MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Grammys thoughts thread...

Amazing that U2 won album of the year, I thought they wouldn't give it to him.

I think the critics really love U2.

Vertigo wins, Sometimes... wins, I wish CBOL did, but can't win them all can you?

I'm gonna say Sometimes... sticks around for a few more tours. Elevation and Beautiful Day has so far!

Re: Grammys thoughts thread...

theu2fly said:
Amazing that U2 won album of the year, I thought they wouldn't give it to him.

I think the critics really love U2.

Vertigo wins, Sometimes... wins, I wish CBOL did, but can't win them all can you?

I'm gonna say Sometimes... sticks around for a few more tours. Elevation and Beautiful Day has so far!

COBL did win.

Seriously.... This is a great day for U2. HTDAAB deserves it IS a great album and is about time that the U2 fans acknowlege it.

Great night for our boys!

I thought Bono's performance on One was a bit off, in fact I said it was "terrible" and my friend said "but I thought you love him?" and I said "yeah, so I can tell when it's not sounding good". Luckily, she said it sounded good to her and she has no interest in U2 whatsoever. I like how MJB performs the song, but maybe it would be better if she did it alone. I feel like it would've been just as good without U2 :reject:

Some interesting comments made by Bono in the first acceptance speech, but very sincere nonetheless. The circus reference was a little hard to follow there for a moment. :scratch: Anyone want to give it a shot at explaining the elephant dung reference? Anywho... still just love Bono and the band. When looking at their music and lyrics there is just nobody to compare them with in my book.

I loved the Edge's acceptance speech, so sincere too! And watching him play with Dr. John and all the others at the end for New Orleans musicians, WOW. You could see he was just beaming!

Adam SPOKE!!!! yeah........i'm still trying to get over that one!! That was amazing! And then it seems to me Larry got cut off!! How could they!!!! :madspit:

CONGRATS U2!!! You keep rocking the world, and certainly rock mine!! Can't wait to hear what's coming next. Your music inspires me every day.

Last edited:
tuwie said:
ooo i didnt know that! does that count under U2's total grammy winnings count? or is that just for steve? but YAYY! =)

i think its just for steve... by the way, was the vertigo music video award (last year) also not counted under u2's total count?

great night overall. I'm glad u2 won, didnt expect them to sweep like that, but thought they didn't have that tough competition.

Last year I kind of wanted Green Day to win as their album was great, or new bands like Killers or Franz F. get some hype, but this year was great.

As I agree that band was a little off, I think people will regard their's as one of the best of the night. M. Blige was incredible and very emotional, great great voice. Seeing her just get so into the song like that gave me chills...

wasnt really in love with Lillywhite's production on HTDAAB, so I can't say I care that he won....

any videos of tonights events up?

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:

i think its just for steve... by the way, was the vertigo music video award (last year) also not counted under u2's total count?

No it was, U2 were the performers in the video and did have a small hand in its production from what I have seen of the making of the video.:wink:

What a great night for the boys, I'm so happy for them.
Sadly, many people is not happy and the opinions all over the web are not so good, the big part of the people is calling the Grammy's "the U2 awards" and a big joke. :mad:

I think this is a good sign for U2 fans. I think this cements the fact that U2 are on top of the mainstream, so now they can use that power to fuck up the mainstream once again.

Soldatti said:
What a great night for the boys, I'm so happy for them.
Sadly, many people is not happy and the opinions all over the web are not so good, the big part of the people is calling the Grammy's "the U2 awards" and a big joke. :mad:

Through out U2's career, they have been bashed by many other people because of their massive popularity and success. When your as big and successful as U2 has been, the top band in the world for 19 years now, your naturally a target for many people.

i get a lot from my friends for loving u2 so much. in the end, I like it. I don't want to like a band which everyone kisses their ass.

bring on the haters

I can't believe U2 won 5 Grammy's tonight!!! The most shocking was Album Of The Year!!!! This proves that they will be around for a long time still. Very disrespectfull for cutting the speeches short Mr. Grammy President. Thank You U2 and congratulations!!!

I don't know. I'm surprised it won all those awards (then again I didn't even know the grammy's were on tonight..much less the competition they were up against.) I mean I love U2 and all (else I wouldn't be here), but I feel this is one of their weaker albums and I think that while Vertigo can be a fun song..it's nothing spectacular. Neither is COBL or Sometimes (especially "Sometimes" which I just view as another "Stuck in a moment.."). I'm also really surprised they got album of the year.

Don't get me wrong. I love mah boys and I'm glad they're getting all this EXTRA exposure. It's just that I didn't think that the album or any song off of it (except "Love and Peace") are really Grammy worthy. Nonetheless...good job guys!

Most people won't like them, but here are my thoughts on the Grammy's as they relate to U2:

1) Worst performance of One ever. Just awful. And it had nothing to do with Mary J. Blige.
2) Bono's incoherent rants are getting longer and making less sense. When he's on, he's on, but when he's off...
3) HTDAAB is not a great album but the competition was weak, so why not give it to them?
4) I am happy they won, but I fear the inevitable backlash.

1) one was decent, MJB made it great
2) i think its just a bit of stage fright, he said the same things that he always says (sometimes about his father, etc), most of it made sense to me
3) well HTDAAB was the best album of 2005, so yeah, give it to them
4) on another forum i frequent, they were really giving it to u2, calling them sellouts and all, but i think they were just jealous

1. I wanted a full performance of Vertigo, but atleast to hear Vertigo was good. One was unexpected

2. Bono's speeches didn't make much sense, but good to hear him speak. They [the band] didn't really have much to say.

3. It was great to see them win all their awards, just goes to show that U2 is the biggest band in the world.

4. Bomb is a great album, really strong songs. Almost better material than ATYCLB.

5. Bono's hair was longer and it looked awesome!

doubleU said:
I think this is a good sign for U2 fans. I think this cements the fact that U2 are on top of the mainstream, so now they can use that power to fuck up the mainstream once again.

:hyper: Yes. It is time once again.

1. Vertigo rocked, Bono sounded great

2. One sucked because Mary J. Blige ruined it. How is Bono supposed to sing when that crazy woman is screaming and waving her fist in every which direction??

3. Bomb deserved every award it got, it is a great album by far the best nominated.

4. Paul Mccartney rocked

5. Ellen Degenerous was hilarious w/ "this next performer needs no introduction" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom