MERGED-->How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? + atu2 received 2nd confirmation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There seems to be a sharp edge on the top right. I thought it looked a bit like the standy bit of a bust.

But yeah, the rest of it looks like an egg, or something polite ladies shouldnt discuss but nurses may well bath. :|

lol

It actually looks like the Fat Man & Little Boy bombs used in Japan.

In regards to the size, the image was scaled down when it was first sent to me, so I don't think it's supposed to represent actual size. Also, this is from a DVD sleeve with a few inches of black stretching below the lower text, and about a half-inch of black above the upper text - there's also a small logo at the base of the sleeve, but I'm not sure what it is.

c'ya

HTDAAB_Frntb.jpg

I have butchered the colours to view the image...

Beli!!!!!!! You wouldn't happen to mean..er...um...a ROSEBUD would ya? (Conventional wisdom has it that Citizen Kane's 'rosebud' referred to certain part of Hearst's anatomy. When the REAL schidoo has it that that it actually referred to a teeny tiny bit of Hearst's girlfriend Marion Davies' anatomy.:ohmy: )

All I can think of is this: Woody Guthrie, the origional white music protester, used to perform his shows with a little hand-written sign taped to his guitar: THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS. Dig up any history book illustration of Woody and you'll likely see it. He was just as famous for this sign in his time as he was for his music--it was like the "white flag" of its day, but far more controversial. Woody was controversial. Most of his tunes have been ghettoized down to childrens' music(!!) but tunes such as 'This Land Is Your Land" began their life as angry protest songs--as Springsteen well knows.

I think it is in that spirit of righteous anger the band may be releasing this album. I love how each song on "War" represented a different kind of war, beginning within the broad context of the daily headlines at the time,(SBS) and eventually working down to the level of the war within one's self, and a comeplete surrender of the spirit ("40). From outward to inward. I'm hopeing that;s how the tracks on HTDAAB are arranged as well.

I think also that the "atomic bomb" they are referring to, if this is the title (and how couldn't it be? Look at the pics with the radioactive red and green lighting) is NOT a literal bomb. Though they may be suggesting it could very well end up one of we continue to travel the collective path we are on.

The "atomic bomb" U2 may be referring to may be several different things, working on many levels:

1) The soul-destroying state of fear that hangs about the world right now. This could be as small as your own individual sense of dread as you read the headlines each day--in which case "a song that I can sing in my own company" might be the first most elemental step: a comfort in terrible times. Banishing your own personal sense of fear with the "weapons of mass distraction" as someone so memorably said on here is the first brick to pull out out of the slowly-growing Wall.
It could also be as large as fear on a global level, and singing along won't help that...this is Gandhi's "army of one" argument kicking in to...

2) Ignorance. Of many things. Ignorance of history, of other cultures, even an enemy's ignorance of our strength or weakness. It cuts both ways. But in U2's mind, esp Bono's, ignorance is just as grave a threat as fear. Ignorance may lead to an invasion, a massacre, or just one bloke bashing another over the head. Big things begin small.
I really hope the band has some great couplets in here...

3)Religious fanticism, on both sides. This is what I hope "Yahweh" is about, and it's a topic I don't wish to pursue, as many on here may take offense at the notion that religious fanticism exists on both sides. But sorry to bust your bubble, there are folks in the American gov't who are guilty, guilty, guilty. I, Like Bono, don't buy the pap we are fed and beleive that poverty breeds terrorism. My own ancestry is testamant to this.

The atomic bomb is not the literal bomb, it is a fuse waiting to go off if the mindsets of many different sides and policies go off. And while a musician may not be able to do anything, I am sure Bono has just as much faith in his audience about throwing off the shackles of fear and ignorance and hate (you never know, U2 fans are often found in the strangest places) as he may be to, say, raise $5000 to build wells in Nigeria. One person at a time--that's all an artist can hope for, and it'll be u2 the band here strictly speaking.

I am sure that Woody Gutherie's defenition of fascist didn't just mean Hitler.
And I can imagine the Cd jacket with a disclaimer in the liner notes, figuratively written with invisible ink: THIS MACHINE KILLS TERRORISTS. (Edge should have a sign taped to his guitar saying that, when on tour. Great idea--somebody e-mail the band? I'm sure the average American wouldn't immediately pick up on the ref.)

But being U2, their defenition of "terrorist" is MUCH broader and deeper than the textbook defenition we are thrown. A terrorist in their book is primarily anyone who stifles and destroys the human soul.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
Beli!!!!!!! You wouldn't happen to mean..er...um...a ROSEBUD would ya? (Conventional wisdom has it that Citizen Kane's 'rosebud' referred to certain part of Hearst's anatomy. When the REAL schidoo has it that that it actually referred to a teeny tiny bit of Hearst's girlfriend Marion Davies' anatomy.:ohmy: )

I was under the believe that Rosebud was indeed a reference to Marions : uhoh: I hadnt heard the Hearst theory before. I really must buy that movie on dvd.

Gawd im bored. Anyone else have some pictures they would like me to post?

I'm curious to see if this is the actual album cover. It sure looks cool. It seems very U2ish.

Also, in another thread, there is specualtion on a character by the name of "Dalkey Beach" being an U2 insider. One of his album revelations is that the title "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" has a question mark at the end. "How to dismantle an atomic bomb?" This alleged album cover has the question mark in it.

Yes, mind you Smiley was also in other threads with Dalkey so Smiley could be making images according to what Dalkey says. We wont really know until the real one is released.

Tis fun though.

beli said:
Yes, mind you Smiley was also in other threads with Dalkey so Smiley could be making images according to what Dalkey says. We wont really know until the real one is released.

Tis fun though.

Very astute thinking.
You're right. This is a blast! You know, we'll all be on this site like dogs until the ablum comes out. I'm curious if everyone will still come post-album release.

I thought Dakley said this may not be the album title? I think he said U2 may have come up with something new that hasn't been heard yet!

innocent_eyes said:
I thought Dakley said this may not be the album title? I think he said U2 may have come up with something new that hasn't been heard yet!

Earlier in the thread, Dalkey indicated that the album was HTDAAB with a ?

Yes, thats my recollection also Booster - with a question mark at the end, he said.

Anybody else have Icehouses "Fatman" song stuck in their head now? :mad:

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

All I can think of is this: Woody Guthrie, the origional white music protester, used to perform his shows with a little hand-written sign taped to his guitar: THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS. Dig up any history book illustration of Woody and you'll likely see it. He was just as famous for this sign in his time as he was for his music--it was like the "white flag" of its day, but far more controversial. Woody was controversial. Most of his tunes have been ghettoized down to childrens' music(!!) but tunes such as 'This Land Is Your Land" began their life as angry protest songs--as Springsteen well knows.

I am sure that Woody Gutherie's defenition of fascist didn't just mean Hitler.
And I can imagine the Cd jacket with a disclaimer in the liner notes, figuratively written with invisible ink: THIS MACHINE KILLS TERRORISTS. (Edge should have a sign taped to his guitar saying that, when on tour. Great idea--somebody e-mail the band? I'm sure the average American wouldn't immediately pick up on the ref.)

Woody is one of my hometown heroes, he was tremendously controversial, to the point where his portrait wasn't allowed at our Capitol here in OK, until recently.

this supposed album cover reminds me of the videos from Zoo TV Sydney during "unchained melody' then the explosions into "end of the world" if thats any indication of the power on any tracks of this album, im very happy

atU2.com:

Re: this post from Wednesday, Sept. 8 -- @U2 has received a second confirmation, and from a reliable source, that the album will be called How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Our second source disputes the previous report that there will be a bonus track on the "deluxe" edition of the album. And as far as U2 touring down under, this source says it should happen in December, 2005, or March, 2006.

Dalkey Beach said:
Actually, now that I think of it, anyone with Principle Management that posts on these fan sites likely stand a good chance of getting fired

Not if they work for you!:wink:

Are you a plant by the 'management'?! just to get fans even more hyped about this record? you seem to be doing a good job! Don't really matter to me if your true or not, it's a hell of a lot of fun just reading all this stuff.

I do wish you could tell us when to expect a clip of Vertigo to appear on U2.com!

I haven't read the rest of this thread but if I haven't mentioned yet that I don't like "How to Dismantle ..." as an album title I'd like to rectify that right now

stagman said:
So where is this freekin image???

It was removed at the request of the powers that be. Apparently it wasn't the 'official' cover; rather something along the lines of an early concept, but they still wanted it taken down to avoid any trouble.

Back
Top Bottom