MERGED ----> great news from ITUNES!!!! + Live Shows On Your iPod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
great news from ITUNES!!!!

just read this from atu2.com and bono is quoted as saying the following

"We will do a commercial with Apple for our album, and no money will change hands, which is important, because we have been offered boatloads of money from many other people. But we will make an Apple commercial that's as good as any video. And next year, you will be able to go to a U2 show and download the concert onto your iPod. We're going to make a digital box set, where you can get every U2 album and every U2 B-side and every U2 lyric, all at once. We want to do this because we like their company."

Brill!!!!! download concert which are gonna be soundboard quality!!! loving U2 just gets better and better!

Thank god, I love how Pearl Jam treat their fans. They give them the chance to give their fans a great rendition of them being there and releasing a good product afterwords. In my opinion every concert should be an official release. It's a great keep sake without the middle man.

Okay..... now I may have to actually break down and buy an iPod.

:sigh: That means I will need a new computer since mine is a pile of :censored: from '99, then I'll have to upgrade from dial up to dsl or cable.

:hmm: *thinks of a second job*

Damn, why didn't I buy an iPod instead of a Creative jukebox... :mad: ;)

Still, sounds great! I love the idea of being able to hear a high-quality recording of a concert you went to.

iTunes is a separate product from the iPod. They go nicely together, but by no means do you need an iPod to listen to songs bought from iTunes.

macphister said:
iTunes is a separate product from the iPod. They go nicely together, but by no means do you need an iPod to listen to songs bought from iTunes.

*feels a bit stupid* ;) Thanks, quite a relief... :lol:

To actually see the concert you would need one of the other ipods not the regular ipods.

Apple came out with the picture ipod too which I believe enables you to download movies and watch them.

This is not on the u2ipod. So start saving up because you will need another ipod to download concerts.

Sorry. I watched a lot of the apple thing where U2 was on before I realized that they weren't on until 43 minutes later.

MrBrau1 said:

You can use Itunes to buy from the store, play them on your computer, and burn a cd to play on standard CD players.

Yeah, thanks. :) I'm not all that familiar with leagal downloading yet... ;)

I don't think the picture iPod shows movies, just regular static photos.

Finally, the day of U2's concerts being widely available is coming upon us. I've been waiting over 15 years for something like this!
:D

youtwohearts said:
To actually see the concert you would need one of the other ipods not the regular ipods.

Apple came out with the picture ipod too which I believe enables you to download movies and watch them.

This is not on the u2ipod. So start saving up because you will need another ipod to download concerts.

Sorry. I watched a lot of the apple thing where U2 was on before I realized that they weren't on until 43 minutes later.

You don't need a different ipod. All ipods can download music (U2 ipod, ipod mini etc etc). In fact, the U2 ipod is only 'different' aesthetically. Its inner-workings are just like a regular 4th gen iPod. If you can download music from the music store (and all generation iPods can), you can download the concerts. Just want to let people know it's all gonna be ok.

By the way - yes you can use iTunes and have another mp3 player, but its going to be frustrating and hard. iTunes encodes all of its songs in AAC format, which is a format unique to apple. No other company has the technology in their players to play aac. So if you bought a song/album off iTunes, you'd have to convert the song from aac to anonther format (like mp3), and then use a program OTHER than iTunes to transfer that newly-encoded song onto your player. A bit of a hassle, and that's exactly what apple wants.

Apple makes 7 cents a song off iTunes. They made iTunes to sell iPods. That's where they make their cash.

-Miggy

Yeah, you woudn't HAVE to buy an ipod but it sure is nice having every U2 song I own (plus every other song I own) in my pocket. When HTDAAB is released next week, it will be the first time I've touched a CD in more than a year.

The donloadable concert idea is brilliant. I'm sure you'll be able to dl individual songs too, so that you can compile sort of a mega-concert with all the different songs you want.

Miggy D said:

By the way - yes you can use iTunes and have another mp3 player, but its going to be frustrating and hard. iTunes encodes all of its songs in AAC format, which is a format unique to apple. No other company has the technology in their players to play aac. So if you bought a song/album off iTunes, you'd have to convert the song from aac to anonther format (like mp3), and then use a program OTHER than iTunes to transfer that newly-encoded song onto your player. A bit of a hassle, and that's exactly what apple wants.

Apple makes 7 cents a song off iTunes. They made iTunes to sell iPods. That's where they make their cash.

-Miggy

Hmm... Thanks for the info. Sounds a bit tricky, but I suppose I'll figure it out when the time comes. Lack of motivation won't be a problem at least... ;)

I know there are AAC to MP3 converters that make it easy.

I can't wait to see the quality of these recordings and if they make every single performance available.

Did they say how much they're charging per show?

The great thing about itunes is once you buy it you can burn it to a cd legally as many times as you want... my friends getting the 400 box set and i'm planning on the songs i want on a cd the next day... same with the concerts

learn2kneel said:
The great thing about itunes is once you buy it you can burn it to a cd legally as many times as you want... my friends getting the 400 box set and i'm planning on the songs i want on a cd the next day... same with the concerts

Actually, not true. Apple restricts the number of CD burns on copyright protected materials (like those you purchase off iTunes) to 7. So your friend can burn that Box Set 7 times.

The trick though, it only applies to unique playlists. So I'm pretty sure if your friend took out one song and swapped another, he could then re-burn 7 more times, and so on. You just couldn't burn the same tracklist more than 7 times (if the material was bought off iTunes.

Has anyone heard whether the iTMS release of HTDAAB will include Fast Cars?

Flying FuManchu said:
Hmmmmm... something extremely positive from the U2 IPOD venture... if U2 actually goes through with using different setlists every night then it will be an even better deal.

If U2 were to do this for every show then they'll have to shake up the setlist. It would make more sense for them and the fans.

1. It would mean more downloads for U2, which means more $$$.

2. It would be great for the fans to download rare songs.

It would be a win win situation for U2 and the fans. Can you imagine checking out U2's setlist the next morning after a show and seeing they played "Mofo", "Red Hill Mining Town", or "Unforgettable Fire". U2 fans would be going crazy downloading shows for a few bucks.

I think U2 will post their shows on Itunes for fans to download, but am wondering if they'll do every show. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Live shows on your IPod?

I don't know if this has been covered already--I did a quick scan and didn't see anything--but Bono is now quoted as saying that U2 shows are gonna be available for download on your IPod!

From @U2:

NEW @U2 READY ... SET ... DOWNLOAD
November 16, 2004
posted by: m2
In the December issue of SPIN magazine, Bono says U2 and Apple will team up next year to allow fans to download concerts after U2 shows. Here's the full quote of Bono discussing the U2-Apple relationship:

"We will do a commercial with Apple for our album, and no money will change hands, which is important, because we have been offered boatloads of money from many other people. But we will make an Apple commercial that's as good as any video. And next year, you will be able to go to a U2 show and download the concert onto your iPod. We're going to make a digital box set, where you can get every U2 album and every U2 B-side and every U2 lyric, all at once. We want to do this because we like their company."

:combust:

Last edited:
Vertigo Fly said:
Will you still be able to download and play them if you don't have an Ipod?

Yes, this is really about itunes (not the ipod)..you'll be able to download the concerts via itunes onto your computer and then do what you want....download to your ipod, burn to a cd etc.

That would be really really great.....something Pearl Jam did before...The difference was that PJ released a real CD of each concert....Doing it digitally must be much easier.....and cheaper????

Really like the idea that you can download the concert the week after you went to it...

Back
Top Bottom