MERGED-->Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i learned from the past that it takes me usually two years to realize how much I like an u2 album, and to make statements like "the best ever done", or "better than album x and worse than y"... maybe i am slow, but my feeling about an u2 album evolves as i catch all that's in it, and as i can feel it as an artistic expression from a given time, not as a sum of songs to rate.

With that said, all i want to mention about htdaab after listening to it only twice is that i am happier today than i was yesterday because i know more u2 songs than i knew, and they made me confirm once again that, no matter the year and the age, there is music, there is also good music, and then above all there is u2.

thanks for let me being born in this age and be aware of this.

riko

ps - feel free to quote

shing said:
Frankly, I'm disappointed. Vertigo had shown some promise for the new album.
Peace or Else isn't too bad. Haven't heard miracle drug yet. But the rest of the album sounds like a Phil Collins disney soundtrack. And yes I've been a huge fan since I started listening to rock music in 87.

...just an attempt to provoke...

I don't really see Love And Peace Or Else as innovative... Depeche Mode did this 13 years ago...

Don't get me wrong, I love this song and I think it will be a MONSTER live, but I don't see the innovation anywhere... It's just techno-blues...

I cant find the melody in Crumbs - to me it's just another plodding rocker in the tradition of Gone & Kite

umm - can someone re-direct me to a site where the new U2 album is? The one I got sounds like a bunch of washed-up 40 year olds trying to make a buck off their name (or $350 bucks if you buy their ipod). Seriously people - take off the blinders and call this album what it is - a huge disappointment. How can anyone - ANYONE - honestly listen to this album and get excited about it? Where's the "Great rock and roll" album Bono's been talking about??? It's like they decided to record an entire album of slow, Coldplay-ish tunes, mixed in some elevator music, then added Edge's guitar to make it sound like U2. I love this band and I hope the album grows on me, but there must be some other people who had the same reaction I did when I heard it: complete let down. Atomic Bomb indeed...:(

bobmarley said:
umm - can someone re-direct me to a site where the new U2 album is? The one I got sounds like a bunch of washed-up 40 year olds trying to make a buck off their name (or $350 bucks if you buy their ipod). Seriously people - take off the blinders and call this album what it is - a huge disappointment. How can anyone - ANYONE - honestly listen to this album and get excited about it? Where's the "Great rock and roll" album Bono's been talking about??? It's like they decided to record an entire album of slow, Coldplay-ish tunes, mixed in some elevator music, then added Edge's guitar to make it sound like U2. I love this band and I hope the album grows on me, but there must be some other people who had the same reaction I did when I heard it: complete let down. Atomic Bomb indeed...:(

Thanks Bob, but i thought you were dead?

I am listening to the album as we speak for the first time. I plan to provide a lengthier review after I've listened to the entire album, compltete with stereo speakers and lyrics. However, upon first impression, this album sounds fantastic. I don't know if it's AB or JT yet. I wait impatiently for new U2 for years on end and am never disappointed. I looooove it so far. But come December, after listening to HTDAAB repeatedly about 80 times, I think I will love it much more after evey listen and picking up all of the intricate notes/lyrics/ideas not initially heard upon first listen. It gets a 10 out of 10 in my book. I hope you all are loving it as well.

Bob is alive and well, has been a U2 fan for 20 years, used to be on WIRE and owns just about every issue of Propaganda all the way back to when he signed up for it in high school. These things make me no more or less a fan than others, however I think it bears mentioning that I'm not someone trying to rile people up for the hell of it before returning to the Brittney Spears list I usually post on... Nope - I'm a U2 fan and after the first listen of the album I find it horrible. The worst part is that it's boring and I didn't think U2 was capable of turning out a boring album. To those people that are ready to call it a masterpiece, I'm jealous - I'd love to be excited about the album, but so far I'm very disappointed. I may warm to it after a few listens, but we won't know that for a couple days... I'll get back to you...

Sorry Bob - nothing personal meant by the Rollins crack, just having some fun. I have been a fan too for 20 years. And i prefer Lindsay Lohan to Britney Spears

Desert Dog said:
I think Bob really is Henry Rollins

funny - when someone takes the unheard of step to call U2 out on something, people on this forum immediately believe your some crazy lunatic (Henry Rollins) rather than a fan that loves the band as much as the rest of you but refuses to treat Bono and Co. as anything other than what they are: People like you and me. Everything they touch doesn't turn to gold and they make mistakes just like the rest of us. To me (again, after only one listen) this sounds like a collection of misses. There was not one track where I listened and thought, "damn - I'll have to listen to that one again, it's so catchy..." instead, I kept hoping, "Damn, I hope the next track is better than this dull, slow one... and the next one was always more of the same." Seriously - is there track besides Vertigo that has more than 110 or 120 beats per min?

Hi,

Well the album gets better with every listing. I shall give you a review per number;

Vertigo:

Realy heavy punkstyle guitar riffs! Most heavy song of the Album. Old style baslines from Adam! Great single but not representative for the entire Album. This is defenitely the anger of edge thats driving this song en kicks your Ass!

Miracle drug:

Very emotional smooth start with nice synths. Than the song takes a suprising move as it starts off. I'm not really a fan of bono's singing. Drums are a bit like Coldplay. The song grows nice and after a whil edge comes in with some really good pointy guitarplay! I wonder how this song will do live!

SYCMIOYO

For me personal its not one of my favorites. Bono is really singing emotional! But the song is not stunning to me, maybe it needs repeat listening. The song does grow nice, like the high tones from Bono. And one thing I don't like is the electrical storm riff in the song.

Love And Peace Or Else

This song is so fucking Great! Its the best song off the album! Expirimental, groovy. Its a maffia song with great electrical sounds. Heavy basses en distorted guitars! Yeah I love this one. The Solo in the end is sooo great! Its a realy dark solo. Can't wait to hear this live.

City Of Blinding lights:

Could be a single release. Ik think It will do well in Holland (thats were I live) Like the build up, nice smoothly grows and grows. Old style typical Edge guitar with great basslines from Adam. A beautifull song. Like edge voice in the end of the song!

All Because Of You

Starts quite funny with a sharp guitareffect. I Like this song because of edges work. Bono's singing is far from good. Sometimes It seems that the singing does'nt fit the song actually. Its clear edge is wearing the trousers. Nice non typical edge solo in the end of the song.

Man and a woman

Nice song, bit uninspired and sounds a bit like dancing barefoot. Its a decent song but not stunning.

Crumbs from your table

This songs needs repeated listening. After a while you begin to understand what its about (get it?). What I don't like about this song is that some guitarriffs sounds very similar to walk on and electrical storm. But overall great song.

One step closer

The titel of the song is promissing, but the song lacks character. I don't like this one.

Original of the species:

Hey! U2 as the beatless. Not bad, nod bad at all! This could be a single release. I Like this one. Nice guitarplay in the end! Lovely song.

Yahweh:

Great song. It makes me happy. It really gives me a good fealing.

Overall:

Its defenitely not the best album the have ever made. The album is dominated by edges, wich is of course a good thing. But The promissed a straight rock guitar album, and I'm sorry, but it is NOT a straight rock album. I was a bit dissapointed by it. Bono's voice is also loosing strenght, It sounds flat to me and now a days his voice has several cracks. What is also missing is a great classic song! Wich one could that be?? Mine opinion, after having it 3 days. Good/decent but not stunning. But maybe its to early to judge.... Let me put it this way, this album has great potential.

Desert Dog said:
Sorry Bob - nothing personal meant by the Rollins crack, just having some fun. I have been a fan too for 20 years. And i prefer Lindsay Lohan to Britney Spears

no sweat, I'm partial to Christina...

bobmarley said:
To those people that are ready to call it a masterpiece, I'm jealous - I'd love to be excited about the album, but so far I'm very disappointed. I may warm to it after a few listens, but we won't know that for a couple days... I'll get back to you...

Zooropa horrified me during 2 years, and it suddenly grew on me and now it's one of my favourites. You never know...

bobmarley said:

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. Seriously, folks. Take off the blinders. This is utter shite. I listend once and tried to bite my tounge. I listened twice and became enraged. The third time through I was overcome with disappointment.

Can someone please tell me how this album at all resembles the one Bono's comments lead us all to believe was coming... you know, that rock album where the edge really let loose? Maybe that's why I dislike it so much. Maybe it's just because it's nothing at all like that. Vertigo had so much promise...

Commence your attacks on me now. I'm not always negative. I tried to love it. Then I tried to like it. Then I tried to respect it. Now I'm just trying to stand it. I hope it grows on me.

Out of my sheer love for this album, which has grown since yesterday:

Vertio=To me, the evolution of Elevation. Rather simple in nature, this song sounds like the band having fun and fully energized. 76%

Miracle Drug=I was disappointed at first, but this song has since grown on me. For some reason, it conveys a very emotional message in the very mathematic nature of science. This will be superb in concert. 81%

Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own=Again, I was disappointed when I first heard it. After a few listens, however, this song is really starting to hit home to me. Every fan who listens to this song should be able to relate it too some loss of a loved one or tough time in their lives. It's very personal. LOVE the falsetto! 88%

Love and Peace or Else=Full of studio effects, Brian Eno's impact on this song is obvious. It's definitely a wierd song, relaxed, yet heavy at the same time. Ominous and dark are the key words. Great transition on the album! 72%

City of Blinding Lights=Many people are trying to compare this one with Streets, but they fail to realize this one for what it is: a love song directed at US, the fans. Beautiful, moving, and infectious. 95%

All Because of You=A layered, well thought out rock song. It bristles with energy. 79%

A Man and a Woman

I'll finish this later:wink:

Can you guys please tell me where you found the album? I can't wait any longer. Thanks.

Dean

Can anyone please tell me where to find the album? I've been looking all day,without success. I'm dying to hear it. Thanks.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Album Review:

1. Vertigo: A track that hits you right in the chest, with heavy guitars, catchy lyrics, bass and drums. A track that very much reminds me of “Elevation” but better. Perfect choice for the first single, because it gives a strong indication of what is to come, and what is to come is that indeed Edge has come back to the party with true swagger and style incorporating some of his favorite guitar all throughout this album.
2. Miracle Drug: Lyrics on this song are absolutely beautiful. Talking about the crisis in Africa, about treating everybody as equals, a message to the first world to release the patients on “Miracle Drugs” such as AIDS vaccine among other things. Again this has some classic Edge guitar in it, also has classic Larry Mullen drumming using the symbols. Potential is there for this one to be a single.
3. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own: One of the best ballads that U2 have written in a long time. A cousin to “Kite”, with Bono talking about the relationship with his father. I think many people worldwide will be able to relate to this track with somebody in their own family. This is also a potential single, it has all the elements of emotion that all great ballads have.
4. Love and Peace Or Else: Most defiantly the most bluesy, rocking track on the album. Also one of the most political tracks that U2 has written in quite a long time. This is indeed the track that could take the place of “Bullet The Blue Sky” on the set list for the upcoming tour. Might be too heavy a track to become a single but if it doesn’t, it will certainly be big among the U2 fan base as one of the “hidden gems”.
5. City Of Blinding Lights: This is the most “classic” U2 sounding track on the record, with a very Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire sound to it throughout. Will again be one of the big hits live with the amazing “Where The Streets Have No Name” kind of introduction. This track will almost certainly be a single.
6. All Because Of You: Another rock track with some very catchy hooks. Could be a big radio hit if released as a single. Sounds very Rolling Stones or The Who tone wise. Very likely single.
7. A Man and a Woman: This seems to me to be a track of Bono talking in first person about the lifestyle that he leads as being a rock star. With all the temptations while out on tour and doing other things on the road. His love for Ali really shows through in this track. Probably won’t be a single even though it does defiantly have some catchy hooks to it.
8. Crumbs From Your Table: Another big rock track with a very deep political message about the potential of the African continent. “The Crumbs From Your Table” seams to blatantly show that U2 do not believe that Africa is of as high priority as it should be for the first world, a very good metaphor as a song title. Probably won’t be a single, but the strong message of this track simply can’t be ignored and it fits on this album very well.
9. One Step Closer: A song that Bono wrote for his father in the final months of his life, talking about the long journey that life has taken him on. Very “heavenly” track. Unlikely single but will certainly be a hidden gem for hardcore U2 fans that understand what Bono’s father meant to him.
10. Original Of The Species: In my opinion one of the best ballads ever written by any band not just U2. The strings add to the beautiful concept of this song with chiming Edge guitars, the beauty of this track cannot be really put into words. Should defiantly be a single.
11. Yahweh: A joyous album ends with a joyous prayer. Probably the best closing track U2 has ever had on a record. Should be the replacement to “40” as the classic closing track to their live show. Probably will not be a single but will defiantly be a U2 classic among the fans.

Overall Impression: U2’s biggest success at making an uplifting album to date. While this album talks about some very serious issues that are affecting the world at times, the songs overall still have a very positive tone to them. This album flies by when listening to it, it is a constant pleasure to the ears. I don’t believe I would change a thing about this record, other then perhaps the title. In my mind this is U2’s Abbey Road, and a more fitting title for me after hearing this album many times would have been Hanover Quay, because U2 just seemed very comfortable with themselves and with their surroundings throughout the album. My rating for this album is 9.5/10 stars, and I have only given that rating to 2 other albums in the past, Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. U2 have still got it, and it defiantly isn’t time to give up the mantle of being the best band in the world yet.

Probable Singles
1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Original Of The Species
4. City Of Blinding Lights
5. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own

Sales Estimate:
Between 12 and 14 million copies worldwide.

Feel free to Quote.

Edges playing saves all the songs! He has been hard at work in the lab again seeking and searching. All the music is on the boil!! But its not THE rock n roll "monster" Bono proclaimed. I think they start to believe their own press in their quest to be the greatest band in the world for another 4 years.

But I can't take the "all because of you" chorus as its off key and just an ear pain but again the music is great.

The beginning of A Man and a Woman sounds like part of George Michael's "AMAZING!" sad! "little sister..." sounds like Georgey boy! Lads must have had the radio on when writing it or George pinched the Edges CD??

But really the new Yahwe"eeeeeh" ja OOTS's stea"aaal" ...knee"eeeel"s...fee"eeel" are ear pains!!!!!!!

Bono is always searching for new sounds to be creative, fresh, different from the pack but these high pitched, off key notes may be a new sound but are a tad painful, sounds like a 44 year old trying to win over 14 year olds!

But bring on the lyrics and music again James!

CT

Last edited:
Yahweh said:
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Album Review:

Probable Singles
1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Original Of The Species
4. City Of Blinding Lights
5. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own

umm... not to be a jerk but:

1. Vertigo - it's out, I'll give you that one.
2. All because of you - best song on the album, too bad they stole the melody. Check 'all I can do' by the Cars - Bono should be embarassed. It's awful.
3. Original of the Species - I ain't gonna lie, I dig this tune.
4. City of blinding lights - never gonna happen unless they do a radio edit. The intro is 1:17 long and the song is almost 6 mins long. Radio generally wants catchy, short tunes - to keep people interested and to maximize their ad times. (It's the ADD generation after all) It's hard to make a case for this one when the second chorus doesn't come in until 3:30 - but they are the biggest band in the world, so I'd bet they can twist some arms if they want it on the radio.
5. Sometimes you can't make it out - the first 3:20 is very un-radio and frankly, very forgettable. It's like they wanted to re-do 'stuck in a moment'.

All in all - I feel like someone should have told them to get to the freaking point as there just seem to be too many long, boring, forgettable, very-U2-ish interludes in the songs.

If Bono hadn't built it up as the next great rock record, I'd like it a lot more, but this ain't no stinkin' rock n'roll record...

BRING BACK ENO!

P.S. to whomever compared this to Abbey Road - please. I agree with the comparisons of Achtung Baby and the White Album, but to compare an album oflong, pointless slow songs to one of the great Beatles albums is awful. 'Here comes the sun', 'something' and 'come together' are three of the most famous songs EVER - I have a hard time picturing some kid whistling 'one step closer' 25 years from now.

hey bob marley, i love your signature there.
one love.
no love for u2's new album, though.
oh well.
i respect that you are a fan and you are not into it. i was not blown away at first either.
and it did take me several listens to fall in love with more than a few songs.
at this point it is not one of my favorite u2 albums ever, but i am enjoying the journey of getting to know these songs.
i agree it was a letdown to hear so many slow songs after the hype, not just from bono, but from various media reports about this rocking and energetic album.
miracle drug was described by NME as heavy.
i do not see it as heavy at all.
and SYCMIOY may grow on me, but comparing it to One, as some media reviews have done, at this point, strikes me as crazy.
however, for me, LAPOE and ABOY and Vertigo all grabbed me with their energy and vitality. they make me very happy.
and people complaining about bono's vocals i do not agree with at all--i think he sounds great throughout.
For me, the high point of the album is the last
1:30 or so of OOTS--one of the most amazing things I have ever heard these guys do. Bono's full throttle emotional vocal combined with Edge's driving guitar to end that song is really beautiful and uplifting.
I also really like One Step Closer--it has a subtle and beautiful ambience that i fell in love with right away.
for those unhappy with the album, i hope you change your mind and start enjoying the songs more, but if not.......
one love, man.

FullonEdge2 said:
um...Eno produced One Step Closer, thus killing your point:wink:

ouch - my bad. Anyone know where there's a listing of who produced what? I was under the impression that Eno?Lanois didn't work on this one...

FullonEdge2 said:
um...Eno produced One Step Closer, thus killing your point:wink:

I just thought about this a second, and you know - I don't think my point is killed. My point is that the album has a lot of slow songs and a lot of instrunental interludes filled with VERY Edge-ish guitar riffs. There is nothing rocking, nothing new, nothing at all exciting about this CD. I've now played it for three other people and everyone had the same reaction (and one of them is a U2 fan that many, many people on this list know well but whose identity I shall keep under wraps so his email isn't bombarded) - it's terrible. I just don't get how people on this list are so into an album full of songs that just wander around pointlessly. It's like U2 remembers how to play their instruments, Bono remembers how to sing, yet they forgot how to write well constructed songs. The three exceptions are Vertigo, Original of the Species, and All because of you - a track I can't listen to without hearing Rick Ocasick's voice... Am I just a miserable bastard longing for the next Achtung Baby???

To all the dissapointed: you aren't all buffaloes like us.

But I'm rather a happy buffalo on my 35th complete listen.

Only dissapointment is OSC.

Otherwise here's to replaying the optimistic "elevator music."
I can't wear leather pants like you rockers forever!

But then how many of us will sound this good @ the boys' ages. Sorry I moved on & don't want to keep waiting for another AB.

:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom