MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!! - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Wow---as if this thread hadn't gotten stupid to start with....in the last few pages, it reall has. oh well.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #197
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020802027.html

U2 Plus Five Is No. 1

Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020802027.html

U2 Plus Five Is No. 1

Funniest part about that article is the caption underneath the picture------they mistake Adam for Larry!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:09 AM
U2 have lost enough Grammys good to see the Grammy comittee making up for it on the last 2 albums, the reality is U2 is judged on a different level then the rest of the competition, and as long as they keep making albums that are great they can and will continue knocking at Grammy's door and winning some and losing some...just give yourself enough chances to win and you will win.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #200
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I think we're all in need of some serious perspective. Are the Grammys a barometer for all that is superior in music? No. Is it an honor to be recognized by your peers in the industry for your work? Yes. I don't understand why Larry or anyone else in the band being moved by the awards is shallow or wrongheaded. It's a nice gesture. There's no reason to spit in the face of the recording industry, however many douchebags may propagate the business. That's a move for people like the Sex Pistols, because that's ALL they have.

I'm sure U2 realizes that the award isn't always justified--they know Achtung Baby was a superior work to Eric Clapton's ACOUSTIC RERECORDING OF HIS OWN PREVIOUS MATERIAL. They know Automatic for the People and Out of Time are better than the fucking Bodyguard Soundtrack and Natalie Cole doing duets of old songs with her dead father. But that's just how it is.

Having said that, Bob Dylan won for Time Out of Mind. Some may have given it to OK Computer, but Dylan's album is a masterpiece. Lauryn Hill richly deserved her award. So did Fleetwood Mac for Rumours. OutKast's award was a welcome surprise, and the same album was voted best of the year by the largest critic's poll of the country. And U2 won for The Joshua Tree. Stevie Wonder's domination in the early 70's was understandable given his genius output. Go look at the list of winners through the years and you'll see more gems than clunkers, I assure you. To claim that the NARAS voters are a bunch of fools with terrible taste is such a foolish remark. Everyone has their own reasons for voting the way they do, and music is subjective. Sometimes they make you go "huh?" and sometimes they make what appears to be a wise decision. Just like all of us.

Once again, in 20 years The Bomb will more than live up to its title of Best Album of the Year. What it lacks in excitement and innovation it makes up for in depth and humanity, and that's something that people looking back won't have such difficulty recognizing.
best post in this thread!

I'm surprised at how negative everyone is. The number of people attacking the "blind followers" seem to greatly outnumber any real "blind followers." Look, just because someone actually liked U2's performance (I found it to be mediocre by U2 standards, but not terrible) or felt they deserved every award they got does not make them a "blind follower." Some people here just happen to, y'know, actually like U2. I'm all for criticism and different opinions, but some people here are nothing but negative about U2, which is just as bad if not worse than someone who just worships the band. The fact that people are getting upset with people that are happy that U2 won is absurd. This is a U2 fansite, of course people are gonna be happy U2 won, and as far as I'm concerned, they deserved it. Are the Grammy's a huge deal? No, and they don't always pick the right people, but I'm happy U2 won anyway, it is an honor.

Italics, people. Italics.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

It is still subjective cause you say Bach is better than Kelly Clarkson, I think Bach is better than Kelly Clarkson, but a 13 yr old girl may think Kelly Clarkson is better than Bach, therefore it is still subjective. We can't measure what or why people like what they like. There are many factors involved like appearance of the performer, the importance of songwriting by the performer to the listener, the complexity of the music or are they looking for a good hook, how many awards they or how many times they have been arrested, some people like music of certain artists because they project a certain image about the listener and so on.

I don't like country music but millions do, am I wrong or are they wrong, neither. People's individual tastes are just that, and as long as it makes people happy, that's all that matters.

ETA I think Nickleback is bad too.
The hole in your argument is this: Kelly Clarkson, and her kind, are not musical tastes that just arrive in the wind organically; they’re force-fed into the minds of 13-year-olds by hulking corporations. It’s not subjective, it’s targeted bombardment of brain cells for pure profit.

Let’s travel back in time for a second for purposes of clarity. When U2 speak of their failings with POP, it is about record sales, yes, but it’s also about not doing battle with the disposable crap like they thought they could. They wanted to take on the commercial monster and beat it at their own game. Why? I think it was to get big ideas across to as many people as possible through the portal we call popular culture. At heart, they wanted to transcend the boundaries and limits of crass consumerism.

With the five Grammy awards last night, they’ve accomplished their mission. They’re everywhere. Bono is on the cover of Time. The ideas are getting across, and U2 is competing—and even bettering—the likes of Mariah Carrey, Clarkson, and other corporate drivel.

But what about the music? Yes, the originality has suffered, there’s no doubt. Bomb is good, but not great. They’ve made their way to the award shows by design, and through a quest to mean something in a fickle world. U2 are a sociologist’s dream.

Musically, they’ve now got the power to "dream it up all over again", and take millions of new listeners with them—if they dare to.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #202
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Because, frankly, it isn't.

Bach is objectively better than Kelly Clarkson, to use an admittedly extreme example.

But that's a different debate.

LOL, on this forum and probably from the mouths of many Interferencers, Bach would be too musically complex and lack soul b/c of his musical complexity. He wouldn't be too minimal enough therefore he will be labeled the suck. Bad example... LOL!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #203
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:09 PM
"People Got The Power" (hearing that snippet from 'Bad' in my head...)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

best post in this thread!
yup.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
"People Got The Power" (hearing that snippet from 'Bad' in my head...)
and now it's stuck in mine! Thanks, Lila
Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #206
New Yorker

Personally, I used to think the Grammys were worthless too but over time, I've come to accept their existence and see their importance in that its basically a vote coming from people associated with making music (U2's peers) such as engineers, sound people, studio musician types, producers, etc... To be voted in by them would be a great honor if I was in a band and nominated/ won a Grammy. Also its a night in which pretty much ALL styles of music are honored or given a bit of a spotlight. Would never ever have heard Nnenneh Freelon if not for the Grammys. So in the end, I can see HOW or WHY U2 might feel the Grammys are important. Also if you win a Grammy, your album sales go up and U2 loves that kind of "Grammy benefit."

Also I think, the fact that the Grammys have a significant legacy/ history in music as opposed to say the Blockbuster Awards, plays a part as well.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Also I think, the fact that the Grammys have a significant legacy/ history in music as opposed to say the Blockbuster Awards, plays a part as well.
Hey, just don't knock the Teen People Awards!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:09 AM
The sad thing is that the best U2 albums get the cold shoulder and the worst ones get awards.

The worst U2 albums are better than anything at the Grammies mind you.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #209
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Bono said he thinks Nickleback is bad.

WTF... Bono said Nickelback is GOOD essentially. Don't make me pull out the transcript.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #210
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

Hey, just don't knock the Teen People Awards!

I respect Teen People b/c as Scary Spice used to say back in the day... children/ kids have the best taste in music b/c they their perspective isn't littered with bullshit self-importance or something to that nature. They have an innocence to their tastes.

LOL