MERGED--->Gone new mix now available + Gone - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Gone new mix now available

The gone new mix is now available from a link at U2log.com

It's the quicktime file from U2.com, that's not ever posted on the u2.com yet! (i think).

Could anyone quickly encode the quicktime file to mp3 incase the link goes down?

Old 10-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
The Fly

BTW, I'm SOO GLAD U2 left in Edge's Air siren guitar wail in the new mix of Gone.

This version sounds just like the live version (as expected) minus the extended guitar build up at the end and the falsetto Bono sometimes adds during the bridge of the song.

I need more listens to form a solid opinion, but i think i'll end up liking this mix the best out of all the new mixes.

Old 10-22-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 AM

Excellent. Sounds like the live arrangement. Not better than the original, but different. Muy bueno! Who was complaining about U2 not making ROCK songs anymore?
Old 10-22-2002, 01:57 PM   #4
Gunslinger

Local Time: 04:20 AM

This is exactly what I expected with the remix... and that is a good thing! Not that the original was poor, but the remix allows the other instruments to shine a little more. The siren doesn't over power it when you crank it up.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:20 AM
far and away the best of the new mixes that have been heard so far. this sounds amzing! I loved the song from the first time i heard it, but this takes it to a new level. Just incredible.

Peace.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:17 PM   #6
The Fly

Very good! Definitely a new vocal take from ol' Bono too. The guitars sound a lot better to me. Does anyone else wonder if they remixed the whole POP album and will releases these remixes eventually?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
The Fly

I'd have to say that so far I still like the original better. Actually, the only remix so far that I liked better than the original was the SATS remix. I am very attached to POP and the mixing job done. I thought it was very good the first time around. All of these new mixes are very stripped down compared to their original counterparts. I find that SATS needed that, but Gone and Discotheque did not. One thing I like about this new Gone mix is the breakdown near the end. I think that part is improved fromt he original. Overall I'm glad we're getting these new mixes, but the originals are still tops for me.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM   #8
Acrobat

Nice!

S**t yeah!

More like the live version!

-Mike
Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I've only listened once, but I have to say this never version is damn SEXY! It RAAAWWKS, in the true sense. I think it's been given a new life, and the rythem really stand out, now (I think it's the rythem guitar). Yeah, this has to be the best flat out rock song by U2 since HMTKKMKM.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Interesting...no keyboards, but Edge back-up on the second chorus. Definitely a different vocal take. It's nothing on the original version, but I like it for variety.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:37 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Interesting...no keyboards, but Edge back-up on the second chorus. Definitely a different vocal take. It's nothing on the original version, but I like it for variety.
How can you say its"nothing on the original"????? Its at LEAST on a par with the POP version, and most probably better!
Old 10-22-2002, 02:59 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Does anyone have an MP3 version or an alternate link because the link on U2 log ain't working for me?
Old 10-22-2002, 03:11 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua_Tree_Hugger
Does anyone have an MP3 version or an alternate link because the link on U2 log ain't working for me?
Well, did you click on the second bold printed link? There are two, and it's the second one, which says, here's Gone.

You might actually find it at U2.com, as well, because when you download it, it says, "U2.com..." and then the song starts.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:22 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

For those of you who don't have quicktime but do have media player (like me), there's actually a link to the window's media file of the song at the website that u2log got the quicktime file from...if that made any sense:

http://www.u2.com//mediaplayer/best9000_18_g0n3.wma

I haven't listened to it since I'm at work, so I don't even know if the link words, but I figured this would help out at least some people.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:24 PM   #15
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Fuck yeah!

This almost makes up for the butchering of discotheque.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

I am relieved...

I heard the Discothèque remix and it seemed ok...and then I noticed somethign vitally missing. Our beloved Boom-Chas were gone(R.I.P. ). I tried to keep my hopes up for the Best Of up to that moment, but after (not) hearing the Boom-Cha scandal, I was convinced then that the Best Of had been taken down a great notch. Thankfully my heart has been lifted by this ass-kickin' remix of Gone. I adore the original (which is probably tied for first with Please as my best POP song, which happens to be my second favorite album as well). This is even better than the original. This is glorious. This is sacred. This is Even Better Than The Real Thing. ( )

I love U2.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:46 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Best news ever! This put a big smile in my face...damn, I´m at work and I can only listen to the song at really low volume, but it sounds great, really.

A big big thank you, nice fellow that put the link to the windows media file!

Can´t wait to get home and really LISTEN to this new Gone!
Old 10-22-2002, 04:56 PM   #18
The Fly

This is the first new mix that doesn't sound completely bare bones. It's a good balance of the bells & whistles of the original and the instrumentation of the song that the band wants to emphasize.

At first I though the new vocal track lost some of the sense of urgency and desperate that was so well delivered in the original mix. But after several listens of the new mix i realized that it was still there, just emphasize during different parts of the song.

Just imagine what the new mix will sound like when we get a better quality version.

Overall i would say its equal to the original mix, which IMHO is a great accomplishment.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:29 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:20 AM

I dunno

I like the original.

I liked the 'noise' of the original.

This seems a bit too remixed, orchestrated, I dunno

Too much piano, Bono's voice sounds too controlled.

That is 0/2 for me as I do not like the Discotheque re either...

I am not even a huge fan of pop, and I hated Discotehque for a long time, but still think the originals were better, even if rawer and not 'complete'
Old 10-22-2002, 05:51 PM   #20
The Fly

I think the original "Gone" was good, but it seemed a bit clunky, whereas this version seems to emphasise the right instruments more and flows better.