MERGED-->Flying Edge + not able to wait for the next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
Flying Edge for the next tour!?!?!?!

Here is an article from U2log.com

"Holosonic Research Labs, a Boston area audio technology company, is working with U2 to design a unique audio spotlight system for the band?s next tour. Audio spotlight is a technology that allows sound to be directed at or projected against a particular location. Specifically, Holosonics is working to create a system in which the sound generated from Edge?s guitar can be ?flown over? to swoop an audience.

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, F. Joseph Pompei, the founder of Holosonics, discussed the project with U2: ?U2 kept coming by the lab [see pic], and eventually we went out to L.A. and took measurements to see what it would take to get the Edge?s guitar sound to fly around. We?re working on that design now.?

Holosonics is involved with Media Lab Europe, and Edge?s interest in the company?s audio spotlight technology may explain why he recently joined Media Lab?s board of directors."

I just about wet my pants when I read this. Also, if they're working on designing their tour, I think they are probably on the final stages of the album.

"Oh boy is this great!"-Flounder from Animal House

Based on the title I thought they were gonna hook Edge up to a harness, and swing him around arenas like a bad performance of A Street Car Named Desire.

Oh shit, I think I just gave them an idea.

Now Bono's gonna yell Stella during Desire.

:down:

cujo said:
Based on the title I thought they were gonna hook Edge up to a harness, and swing him around arenas like a bad performance of A Street Car Named Desire.

Oh shit, I think I just gave them an idea.

Now Bono's gonna yell Stella during Desire.

:down:

That's just what I was thinking!LOL

LOL at first I was also thinking about some Edge swinging over the crowd.

I read about this somewhere and I think it will be very interesting to hear the result :hyper:

This makes me really not able to wait for the next tour

I read this off of www.u2log.com

Cutting Edge
Holosonic Research Labs, a Boston area audio technology company, is working with U2 to design a unique audio spotlight system for the band?s next tour. Audio spotlight is a technology that allows sound to be directed at or projected against a particular location. Specifically, Holosonics is working to create a system in which the sound generated from Edge?s guitar can be ?flown over? to swoop an audience.

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, F. Joseph Pompei, the founder of Holosonics, discussed the project with U2: ?U2 kept coming by the lab [see pic], and eventually we went out to L.A. and took measurements to see what it would take to get the Edge?s guitar sound to fly around. We?re working on that design now.?

Holosonics is involved with Media Lab Europe, and Edge?s interest in the company?s audio spotlight technology may explain why he recently joined Media Lab?s board of directors.

I know! Just imagine intro to Streets all over the place , or ending solo to Mysterious ways, or UTEOTW, or the Fly...

Erm? It might kinda suck. You'll only hear the guitar if it's aimed at you? Unless you can aim it at everyone, large chunks of people would miss huge parts of songs? So the front row gets to hear the solo for Pride, while the rest of the arena waits for this stupid thing to get pointed at their ears?

Last edited:
MrBrau1, I think they're trying to work that part out before they would take it on tour. I mean these guys have been doing this for over 20 years now. They're not going to take something that only plays to parts of an audience. Don't worry if it doesn't give them exactly what they want, they won't use it.

MrBrau1 said:
Erm? It might kinda suck. You'll only hear the guitar if it's aimed at you? Unless you can aim it at everyone, large chunks of people would miss huge parts of songs? So the front row gets to hear the solo for Pride, while the rest of the arena waits for this stupid thing to get pointed at their ears?

I don't think that it will work that way. Probably more like isolated amplification, where the volume is raised for certain sections of the arena.

In a related article I read you can literally whisper into someones ear. They ran an expeirement where they projected the sound of a breaking glass and had waiter's on the floor above them truning around to see what was dropped. You could really mess with someone's head. On the other hand it would eventually eliminate the need to place speakers all around the stadium or arena. That could be awesome, if it works. I'm sure U2 are on top of the technology. Edge only has a genius IQ, I've heard. :edge: :cool: Of course they are all geniuses in my mind.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be cool if the new album incorporated some songs/sounds that were designed to work well with this new technology? The sound of Edges guitar moving all around the room or the arena, whatever the case may be sounds pretty cool.

Just one more think to have break. Like the giant lemon.

True, but that giant Lemon happens to be one of the coolest things I ever have seen in my life. You gotta take risks man. That's what U2 is about.

I think this effect willb e used for things like the screamer effect on MOFO or more atmospheric effects rather than for main staple items like solos and stuff.

What's interesting was that on initial reading I thought it was based on technology based similar to noise cancelling headphones. I thought they packaged the sound inside a wavelength that would cancel it outside the range of the "soundbeam". But upon reading the technology actually has a tottaly different basis.

very interesting company....very interesting product.

Back
Top Bottom