MERGED ----> great news from ITUNES!!!! + Live Shows On Your iPod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hope this happens. I think its a great idea to release the live shows. There are so many shit bootlegs out there right now...they just dont do the band any justice, and i hate the fact that U2 sees none of that cash for their work.

What about for video? Wopuld this be available as a video? aren't most concerts taped in some way, shape, or form, or only when people bring in their own euipment? Are then only some recorded by pros

Its great news and potentially disappointing news IMO. Having a soundboard available of every single show is awesome. My problem is with I Tunes. I'm not real familiar with it but from what I have heard its a lossy format like MP3. Hopefully U2 will do like Metallica and offer an MP3 download and a FLAC download option of each show. I think it would be a good idea for them to also offer up a CD so fans that have dial up or dont have computer access can also purchase the show they attended. There are several artists that offer all 3 options. If that is done its a dream come true for me personally!

For those of you saying that the show you attended should be included with the ticket you are dreaming (hopefully you were kidding anyway). I dont think all the fans at the Boston 2001 show or Slane show got free copies of those shows??!!

Also regarding the difficulty of them doing this. U2 have been recording every single show since the War tour. They have been digitally recording every show since Zoo. They are just going to offer them to fans now and I say its about time!

U2 also films every single show and have done so since Zoo. But I dont believe pro shot video downloads of next years concerts are going to be offered up here. In fact I would be shocked if they were. Thats what a DVD release after the tour is for.

Last edited:
Mark Freedman said:
Did they say how much each show would cost?

This isn't actually official. Steve Jobs mentioned it, and Bono is quoted in Spin.

Somehow I would have felt better if Edge had been the one quoted.:|

iPods, ANY ipods, all play the same files:
mp3
aac (unprotected or protected. protected is sold at the itunes music store only. protected files ONLY play on itunes or an ipod.)
wav
aiff
audible.com files
Apple Loseless Encoding

Any of those formats can be burned in itunes to a CD (which can then be played anywhere).

NO ipod plays only certain kinds of tracks. They all share compatiblity across the board. I am sure the concerts U2 release will be protected AAC, meaning they cna play on iTunes, an iPod, or can be burned to a CD.

Notably, even protected AAC can be put on an unlimited number of ipods. If you manually manage the iPod tracks, an iPod can be plugged into a computer w/itunes on it and even protected tracks cna be put in the ipod for the owner to listen to. Protected AAC (from Apple) can be put on 3 computers at a time as well. The downside to the unlimited ipods is that if you "auto-sync" the ipod, itunes will erase any songs in the ipod's library if they aren't in the iTunes library it is being synced to. (With autosync, iTunes makes the ipod and itunes have the exact same active library and playlists. Handy, but can be a problem in a situation like the one described above.)

I'm an apple guru. Feel free to direct any further questions about iTunes/iPods to me if you're new to the digital music revolution. I think Apple's about to revolutionize music distribution with this "The Complete U2" box set, but that's a topic for another post. I think after we see what's on THAT, the new album will be the 2nd most exciting release on the 23rd.

Blue Room said:
I think it would be a good idea for them to also offer up a CD so fans that have dial up or dont have computer access can also purchase the show they attended.

Also not all fans will scrape up the money for Ipods. I prefer just going the CD route, of ALL shows from the tour in CD stores at a good price, like Pearl Jam did.

Now what would make me happy is if the conert tonight made it to itunes tomorrow - not gonna happen but would be a cool way to start

Back
Top Bottom