't need to hear another preacher, but I went to Africa recently, and there's some facts I'd like to share with you. Some of you may know these, some of you may not, but they are still mind-blowing. 25 million people in Africa now have HIV. Think about that...25 million people in Africa are HIV positive. 13 million children are orphans because their parents have died from AIDS. And this figure is expected to double by the end of the decade. Today...this very day...5,500 Africans will die of AIDS. Today...in childbirth...1,400 African mothers will pass on HIV to their newborns. If this isn't an emergency, what is? We're supposed to love our neighbor. The Bible tells us to love our neighbor. Common sense should tell us to love our neighbor. Well, we're not...we really are not. God is not looking for (???), God is looking for action. Africa is America's neighbor. Africa is Europe's neighbor. But I am telling you, we are largely ignoring these people in their condition. There is a growing movement for Jubilee...I love that word...there's a growing movement for Jubilee in the United States. We do need to drop the debt and end the ridiculous situation where today's generations in the poorest countries have to spend what little they have paying back old loans, rather than investing in health and education and in clean water. All rich countries need to increase development assistance to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa. This is not about throwing money away but about using our national wealth to improve the lives of the poorest people in the world. There are 2300...2300...verses of scripture pertaining to the poor. History will judge us on how we deal with this crisis; God will judge us harder on how we deal with this crisis. If we all raise our voices...if we can all raise our politicians from their sleep around the world...and get them to respond, there might be a chance...there really might be a chance. We really need to make this a priority."

Thanks Kat for transcribing that, that was awful sweet of you...it is important that Bono take his message to whoever will listen and will choose to make a difference. We are living in a generation where for the most part, people want to make a difference, but they just don't know how to, or where to begin, and here is Bono presenting an overwhelming challenge for them, but it is almost embarrasing to even call it a challenge, because we are talking about people's lives here, and compassion should dictate here, not chance.

Chris

Bonochick said:
I made a transcript of the video clip for those of you who cannot view it (there was one word he said that I couldn't understand though):

Thank you so much Katherine...you saved me at least half of the time I would spend with it. Now all I have to do is the translation to be posted in local lists. You?re a nice girl. ;)

:up:

That is a very good video! I watched it and was saddened by all of the facts that Bono stated. I am very proud of the work that Bono is doing bc i know that if i was in the position that Bono was in, that i would be doing the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom