MERGED --> Get better Sian + Look at u2mp3s.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corner said:

Do you really think U2 were restricted to the following 2 options, in getting the message accross to us:

1) Tell one fan about Edge's daughter and make cryptic references during Grammy's
OR
2) Splash all the gory details of Sian into the public arena, through inappropriate and intrusive statements.

If there had been a family illness (which I don't discount) and if U2 had WANTED us to know about it...they would have - as simple as that.

I might be more inclined to agree with you but since U2.com has never been known for giving fans accurate updates in a timely manner, I trust this "Melissa".

corner said:
:| To be honest, I didn't really intend to make a big deal out of this Sharky. I guess what it boils down to, is being cynical about the validity of Melissa and her chat with Bono.

Who cares if it's true or not? The comments made at the Grammy's were enough for anyone with any common sense to add 2 + 2.

It's also very clear that Edge wants NO public discussion, acknowledgement or speculation (understandably) around his family regardless of the impact on U2 business. It is simply NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

They have taken ownership of the mess, apologized and done all they can to fix it. But they will NOT explain it in a fomal announcement as it opens the media door and infringes into private territory.

So we are left with innuendo and back door explanations so that at least the true fans can gain some perspective and understanding.

Get it now?

AliEnvy said:

Who cares if it's true or not? The comments made at the Grammy's were enough for anyone with any common sense to add 2 + 2.

So we are left with innuendo and back door explanations so that at least the true fans can gain some perspective and understanding.

Get it now?

Ah...of course. Crystal.

Originally posted by corner Tell me I'm just being a thick sack of shite

You're just being a thick sack of shite.

Originally posted by corner ...but at least shed some light in my direction and illuminate my ignorance.

Trying to, but you have to open your mind and be able to read between the lines. The situation is not as black and white as you seem to think it should be.

AliEnvy said:

you have to open your mind and be able to read between the lines. The situation is not as black and white as you seem to think it should be.

Fair enough, I was never expecting a black and white explanation...

AliEnvy said:

we are left with innuendo and back door explanations so that at least the true fans can gain some perspective and understanding.

Get it now?

...but is this hashed up mess of a conclusion the only alternative? :shrug: Gimmee a feckin break AliEnvy.
Oh and thank Christ I don't have to rely on this kinda logic to be a qualified "true fan" of my favourite band.

corner said:
...but is this hashed up mess of a conclusion the only alternative? :shrug: Gimmee a feckin break AliEnvy.
Oh and thank Christ I don't have to rely on this kinda logic to be a qualified "true fan" of my favourite band.

Unless Edge decides he wants to open the media floodgates by publically acknowleding that there even is a situation, then yup, it's the only alternative.

So Larry can apologize and suggest there may not have been a tour, Edge can single out one of his 5 children for an award dedication and Bono can pass a message through a fan to the online U2 community of "true fans" without it being a public statement. All innuendo and back door explanations but nonetheless paint the picture.

Obviously you don't rely on logic otherwise you'd understand that.

AliEnvy said:

Unless Edge decides he wants to open the media floodgates by publically acknowleding that there even is a situation, then yup, it's the only alternative.

So Larry can apologize and suggest there may not have been a tour, Edge can single out one of his 5 children for an award dedication and Bono can pass a message through a fan to the online U2 community of "true fans" without it being a public statement. All innuendo and back door explanations but nonetheless paint the picture.

Obviously you don't rely on logic otherwise you'd understand that.

Well said.
There is no contradiciton between the band not wanting to do an official, public announcement, and Bono wanting the fans to understand what happened. Making a statement to the media or on their website is a PR decision, that probably would be taken with their publicity people. Bono talking to a fan and hoping the message will come across others is direct communication between people.

Besides, when he talks to someone like that on the street, he probably doesn't calculate everything in terms of public relations, it was probably just spontaneous on his part. In the same way, Edge might not want a Newspaper to run a story with the details of his daughter's condition, but he still felt like dedicating a song to her in front of a billion people.

I don't see any contradiction...

AliEnvy said:

Ah...and what does that leave Adam with? The job of blinking 3 times, in quick succession to give us yet another vital clue?:shrug:

But no wait a minute...:uhoh:

AliEnvy said:

Oh no...that means that Bono's role in chatting to Melissa has been in vain!:sad:

Oh well, at least we've got the irrefutable evidence of Larry's acceptance speech and Edge's dedication.:happy:

Yeah, that paints a pretty vivid picture for me AliEnvy.

Geez, people it's all gray area here. There is no definitive answer, but I believe Mel's blog post, no reason for her to make this stuff up.

When the band wants to make a statement they will, until then it is all speculation.

Yeah - Reggie...I guess that's just what I've been trying to say all along - in my usual long winded way!

And I'm sorry if I offended anybody along the way here. I was just finding it frustrating that so many people were willing to claim something as gospel, that has little substantial evidence and is yet to be confirmed.

Its weird...I care about the welfare of U2 and their loved ones but whether we KNOW the situation or not is a pretty trivial matter. It won't really change anything except our curiosity...

To be honest, the only reason I've been so argumentative is because I like the discussions. I mean no spite...and sorry if its appeared otherwise.

Love :heart: and Peace :hug: or else :rant:

sharky said:

And Yolland, if you were around the U2 Tour forum, you would have found this "rumor" has been going around for at least a month. This isn't just some blogger saying some conversation with Bono. This is the lawsuit Edge brought against an Irish paper, NME reporting it, etc.

And Sharky, if you were around THIS forum, you'd know that I'm the one who posted the London Times story about Edge's lawsuit here, and that I'd posted several times before that on threads concerning the Press Gazette story about the lawsuit. Even if you hadn't seen those threads, simply reading my post above should have made it obvious that I'd been following the 'rumour' threads all along--how could I otherwise have been familiar with doctorwho's stance on the topic from several weeks earlier?

My concern here is the same as corner's: that the conversation with Bono recorded in Mel's blog simply sounds unlikely to me. I could explain in more detail why I think that, and also why I think that prospect worthy of some concern; but your consistently hostile, dismissive, and contemptuous tone leads me to conclude that that would be a waste of time. Neither corner nor myself were sneering at or mocking anyone, but clearly you were looking for an opportunity to do just that--in self-appointed defense of who or what, I'm not certain.

I'm neither as humble nor as gracious as corner, so I'll simply offer a nod of assent to the sentiments in the post just above and leave it at that.

corner said:
Its weird...I care about the welfare of U2 and their loved ones but whether we KNOW the situation or not is a pretty trivial matter. It won't really change anything except our curiosity...

To be honest, the only reason I've been so argumentative is because I like the discussions. I mean no spite...and sorry if its appeared otherwise.

Love :heart: and Peace :hug: or else :rant: [/B]

:down: to your post...

well here for the sake of putting some of you cynics to rest, I'll say as much and then go back to not existing...I met Melissa during the elevation tours back in LA, and I actually met Bono with her and two handfuls of travelling fans at the same hotel after the Grammy on 2002, where despite the vodka water earlier Bono was very sober, able to recognize everyone and actually jumped out the car before it even came to a complete halt, rushed over gave all the ol' faces a kiss on the cheek and proceeded to stand outside which despite the busy celebrity traffic at the time, with 8 girls politely sorrounding the tiny singer none of the papparazzi took note and so he proceeded to chat for 20 mins explaining to a few of them in detail why the rumored 4th European Elevation leg was cancelled. I don't know the details I was on cloud, 9 and honestly he could've been telling me I won the lotto and I wouldn't have heard a thing. BUT it was for 20 mins, he did confide in them, Melissa included, and she has met him numerous times to the point that yes she was/is a familiar face whom he has no problem chatting to and if you did a little research on her site you would see pictures of her with him since zooTV when she was but 18 years old and I wouldn't have to be writing this out for you. But anyways she is a very honest respectable trustworthy person whom I've since got to know better, and so yes completely reliable, so no I don't see anything far fetched about this encounter at all. And by the way no one walks in LA especially not around sunset blvd at 10, that area's a dump filled with clubs, at 10 am they just all gone to bed, so please don't even try to make that an issue. Also please consider Bono's "cheese factor" before you try to argue the last line as being over the top, this is a man that ran around a heart stage and made little hearts with his hands for a whole year during a rock and roll tour...'nuff said.

About Bono's choice of how to get the apology out, well this is Bono, this is a man that cares too much about everything/everyone, and that's why we love him. He cares about the fans who felt disappointed just like he cares for "the little girl fighting for her life" and it's in his nature to want to comfort the fans as well, even if the pain is not comparable. But if he would've said any of that through to the media that would make it LEGAL for the tabloids and all hell would break. For now it's only internet fan forum speculation, a hunch, not concrete fact. But Heck if he could talk to each and every single one of us I'm 100% sure he would, but he can't and Mel was the only one out there, if it were you and you brought it up in a disscussional manner (as in not while setting fire to your CDs) it would've been you, in fact it could still be you tomorrow. Next time he's in your town find him and instead of asking for an autograph talk to him, skip the whole presale problem, talk to him about the communicational problems b/t management, band, and fans. But for now for be content with the efforts made, vague as they may be, they are definitely trying.

In any case all I'm saying is, accept it is for what it is, an apology and attempt to explain a bad situation to maybe more than one person w/o giving any legal rights for the tabloids to make that little girl's life even more hellish than it is already, and just hope/pray/do some healing voodoo, i don't know whatever floats your boat, but that little girl needs help much more than any of us need a concert.

peace, i'm out

Last edited:
Thanks mbi16. That really cleared things up, as far as I'm concerned anyway. I still find all the mixed messages involved a bit bizarre, but perhaps oceane's comments explain the discrepancies.

I'm more than happy to change my opinions in response to respectfully delivered objections from someone who actually read what I said.

Last edited:
Given how many different people have posted descriptions of their encounters with the band, I'm not sure why everyone finds this so unbelievable. This is also far from the first time that Bono has given out information to a fan, which has in turn been posted here (and turned out to be true). Also, nothing that was said is really out of line with the sort of things he's said to fans in the past. In fact, the full-length post (pre-edit) seemed exactly like something Bono would say.

In addition to all of that, Mel is known to have met and talked to the band before, as someone else pointed out. If you look in her gallery, you'll see photos she took of Edge on the day of the Grammy's, which proves she was there. Also, I have talked to her myself, and she's given me no reason not to trust her.

I know it's easy to be skeptical, especially given the fake Edge thing, but I have full faith that this is legit.

gorman said:
I know it's easy to be skeptical, especially given the fake Edge thing, but I have full faith that this is legit.

I also have full faith in Melissa's story. I've known her on the boards since the Elevation tour.

Thanks mbi16, gorman and BostonAnne :wave:

Those posts really helped, by revealing some of the shady areas surrounding Melissa. I didn't have a clue who she was to begin with and the transcript seemed a bit dodgy. Through you guys though - she now seems to be much more real and genuine.

Cheers again :up:

Hi guys!

Well, wow, I had no idea so much talk was going on behind my back! :wink:

Anyhoo, I thought I'd add my 2 cents as I'm the gal who chatted with Mr. B...

I think it is perfectly normal and wise to question stuff read on the internet because, y'know, you don't me, I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it... (Sorry, I couldn't resist -- it's 5 am here & I’m in crazy insomniac mode)...

Blah blah, yeah, so I was waaay more eloquent on zootopia & other message boards regarding this matter, so, my apologies for being less than coherent.

The thing is having that opportunity to talk to Bono one on one was truly remarkable. I haven't experienced a one on one chat with him since I was 18 years old (I'll be 31 this Sunday). I've met up with him tons of times in both Boston and LA with groups of fans ranging from 2 to 100. Thing is, I wasn't supposed to be alone. 3 other ppl were going to meet me, but they all slept in the lazy so&so's, so there I was feeling like a complete dork standing on a cold sidewalk all by myself jamming out to Vertigo on my U2 iPod... I almost left to wait in my car for my friends to show up I felt so awkward, but then I saw John (or, as I like to call him, "Mr. Clean")... He walked down the driveway and gave me a smile and a little wave. (He looks scary, but he's a real sweetheart -- provided you're not crazy, paparazzi, autograph hound, or all of the above)... Bono appeared shortly thereafter and almost hopped into the car without stopping, but then I stood up (I was kind of behind a florist truck that was parked across the street... don't ask, as I said, I felt like a dork*).... As soon as he saw me he stopped and made a B-line for me (no pun intended -- get it? B-line, god I need sleep... carrying on...)... And, well, the rest is posted a couple times here in full & the edited version is still on my modblog (which is back up, btw, thanks gorman!)...

So, what was my fool point?... Oh! Aside from the obligatory "congrats on your nominations" I had no pre-planned stuff to say to him because every time I've met him the conversation has just flowed naturally... Well, ok, the only time it didn't was the very first time I met him during which I was frozen solid like an ice sculpture I was so in awe -- *sigh* youth... So, yeah, I didn't, like, "interview" him, I just conversed with him and the presale bit just popped out... There was more to the convo than what I posted, but I took out a bunch because it wasn't too important to the message, dig? Now, let me also say that if he hadn't told me to tell y'all what he said, none of these discussions would be happening because the only people I would've told are my husband and my Mum! In fact, despite his asking me, I felt really uncomfortable posting it. It felt like standing naked in a crowded room or something...

Now, I don't know why he chose me -- this one fan -- to relay his message. Was it a spur of the moment thing on his part? Did he like how he worded what he said & felt he couldn't recapture it? I don't have a clue! Was I just at the right place at the right time? Would he have told anybody or was it because he recognized me? None of these riddles can I solve. All I know is, he told me to "tell the people" (as corny as it sounds ~ I'd have worded it differently myself, lol) and so that's what I did -- I told the people. And since I posted it, more than 3,000 people have visited that blog & 393 incoming links with a total of 4567 hits. I mean, that's freaken crazy! I guess I told the people! :ohmy: (Of course, that's mostly thanks to modblog & gorman for having such a great vehicle to get the message out -- thank you!)

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is -- I don't blame anyone for being a doubting Thomas, especially after that whole Edge debacle on here. It's normal. I can't tell you why me, because I just plain don't know. Bono moves in mysterious ways. I can't prove to you my worth, nor shall I try. You either believe or you don't -- simple as that.

All I ask is this: think of me what you will, but please don't let your doubts cloud the message here. There's a little girl out there who needs our love & support (heck, there are a lot of little girls out there suffering from the same thing!), but this little girl is special to me because U2 are special to me -- and, it would seem, special to all of you, too. So, let's try to put the "who the hell is Melissa anyway" stuff aside -- I'm only the messenger here, I'm not important in this equation (aside from my credibility, yes, I know, all I can do is tell you to read what others have said, check out my blog's gallery, ask those who know me, yada...) -- what's important is Bono's words:

"The sad thing is the whole thing happened because of Edge's situation. The tour was canceled 5 times. People worked round the clock just to keep the tour alive. Some people got snubbed and they've a right to complain, but some people are taking it too far -- those people aren't fans, they've an agenda. The heart wrenching thing is -- there's a little girl fighting for her life... It's our fault. It was an error. And we're doing everything we can to fix it."

I wrote those key points in my notebook shortly after he left so I wouldn't forget them. I will not attempt to interpret them because that can lead to speculation and rumor. I will only tell you what it said to me and that was that they messed up the presale, they're sorry, and they are fixing things. That's all I needed to hear from him -- not that I ever blamed U2 in the first place, but I felt honored that he entrusted that message to me and, despite my reservations, I relayed the message as he requested. I've taken a lot of heat from a lot of fans in the last few days, but I guess it's to be expected with something like this, so I'm just going to have to let that go, try to let it not hurt me, and pray the message gets to the people who really need to hear it.

Sorry I rambled on so long there, but thanks for reading if you made it this far!

God bless,
Mel

(*I noted the florist truck because written on the side of the door was "established 1979" and I couldn't help but have one of those U2 geek fan moments like seeing a lemon in the grocery store after a Popmart show... :p)

Last edited:
All Hail Mel Queen of the Zoo!!!

You've done it again girl!! Well done on meeting Bman (I'm catching you up dramatically now with my meetings I have also decided not to post any further meetings (like you told me before I know what you mean!!) as it seems to upset some individuals!!)

I am glad that it was you Bono told he trusts you and so do I!

By the way loved the Edge piccies, Barry the security guy from PM in Dublin is also a nice guy as well!!

Nice to see you back around dont stay away so long next time!!

(((Bono's Tart))) :hug: Good to see you! How are you? You can PM me if you like, so we don't get too OT.
Cheers!
-Mel :bono:

dream chaser said:
Hi guys!

Well, wow, I had no idea so much talk was going on behind my back! :wink:

Anyhoo, I thought I'd add my 2 cents as I'm the gal who chatted with Mr. B...

I think it is perfectly normal and wise to question stuff read on the internet because, y'know, you don't me, I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it... (Sorry, I couldn't resist -- it's 5 am here & I’m in crazy insomniac mode)...

Blah blah, yeah, so I was waaay more eloquent on zootopia & other message boards regarding this matter, so, my apologies for being less than coherent.

The thing is having that opportunity to talk to Bono one on one was truly remarkable. I haven't experienced a one on one chat with him since I was 18 years old (I'll be 31 this Sunday). I've met up with him tons of times in both Boston and LA with groups of fans ranging from 2 to 100. Thing is, I wasn't supposed to be alone. 3 other ppl were going to meet me, but they all slept in the lazy so&so's, so there I was feeling like a complete dork standing on a cold sidewalk all by myself jamming out to Vertigo on my U2 iPod... I almost left to wait in my car for my friends to show up I felt so awkward, but then I saw John (or, as I like to call him, "Mr. Clean")... He walked down the driveway and gave me a smile and a little wave. (He looks scary, but he's a real sweetheart -- provided you're not crazy, paparazzi, autograph hound, or all of the above)... Bono appeared shortly thereafter and almost hopped into the car without stopping, but then I stood up (I was kind of behind a florist truck that was parked across the street... don't ask, as I said, I felt like a dork*).... As soon as he saw me he stopped and made a B-line for me (no pun intended -- get it? B-line, god I need sleep... carrying on...)... And, well, the rest is posted a couple times here in full & the edited version is still on my modblog (which is back up, btw, thanks gorman!)...

So, what was my fool point?... Oh! Aside from the obligatory "congrats on your nominations" I had no pre-planned stuff to say to him because every time I've met him the conversation has just flowed naturally... Well, ok, the only time it didn't was the very first time I met him during which I was frozen solid like an ice sculpture I was so in awe -- *sigh* youth... So, yeah, I didn't, like, "interview" him, I just conversed with him and the presale bit just popped out... There was more to the convo than what I posted, but I took out a bunch because it wasn't too important to the message, dig? Now, let me also say that if he hadn't told me to tell y'all what he said, none of these discussions would be happening because the only people I would've told are my husband and my Mum! In fact, despite his asking me, I felt really uncomfortable posting it. It felt like standing naked in a crowded room or something...

Now, I don't know why he chose me -- this one fan -- to relay his message. Was it a spur of the moment thing on his part? Did he like how he worded what he said & felt he couldn't recapture it? I don't have a clue! Was I just at the right place at the right time? Would he have told anybody or was it because he recognized me? None of these riddles can I solve. All I know is, he told me to "tell the people" (as corny as it sounds ~ I'd have worded it differently myself, lol) and so that's what I did -- I told the people. And since I posted it, more than 3,000 people have visited that blog & 393 incoming links with a total of 4567 hits. I mean, that's freaken crazy! I guess I told the people! :ohmy: (Of course, that's mostly thanks to modblog & gorman for having such a great vehicle to get the message out -- thank you!)

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is -- I don't blame anyone for being a doubting Thomas, especially after that whole Edge debacle on here. It's normal. I can't tell you why me, because I just plain don't know. Bono moves in mysterious ways. I can't prove to you my worth, nor shall I try. You either believe or you don't -- simple as that.

All I ask is this: think of me what you will, but please don't let your doubts cloud the message here. There's a little girl out there who needs our love & support (heck, there are a lot of little girls out there suffering from the same thing!), but this little girl is special to me because U2 are special to me -- and, it would seem, special to all of you, too. So, let's try to put the "who the hell is Melissa anyway" stuff aside -- I'm only the messenger here, I'm not important in this equation (aside from my credibility, yes, I know, all I can do is tell you to read what others have said, check out my blog's gallery, ask those who know me, yada...) -- what's important is Bono's words:

"The sad thing is the whole thing happened because of Edge's situation. The tour was canceled 5 times. People worked round the clock just to keep the tour alive. Some people got snubbed and they've a right to complain, but some people are taking it too far -- those people aren't fans, they've an agenda. The heart wrenching thing is -- there's a little girl fighting for her life... It's our fault. It was an error. And we're doing everything we can to fix it."

I wrote those key points in my notebook shortly after he left so I wouldn't forget them. I will not attempt to interpret them because that can lead to speculation and rumor. I will only tell you what it said to me and that was that they messed up the presale, they're sorry, and they are fixing things. That's all I needed to hear from him -- not that I ever blamed U2 in the first place, but I felt honored that he entrusted that message to me and, despite my reservations, I relayed the message as he requested. I've taken a lot of heat from a lot of fans in the last few days, but I guess it's to be expected with something like this, so I'm just going to have to let that go, try to let it not hurt me, and pray the message gets to the people who really need to hear it.

Sorry I rambled on so long there, but thanks for reading if you made it this far!

God bless,
Mel

(*I noted the florist truck because written on the side of the door was "established 1979" and I couldn't help but have one of those U2 geek fan moments like seeing a lemon in the grocery store after a Popmart show... :p)

Thanks so much Mel! I truely believe you are one lucky gal! But also the definition of a true U2 Fan. The boys see this in you. Your respectfulness of them and thus they trust you. We all aspire to be like this (me included!) and hope that maybe we will have encounters similar to this.

I also have U2 geek fan moments daily...especially when you say: Have a nice day or something, and they say, thanks, you too..(u2..hehehe) actually everytime someone says "you too" I get that geeky U2 look on my face.

Back
Top Bottom