MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!! - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude

I love you man.

Hallo, alter Freund! Der Hamster lebt noch!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:25 AM
we need all these videos

Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by babyman

Hallo, alter Freund! Der Hamster lebt noch!

Hallo mein Mann! !!!!!

Ich wundere mich, wenn der Hamster irgendeine Auszeichnungen nächste Zeit herum gewinnen wird.

Although I doubt it.

Also I don't think that hijacking such a high profile thread with German would go down too well.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree that "One" was amazing. No, it wasn't exactly totally on key or anything, but Mary J. Blige's vocals were incredible.

This will be regarded as on of the top performances by the casual fan.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 PM
^ThAt would be The Challenge!

But, no.....no......, better no............cool grammy cool

Old 02-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by jacobus
the grammy awards are just ridiculous...IMO U2 won't deserve any award this year.
SYCMIOYO - wtf why choose this cheesy song as winner? i can't stand it.
ALBUM OF THE YEAR and ROCK(!) ALBUM OF THE YEAR for such a lukewarm album i just can't get it. what a waste. there is much more better and more interesting music around on the blue planet.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #97
War Child

Local Time: 06:25 AM
ooh, I'm glad I'm missing any "hate" about the One performance on the grammys...
I thought it was very powerful....
Mary takes it somewhere else, and I can see where some 'purists' or people who don't stand for Edge's solo being sung over would not like it, but it changes interestingly as a duet, and with the way she attacks the song. When I saw her do it with them at the katrina thing it had a quieter version of the same vibe as last night, but it becomes so much more a 'lament' of sorts, and a deep pleading quality, both because of the two voices instead of one, and because of who she is and how she sings..
I really like it and how this collaboration doesn't feel like just a variation on performing One so that it feels 'fresh' or something, but how it has something different to say. I love One, and I think that this particular spin on it highlights how profound it is as a song, that it can feel to me at once transformed and solidly the same.
and yeah, her vocals ended up a little straying at a point or two, but that's the risk you run when you pour so much out as she did, and I think the payoff was great....

cheers all!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #98
War Child

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Did anyone think it was funny when Bono said elephant "dirt"? It was like he was planning on saying "shit", caught himself, and then said the first word that was remotely related.

Anyway...I had a laugh.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

People end up hating things that are change.....U2 changed the way they sing that song....It was a sure fire way to get "ONE" in there in reference to the campaign....And less not we forget that they have played this song before in concert, and also have rehearsed so Bono knew what he was getting himself into...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #100
Refugee

Local Time: 08:55 PM

I'm just so jealous of you all - i've been on here on and off all day to check out what's been happening with the grammys - they arent on tv here in oz until tomorrow night - i guess the channel that has the rights here didn't want to compete with 'Lost' tonight - oh well, will have the dvd recorder ready tomorrow night
Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #101
War Child

Local Time: 10:25 AM
And don't forget OOTS, two more grammys in 2007
Old 02-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #102
War Child

I was sooo excited to see all those U2 wins last night! I was jumping and hooting like a little girl, it was so much fun!
I gotta admit I wasn't very surprised about rock album or even song, but album of the year was such a jolt!
I thought they totally deserved to get it, but I was still surprised when it happened...

And I gotta say I take back my earlier comments on a now-closed Grammy thread, mostly directed at and attempting to address respectfully, ozeeko's negative comments about "Sometimes"...it *is* a brilliant piece of songwriting, right up there with others of U2's best...(skulks off to find a thread where she can work out her feelings about it...)

cheers all!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

modesty from Kanye:

[q]Another major shocker: In an interview backstage, West came on all humble about having lost album of the year. "It's all good. Because U2, those are my boys right there," said West, dapper as always in a lavender Yves Saint-Laurent suit and white leather gloves. "U2 deserves it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020802027.html
[/q]
Old 02-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

I was hoping the whole time, but right before Album of the Year when they announced Steve Lillywhite as Producer of the Year, it was all over.

Great job.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #105
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
Did anyone think it was funny when Bono said elephant "dirt"? It was like he was planning on saying "shit", caught himself, and then said the first word that was remotely related.

Anyway...I had a laugh.
I had a laugh too, but I thought it was totally 'planned' that he'd say 'dirt' and never was really in any danger of getting himself into another chapter of the "bono-rule" discussion by saying 'shit' and having the FCC or censors decide whether he meant that as a 'noun' or an 'adverb'....
Happily I should have the thing taped so I can watch again...I felt a bit cheated not getting to hear Bono 'cuss', but I loved how the ridiculousness of his having to actually say 'elephant dirt' instead of 'shit' highlighted the censorship crap, as it were, whether it was on purpose or not.

And I just wanted to add the thought that the boys looked fucking fantastic didn't they?!
Bono looked especially rested and lovely...though they seemed a bit somber somehow too, certainly not like they'd been doing much pre-show partying anyway...

cheers!