MERGED-->Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know - I can't imagine listening to an album 35 times in two days. wow. I'm on the 3rd and what I'm realizing is this: Bono talked about a rock n' roll album which set my expectations for an album full of songs that sound like Vertigo - big, over the top rock songs (think Elevation, The fly, God Part II - songs with attitude). Vertigo hit that on the head and nothing else on the album really does. A bunch of the songs have their moments, but it's never consistently big rock music except for Vertigo and ABOU (which still sounds like the Cars to me). This album is far more subtle, and maybe that's not a bad thing - just wasn't what I had expected/hoped for.

At the end of the day, they're the best live band in the world - as long as they love the songs enough to keep playing them, I'll keep going...

One other thing - I think Bono sounds fine. I'd imagine that after all these years he's still looking for different ways to use his voice, but after only a couple listens, I think he sounds great. All of them sound like they're playing really well.

Bob what do you think of Crumbs From Your Table? I just downloaded it, and I'm a bit conflicted about it right now..

Woooooohooooooooo

Headache in a Suitcase said:
The Esteemed Director of U2 Security's Not So Exclusive Album Review

6. All Because of You- Look Lisa! Daddy's in The Who!
741223.jpg

Laugh so much i think ive wet meself, totally spot on.

As for my thoughts on the HTDAAB, Holy SH*TE, ATYCLB has fallen to fourth in my U2 greatest list. Dont ask me whats above it, it changes on a daily basis.

The boys have done it again, the album is Monster and all the people saying its an instant classic are spot on.

Rock on 2005 :drool: :drool:

Paul K a very happy bunny

Last edited:
I agree he did set some sort of expectation for me too.
But I've learned a long time ago to believe it when I hear it. :D

That being said, the performances live WILL dictate what category this Album truly fall into.

btw, @ 9:30 this AM makes it 36th complete listen. This is more due to the crap out in the music world than my devotion the band.

JT was the only album I listened to for an entire freshman/sophomore year in college.

I think AB was the best album, but it never was worn out like the JT tape.:wink:

bobmarley said:
you know - I can't imagine listening to an album 35 times in two days. wow. I'm on the 3rd and what I'm realizing is this: Bono talked about a rock n' roll album which set my expectations for an album full of songs that sound like Vertigo - big, over the top rock songs (think Elevation, The fly, God Part II - songs with attitude). Vertigo hit that on the head and nothing else on the album really does. A bunch of the songs have their moments, but it's never consistently big rock music except for Vertigo and ABOU (which still sounds like the Cars to me). This album is far more subtle, and maybe that's not a bad thing - just wasn't what I had expected/hoped for.

At the end of the day, they're the best live band in the world - as long as they love the songs enough to keep playing them, I'll keep going...

One other thing - I think Bono sounds fine. I'd imagine that after all these years he's still looking for different ways to use his voice, but after only a couple listens, I think he sounds great. All of them sound like they're playing really well.

I've only listened to the album a couple of times, but I must say that I'm underwhelmed. It just feels hackneyed and forced.

Vertigo I like alright. Miracle Drug is okay, but hardly hits me as anything special. SYCMIOYO has some nice moments, but fails to do anything for me. Love and Peace or Else is a good song and a nice step into a different direction. City of Blinding Lights has its moments, but fails to really go anywhere. All Because of You is a step in the right direction, though I don't like it as much as Love and Peace or Else. A Man and a Woman is alright, but just feels a bit out of place. Crumbs from Your Table is alright, though it sounds a bit like Electrical Storm redux at times. Original of the Species just does nothing for me. Yahweh is a train wreck - and I had high expectations for this one, maybe my problem.

I'll have to see if time helps this album. The lyrics are inconsistent. The bad lyric alarm in my head keeps going off, but that may be because I've been listening to Dylan more than anyone else over the past year or so.

All other U2 albums have sunk in with, at most, two listens for me in the past. Boy hit on the first. October took two. War hit on the first. UF took two. JT took two. R&H hit on the first. AB hit on the first. Zooropa hit on the first. Pop took two. ATYCLB too only one. After four, this one still seems to me to be the worst album they've ever recorded. It just feels forced. The echoing chimes from the Edge are overused. Bono's voice sometimes reaches farther than it should.

I'll keep listening. I hope it will grow on me.

I've listend to the album for a 4th time. It's not as bad as I had originally said (calling it "utter shite"), but it's no masterpiece either. Please don't embarass yourselves by comparing this album to Abbey Road or even any of U2's better albums.

I think I was originally stung by Bono's proclimation of an over-the-top rock record. Vertigo sticks out like a sore thumb on this album. I would have liked to hear more of that. Songs in the style of Elevation, The Fly, Big Girls are Best (one of my favorite B-Sides). I'm trying to take this album for what it is now. But even with lowered expectations, I find it kind of a snoozer.

Derek said:
Please don't embarass yourselves by comparing this album to Abbey Road or even any of U2's better albums.

I dont think anyone has to embarass themselves. Thats what's so great about this band, all the different sounds they have given us over the years and still connect with us on a personal level. But at the same time, some will love certain ones and be lukewarm to others. If you dont like this record compared their earlier works, in a way that just shows respect to how strong their catalogue is. but if you love this album, then it just did what u2 have been doing to us for the last 25 years. Thats why were all here on this forum. I think its an amazing album. But keep listening, a couple songs (OSC and yahweh) didnt really hit me until about the tenth listen. :up: I think Zooropa took me a year to really discover its beauty.

You know... everytime through the album, I'm feeling okay about it until Track #7, "A Man and a Woman." This might be the most god awful song I have ever heard from a band I respected. I keep waiting for them to issue a press release, "We were just kidding about that one, guys. We're not a Muzak band." It just kills the goodwill built up by COBL and ABOY (which f'ing rocks). Next time through I might just delete it. Forget it ever existed. See if it helps the other songs following it seem any better.

Derek said:
You know... everytime through the album, I'm feeling okay about it until Track #7, "A Man and a Woman." This might be the most god awful song I have ever heard from a band I respected. I keep waiting for them to issue a press release, "We were just kidding about that one, guys. We're not a Muzak band." It just kills the goodwill built up by COBL and ABOY (which f'ing rocks). Next time through I might just delete it. Forget it ever existed. See if it helps the other songs following it seem any better.

I love A Man and A Woman, it is like a Rolling Stones soul ballad. A lot of other people love it too, especially the ladies. It may be good for your love life to at least pretend to like it. :wink:

Are these mp3 the album or is this what Chris Thomas worked on? I like the album except for A Man and a Woman. It seems different.

No intro like One or With or Without You...

Its definitely a grower. As for the songs, people are still needing them?

I played it for my guitar teacher last night, who likes U2, but isn't a big fan or anything. He liked it a lot, but his comment was interesting:

"It sounds like they are finally comfortable with themselves as a band."

Mark Freedman said:
I played it for my guitar teacher last night, who likes U2, but isn't a big fan or anything. He liked it a lot, but his comment was interesting:

"It sounds like they are finally comfortable with themselves as a band."

hence, bono's statement that this is their first album.

My review...

:) First impressions can often be misleading… In the context of Vertigo being the first single, Bono talking about “rock made on Venus”, this being an Edge record, “beginner’s energy with veterans craft”, “80’s U2 pumped up for the 21st century” and on and on, I really expected to be floored with some AB era rock… for many months that was the impression us fans were given regarding what HTDAAB would be… in the end we got something different, which is pretty much what I thought upon first listening to HTDAAB. I was disappointed after that first listen because it wasn’t the new U2 record that I THOUGHT I wanted. It was like October 31st 2000 all over again… eventually I did grow to like ATYCLB but I never quite got over the feeling that ATYCLB was calculated and designed to be a safe album. ATYCLB had some stellar moments (combined with a couple that still make me cringe to this day) but it didn’t feel like a U2 album to me.

So, like my first listen to ATYCLB my first 50 minutes with HTDAAB were disappointing… but after several repeated listens it turns out that the album we got is far superior to the album that I thought I wanted. There is a combination of stellar U2 anthems (Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, COBL, CFYT, OOTS) interspersed with some really interesting tunes (LAPOE, ABOY, AMAAW, OSC) that at times temper the mood of the album and at the same time offer something very different from the core tracks. As an opener Vertigo is misleading but is a fantastic contrast to the uplifting beauty of MD, the other book-end (Yahweh) really puts the album as a whole into context, this album (like life) has its dark/somber moments but there is an indescribable sense of hope and an uplifting force behind the melancholy, sometimes it comes in the form of a lyric, sometimes it’s Edges guitar, and at others its in Bono’s delivery (listen to the middle of OOTS – “you shout it! You don’t have to be shy about it!”). This album will be good for your soul, it will empower you to make a difference, and it will warm your heart, it will make you cry and better appreciate those things that you take for granted. HTDAAB may not be the album I thought I wanted but it most definitely has moved me beyond words and in the end has exceeded all my expectations.

the album is 10 out of 10...Achtung Baby has been removed from centre stage...you'll see in five years when the dust has settled...Achtung doesn't seem the same anymore

I think that Achtung will always be #1 for me because its such a great record and its what made me such a big u2 fan. So it has a special place...but I dont know, the material on this new record is incredible.

It is very "U2" to me- full of Edge's guitars and ATYCLB style songs- which isn't a bad thing. The one complaint I had about ATYCLB was that after Wild Honey it tailed off quite quickly, the last4 or 5 songs (sorry can't remember what they're called) seemed like filler to me. There seems to be less of it on this new album (although I've only heard 9 of the 12 tracks).

I'm more of a casual U2 fan and I'll freely admit my favourite U2 albums are Achtung Baby and Zooropa but this sounds fine to me. And this album will be a monster hit for them

I think this album is awesome, and will get better than ATYCLB in time, but the first couple of weeks you have to adjust too it...

Is everyone even sure this isent the stolen album from france that wasent complete?

oh well, stil is awesome!
One Step Closer, is the only track I don't like!
I'll let you guys be without a Review from cause of my bad english... See you all on the tour, what ever it's going to be called...

It seems like most people here are underwhelmed with "One Step Closer." Honestly, I don't know why. I think it's an absolutely fantastic songs. One of the best on the album. It sounds like what All That You Can't Leave Behind should have sounded like.

After reading the posts the last 2 days I wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well. I started following U2 in 1982,and was fortunate enough to have the War show be my first concert ever at age 12. I was blown away by the music and energy,and needless to say was hooked for life. I enjoyed UF fire a lot, although there was some mediocruty on there. Like most of you,I was absolutely blown away by JT and still don't tire of many of those songs.

Rattle and Hum,the b-side covers and a general cheesiness by the band in the late 80s/early 90s upset me and made we wonder if I'd ever see the cool,ass kicking U2 from the early days. Then,just as I was about to lose hope,Achtung Baby came out and blew the doors off the place. As a longtime U2 fan,I tried to see the good in Zooropa and Pop as much as possible,and for the most part enjoyed that stuff. Again,as I started to wonder if the band was headed towards the Know when to Say When Stage,ATYCLB came out and restored my faith again.

After ATYCLB and everything I've read I've been so anxious to hear these tracks and finally got to yesterday (other than Vertigo of course). I read some of the negative reviews on here so maybe my opinion was skewed a bit,but I tried to give every song a fair 4 or 5 listens before reaching any conclusion. After a full day of listening,here are my thoughts:

As of now this album is not one filled with monster songs as Bono claimed,and after listening to JT again today,I'm pretty disappointed in his lyrics on this album. There are no "yeah,yeah,yeah,yeah,yeah yeah" endings to any songs on that album,and overall the lyrics Bono wrote back then were utterly amazing. It does seem to an extent that instead of being the Alpha and having others follow him,maybe he or they have been influenced either consciously or subconsciously by Coldplay and some of the other newer bands of today. There does seem to be a lack of originality or creativity on this album,especially lyrically on a few of the tracks. Also,it's obvious Bono's voice just doesn't have the range it once did.

Despite some of the things I just said,I have always been a U2 supporter and still take whatever positives i can out of any of their albums. As others have noted,I think this just isn't the type of monster rock album we were led to believe it was,but it does have some very enjoyable material on it,once we adjust to what it is and not what we expected it to be. I personally like Yahweh an awful lot,especially for the 11th track on an album. I think Love and Peace was a bit daring for them and is a very cool song overall. Even if it's a little soft,I like A Man and a Woman a lot,it catches you write away. Many of the other songs I'm still getting used to and trying to love,but I will admit I did go back to JT on my Ipod today and was blown away like always. Maybe the bottom line is these guys are in their mid 40s and they're growing up with their audience,so we shouldn't expect the 27 year olds from 1987,nor their energy. Just like athletes,and other types of entertainers,it seems many musicians reach their peak in their 20s and 30s and maybe that's the case with the band. To expect the hungry,spirited band from the early 80s is unrealistic,so let's just enjoy what good music the band puts out these days. Even if I end up loving just 3 or 4 songs off the album,my life will be that much better than it was before they were released.

A Man and Woman has a George Michael groove. Which isn't a bad thing IMO.

But Crumbs is my favorite right now. The lyrics are simple yet strikes a very definite chord.

Back
Top Bottom