MERGED ----> Have you seen this? + Is This The Most Expensive U2 Item Ever On Ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish I had the money to afford that ... that's just incredible. This would have to be one of, if not the rarest thing to ever surface, wouldn't it?

I saw that last night. :shocked: VERY cool stuff...you've got to love handwritten lyrics...but holy crap, who has $18,000 for something like that??

Maybe all the members of Interference could give a dollar and we could all share it! :wink:

I wonder if U2's label or management know about this...don't the guys own the rights to all of their music? What's id toing on Ebay?

martha said:
That's cool. I want it. I don't think I'd ever be that rich though.

Me too. Seems that anybody can have it for US$ 35.000,00...man, how poor I am, lol...can?t stop staring at those pics since yesterday.

Btw, what?s with that Paul Vox sign? That?s new to me. Did anybody here know about that?

Cheers
MT

Did Bono, Edge AND Adam Clayton write lyrics for Street Mission? Just look at the picture og the lyrics to Street Mission! Larry is not mentioned there - does it mean Adam was a part og it? Now that is something new to me!

U2girl said:
I wonder if U2's label or management know about this...don't the guys own the rights to all of their music? What's id toing on Ebay?

I wondered the same thing myself, U2 girl. I would think, the band or their managment, would have kept this. Unless there is more than one copy, of the handwritten lyrics, documents, etc. floating around.

Anyway, I could never afford to buy it though. I'm a working class, U2 fan.

wow, what an interesting story surrounding that demo and kroq and stuff.

i would just give the demo back to the band.

Is This The Most Expensive U2 Item Ever On Ebay?

I am not the seller or promoting this but it's worth a look.
A rare piece of early U2 history, the seller is only asking $35,000 for it!

Go to ebay & type U2 1ST DEMO

ps. can anyone loan me the cash and i'll pay you back over the next 30 years, thanks.

Last edited:
david said:
wow, what an interesting story surrounding that demo and kroq and stuff.

i would just give the demo back to the band.

I would too.

But I still wonder, how it got away from U2 in the first place. If I were in their band. This is something, I would have definetely kept, as a remeberence.

hmmmmmm- I am very dubious about anything that I see on E-bay, how on earth did this get out of the hands of the band, I wouldn't pay that much money for anything, even if I was mega loaded, now how could you be 100% sure that it was genuine????:eyebrow:

apparently it was originally sent to a dj at kroq, i believe. one thing lead to another and he had to sell it because he'd hit hard times (don't feel too sorry for the guy, it seems him and the band had a falling out soon after they sent him the demo). the guy auctioning it off now bought it at an auction a couple years ago.

he's including letters showing the dj trying to sell it back to the band, unsuccessfully.

Uptdate on the auctioning:

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/2915780?view=Eircomnet

No bidders yet for $18,000 U2 memorabilia

Wednesday, 31st March, 2004

A collection of rare U2 memorabilia, including the band's first demo-tape and lyrics hand-written by Bono, are being sold on the online auction site eBay with a starting price of $18,000.

The seller may have overestimated the allure of the band however, or priced its fans out of the market as the material has been on sale for a week and has yet to attract a single bidder.

The lot is made up of an original demo tape from the band's first recording session; manuscript lyric sheets in Bono's handwriting and a set of contact proofs for an early promotional photo shoot.

U2 are aware the auction is taking place but are unconcerned and unprepared to bid for the memorabilia. "I've seen it on the site and it's clearly genuine," U2 manager Paul McGuinness told ireland.com this afternoon.

"Someone can buy the tape but they can't release anything from it without the band's permission," he added. Permission will not be forthcoming as, by McGuinness's own admission, the recordings are "pretty rough".

The lyrics are signed Paul Vox, a less-than-snappy moniker the eBay seller says Bono briefly toyed with, before switching to the stagename he made famous.

This "fact" is so little-known that the band's manager wasn't aware of it. "I didn't know he went under that name. I don't remember him going around calling himself Paul Vox and as far as I can tell it's not his signature on the lyrics."

The band's first official demo was done on November 1st, 1978, according to the eBay documentation (McGuinness recalls it being later) with Barry Devlin of Horslips as engineer. U2 recorded three tracks, Street Missions, Shadows and Tall Trees, and The Fool.

With these demos in hand, McGuinness tried, and failed, to attract interest from several London-based record labels. He returned to Dublin and the band signed to CBS Ireland before eventually being picked up by Island Records in 1980.

According to the eBay seller, the items "come with significant supporting documents outlining their history".

McGuinness says he gave the tapes to an American who, while living in Dublin, dangled the promise of record deals in front of both U2 and the Virgin Prunes. U2 never signed, the Virgin Prunes did - no deal materialised.

The tapes and the lyrics changed hands a number of times before making their way to a West Coast radio promoter who, strapped for cash, pawned them. When he retrieved the tapes in the early 90s he tried without success to sell them to the band's record label Island for $35,000.

The collection found its way into Bonhams & Butterfields Auctioneers in LA in June of last year, where the current owner bought them with a view to "keeping these for posterity".

It appears that posterity has a price, however, and the material is going under the virtual hammer. No bids have yet been recorded and the auction closes in just over four days.

Cheers
MT

I wonder if it is the same contract demos that are available on bootleg. Demos of all three songs are readily available. If it is the same, I think it devalues it quite a bit. If they are demo versions that have never surfaced, then its obviously more valuable. The other part is you would need a reel to reel player to be able to listen to it or convert it to CD. It is a cool item, but I think its a bit overpriced. It says right on the cover it is a copy, not the master. U2 obviously has the master tapes. Why would they bid on a copy?

Last edited:
I agree with McGuinness I don't think the signatures are of the band members....
I think someone else wrote that on the documents and they just didn't have a clue and probably thought Bono's name was Paul Vox. I've met people that thought his name was Bono Vox with Vox being his real last name. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom