MERGED-->Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Just finished a first listen...random thoughts)

The album is only slightly more rocking than ATYCLB......so I'm kind of shocked that people are all amped up.......less melodies, weaker songwriting, etc.....there's some definite standouts.....particularly the first three songs....it sounds a lot like Coldplay....I like Coldplay, but ATYCLB is a million times better than any of their stuff....Bono is very condescending on this album......I know others have complained about it before, but it's really obvious here that he acts like he knows EVERYTHING....I dunno...

So far.....it's a good album. I'd give it a 6/10 from the first listen....I'm sure it will grow on me and later and the score will jump, but it's definitely not the masterpiece that ATYCLB was. Edge's guitar work isn't that great either.....it sounds a lot like other groups most of the time, yes there's more guitar than usual at times, but it's not nearly as innovative as it was on Boy or any of the other previous records.....

Here goes the second listen. :wink:

Hola amigos :wave:

Well, with a close friend we did something different. We had a sort of "press album preview". First we downloaded all songs, and then we were sharing and discussing the feelings about the album by MSN, and finally we created a review from the whole album that will appear soon on www.amazon.co.uk ( you can rate the album now there !! ) :yes:

Well, sometimes is better to be quiet and not talk to much, isn´t it Bono ?. How many times have you listen any artist saying "this will be the best record ever made" and things like that before ?. Since Pop, in 1997, U2 has used to say the same thing to their new album, and that the reason why I didn´t believe at all those wonderful Bono´s words about this new album. I have so many ideas about reviewing this album, so I have to order in my mind now...well, here I go.

First, an overall review, and second, a song by song one.

This album is near 50 minutes long, intended as a "singles album", not as a concept album or any other art form. So, to some extent, is pretty ATYCLB ( one of the worst U2 albums ever ), that´s quite dissapointing. I don´t know why U2 can´t make a more art and interesting album, with so many things happening now, like War on Iraq, some U.S scandals like Torture on Iraq, relationship between Saudi Arabian and Bin Laden´s family, civil war in some countries in Africa, Mid East, the fall of United Nations after Bush´s wish to go war, etc.
Is bassicaly a nice collection of songs, but quite empty and lack of deep, interesting and unexpected moments, etc. Sometimes is pure Rock, and sometimes in slower. Is not Techno at all, also isn´t Punk at all. The overall sound is flat, I mean, if you compare ( for example ) Bono´s voice sound is pretty the same on every song, unlike many truly awesome records like Radiohead Ok Computer, Pink Floyd The Wall, Led Zeppelin IV, John Lennon Plastic Ono Band. Sound mixer wasn´t very smart. The same thing happen with Edge´s guitars, when they´re distorded sound pretty the same on every distorded chords, and then they´re delayed, sound pretty the same too. By the way, Edge is not so creative on this album, I mean, all his guitars are great ( like always ) but you can´t find his whole new guitars used on Boy, Unforgettable Fire or Acthung Baby. Many guitars sounds like ATYCLB. Larry´s drums and Adam´s bass are really filler !!!, I mean, you can´t find any such a classic bass like Pink Floyd Money or Another Brick In The Wall, any classic drumming like The Police Message In A Bottle or Roxanne, etc. Truly bad, they seem to be just a boring musicians, without any ideas. The whole album are just Bono, The Edge and some keyboards and strings.
After listening the whole album, is clear Bono´s voice will never returned back to Zoo TV times. Is pretty the same singing than ATYCLB, sadly, that´s the true. You can realize how he has to "fight" with his voice to reach higher notes.
For my overall view, my rating is 6/10.

Song By Song:

1- Vertigo: Just a Rock song, nothing more. Absolutely empty and pointless song, silly lyrics, flat sound, etc. The Jacknife Remix has so much interesting moments than the "master" version. Bono´s voice should have sounded like Jacknife Remix. Also is a short song, just intended for a hit single. You can´t find any deep messages on this song. 5/10

2- Miracle Drug: What an improvement !!! The best song of the album. Great melodies, great guitars, Bono´s voice at the best of the whole album. Is a mid-tempo song, and will be a classic.
10/10

3- Sometimes You Can´t Make It On Your Own: A typical mid album song, and pretty ATYCLB one. Is very nice, a ballad, with many high guitars and almost no drumming. Nothing to compare with classic ballads like All I Want Is You, One or With Or Without You. Bono´s voice is pretty crappy. 5/10

4- Love And Peace Or Else: What the hell is this ? is this U2 trying to make Pink Floyd´s Money or what ?. If that so, they shouldn´t have done those awesome and classic Gilmour´s guitars. A really filler song, the worst of the whole album. Skip the track, the song turns boring and boring. For the first time, Edge is wrong with his guitars, except on the middle "quiet" part. The only good thing is the ending, should have been longer and with a real guitar solo. Again, Bono´s voice should have sounded different. What a crap was the sound mixer !!.3/10

5- City Of Blinding Lights: Again, another classic of the album. Beautiful song, really great and worth listen. I love it, really love it. Most of the time, when Bono and Edge sing the chorus is something unforgettable and great. That piano like Boy times is cool. Bono sounds far better not trying to reach those impossible high notes for him. The longer song of the album and one of the best. Well done U2. 10/10

6- All Because Of You: Nice song, so many guitars, between acoustic and electric ones !!. Another song singing in a dual voice style, cool and fresh. The ending is pretty Rattle & Hum song. I know you´ll like it. 9/10

7- A Man And A Woman: Unlike the previous song, this song stars pretty simple in its instruments. Is one of the most different song of the album. Nice instruments, except for boring Larry´s drumming...why he is so lazy on this album ?. I think it would have been better a somewhat Peter Gabriel´s drumming programming.
The song is really good, but in this version turns somewhat boring, really. 7/10

8- Crumbs For Your Table: Another dual voice style song, also another highlight moment on the album. Edge´s guitars lead the song, and AGAIN Larry and Adam are so lazy...please guys, if you can´t play better than this, leave the band and give a chance for younger and far better drummers and bass players !!!. Another "long" song ( if long is 5 minutes running ). Another song could have sounded pretty different, but is still good. Remains me to some extent ATYCLB Walk On. 8/10

9- One Step Closer: The 3rd quite song ( since A Man And A Woman ) makes the album less interesting, really. Basically, a Keyboards song, with almost no drums and few guitars. Another low point of the album, it seems to be a filler song. 4/ 10

10- Original Of The Species: Many chords used on this song, that´s weird, because sometimes is great and sometimes y bad. In The chorus is great, anyway, as well during verses, but in the brigde is bad. Overall is another quite song, making the B-side of HTDAAB clearly lower than the A-Side. Again, Edge´s guitars are the best of the song. 6/ 10

11- Yahweh: After 4 songs somewhat boring if you listen one after another, this one could have put between those ones. Is the last song of the album and ( again ) is a dual voice style. Nice song, but is not a classic. Bono´s voice is not his best. Is not an ending like All I Want Is You or Love Is Blindess. When I´m listening this song, I want to put again the highest points of the record, Miracle Drug and City Of Blinding Lights.
6/ 10

Now is your choice to buy it, but one thing I´m sure of: this is not the U2´s masterpiece. Is nice, but is not their best
:sad:

Last edited:
Ponkine!!
5/10 to "Sometimes"?....But! Have you really heard to this awesome gem?!?! Guess you were sleeping...
"Sometimes": one of the best moment from u2 at their best!!!...masterpiece!!!!

Ponkine and Phaser would make a dynamic duo me thinks. That you had the nerve to post that on Amazon!:rant: Oh well, at least the others will get a chuckle out of your review!

Lo-Fi said:
It's hard to tell right now as I've only played it once through so far, but the signs are good. It has flashes of U2 of the past but they don't dominate the record. COBL and ABOY actually really surprised me, I wasn't too taken with the live versions, but now I've heard the studio versions I'm really taken with them ABOY is excellent, the back section is just so raw sounding.

Miracle Drug is another one that surprised me, that song really goes somewhere, just drives along. SYCMIOYO is a little gem the vocals in the chours are stunning, very emotive.

There's some sleepers on here as well, Man and A Woman is really gonna grow on me (reminds me of an old U2 b-side from the TJT era, can't remember the name right now, Bono sounds like he's 20 on that song).

Crumbs From Your Table is gonna be another sleeper as well.

There's a ton of melody in this record as well, I don't know why it'd been stated there was no melody vocally, plenty of it there in my book.

Right now, I'd agree with the 4/5 rating.

I believe you mean "Party Girl". You have a good ear. :yes:

You guys say "dual voice style" or "two voices" like it's a new thing.

It's called harmonizing. It's been around even before the Beatles. :eyebrow: And that probably is an understatement.

VertiGone said:
Ponkine and Phaser would make a dynamic duo me thinks. That you had the nerve to post that on Amazon!:rant: Oh well, at least the others will get a chuckle out of your review!

HEY WAIT A MINUTE !!!! DON´T SHOOT ME :( :sad:

I didn´t make this review alone, some songs are most me and some other ones, my friend. Sometimes You Can´t... was 7/10 for me and just 3/10 for him ( he really Hated ) so most of the songs are an average, not a single opinion alone :ohmy:

ponkine said:

I didn´t make this review alone, some songs are most me and some other ones, my friend. Sometimes You Can´t... was 7/10 for me and just 3/10 for him ( he really Hated ) so most of the songs are an average, not a single opinion alone :ohmy:

And you feel compelled to post a fairly shit review on Amazon? What exactly do you get from that? Hurting U2?

I'm not sure I understand the motivation behind posting it on Amazon? So that other people don't buy the album, that btw you haven't even paid for yet?

I don't quite understand this.

ponkine said:

:shame: ...................................... :wink:

Ponkine, no one is shooting you, but you are the one who said the album would be bad because Vertigo was short and the album had only eleven songs so the album as a whole would be short and thus a bad album. (This was like two months ago mind you) So sorry if i take what you say with a grain of salt or two. :wink:

Hey guys!

Great discussions so far! Be sure to give your permission to be quoted - only a few of you have so far. Thanks!! :wave:

"A typical mid album song, and pretty ATYCLB one."

OMG Ponkine!!!!Are you and your friend joking!!!This is a typical masterpiece and mothing of it reminds to any best moment of ATYCLB.
Bono's voice crappy???Maybe your ears are not well washed!!! You both need a cottonfioc!!!
Respectfully...

I think I've calmed down enough (but only slightly!) to make a more level-headed review. :)

VERTIGO (8/10) - The words "Turn it up loud, Captain" are very fitting. This song simply oozes loud guitars, drums, and bass. It's one of U2's catchiest songs since Beautiful Day - you'll be bound to be screaming "Hello, hello!" wherever you go. Bono is also on top form, hitting notes that I can't even hit. And I'm female.

MIRACLE DRUG (15/10) - This song, simply put, is U2's best since One. It starts off softly, then builds up to a crescendo of guitars and drums. The lyrics - and Bono's delivery of them - are perfect. And watch out for Edge's turn at the microphone after his solo at the three minute mark. :) Miracle Drug gives me shivers. And judging from the posts at this forum, it has even moved grown men to tears. It is perfection.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN (9.5/10) - You'd think it would be difficult to top the high felt after Miracle Drug. Not so, with this song. While it isn't as good as Miracle Drug, it tops anything from ATYCLB. Hands down. There's a wonderful falsetto during the chorus - "And it's you when I look in the mirror, and it's you when I don't pick up the phone." Like Miracle Drug, it builds up perfectly. At the three minute mark, The Edge rips into a beautiful melody, which gives way to the most goosebump-inducing section of music I've ever heard U2 write. This song is almost perfection.

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE (10/10) - This is undoubtably my second favourite on the album. It starts off with an industrial-sounding growl of what could either be a synthesizer or a guitar put through some heavy effects. It's basically Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop, rolled into one along with something completely unique. This song is a monster. The beat (which is heavily influenced by blues) is incredibly catchy. You'll find yourself bobbing your head along until the point where the song meets its bridge at about 3:30. There's some beautiful echoing guitar in this section, until it goes back to the industrial growl. There's an awesome build-up to a fantastic Edge solo, which ends the song. The best rocker on the album

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS (10/10) - Classic U2, through and through. The intro starts off with the heavily delayed, echoing guitar we've grown to adore over the years. Larry's drumming and Adam's...well, bassing we'll call it, drive the song along and give it a bit of an 80's feel. The verses are great, but the real highlight of this song is the chorus. It's the biggest anthem U2 have had in a long time. You can bet that this one will be played BIG TIME on the tour. Whenever I try to imagine a crowd of thousands singing along with the band to this one, I almost get moved to tears. Brilliant song.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU (9/10) - Another rocker. The beginning starts off with a very cool guitar piece that reminds me of "Wire" sped up. The verses are EXTREMELY catchy. In fact, I think the lyrics on this one stuck out more than on any other song. There's not much I can say about it, other than the fact that the entire band rock out hard on this one. :) There's a great solo from Edge on it, which comes prior to a scream from Bono!

A MAN AND A WOMAN (8/10) - I can't compare this to anything U2 have done before. It almost has the feeling of an 80's song (in terms of the drumming) mixed with Latin-sounding acoustic guitars. Adam's work on this one is stunning. It doesn't hit you at first, but if you listen to it through headphones, you'll see what I mean. Overall it's a very good song.

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE (9/10) - I honestly can't see how some magazines rated this one as low as they did! It's a fantastic song with an infectious beat, great guitars, and very good lyrics. It's one of my favourites from the album, actually.

ONE STEP CLOSER (7.5/10) - The only reason why I ranked this one a little lower, is because it isn't as catchy as the other songs. However, it's an absolutely beautiful song. It reminds me a little of Miss Sarajevo at the beginning. There's some wonderful strings in this one, and some great, subtle drumming from Larry. Oh, and the lyrics? Wonderful.

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES (8/10) - Great song with a wonderful chorus. Bono hits some amazing notes on this one. Edge also shines on this one in sections.

YAHWEH (9/10) - This is one of, if not THE best closers U2 have ever done. Bono's range is great! The lyrics are fantastic, the music is fantastic...EVERYTHING is fantastic.

Overall, I give this album 10/10. U2's third masterpiece, no doubt about it.

Oh, and you have my permission to be quoted. :)

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
I think I've calmed down enough (but only slightly!) to make a more level-headed review. :)

VERTIGO (8/10) - The words "Turn it up loud, Captain" are very fitting. This song simply oozes loud guitars, drums, and bass. It's one of U2's catchiest songs since Beautiful Day - you'll be bound to be screaming "Hello, hello!" wherever you go. Bono is also on top form, hitting notes that I can't even hit. And I'm female.

MIRACLE DRUG (15/10) - This song, simply put, is U2's best since One. It starts off softly, then builds up to a crescendo of guitars and drums. The lyrics - and Bono's delivery of them - are perfect. And watch out for Edge's turn at the microphone after his solo at the three minute mark. :) Miracle Drug gives me shivers. And judging from the posts at this forum, it has even moved grown men to tears. It is perfection.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN (9.5/10) - You'd think it would be difficult to top the high felt after Miracle Drug. Not so, with this song. While it isn't as good as Miracle Drug, it tops anything from ATYCLB. Hands down. There's a wonderful falsetto during the chorus - "And it's you when I look in the mirror, and it's you when I don't pick up the phone." Like Miracle Drug, it builds up perfectly. At the three minute mark, The Edge rips into a beautiful melody, which gives way to the most goosebump-inducing section of music I've ever heard U2 write. This song is almost perfection.

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE (10/10) - This is undoubtably my second favourite on the album. It starts off with an industrial-sounding growl of what could either be a synthesizer or a guitar put through some heavy effects. It's basically Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop, rolled into one along with something completely unique. This song is a monster. The beat (which is heavily influenced by blues) is incredibly catchy. You'll find yourself bobbing your head along until the point where the song meets its bridge at about 3:30. There's some beautiful echoing guitar in this section, until it goes back to the industrial growl. There's an awesome build-up to a fantastic Edge solo, which ends the song. The best rocker on the album

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS (10/10) - Classic U2, through and through. The intro starts off with the heavily delayed, echoing guitar we've grown to adore over the years. Larry's drumming and Adam's...well, bassing we'll call it, drive the song along and give it a bit of an 80's feel. The verses are great, but the real highlight of this song is the chorus. It's the biggest anthem U2 have had in a long time. You can bet that this one will be played BIG TIME on the tour. Whenever I try to imagine a crowd of thousands singing along with the band to this one, I almost get moved to tears. Brilliant song.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU (9/10) - Another rocker. The beginning starts off with a very cool guitar piece that reminds me of "Wire" sped up. The verses are EXTREMELY catchy. In fact, I think the lyrics on this one stuck out more than on any other song. There's not much I can say about it, other than the fact that the entire band rock out hard on this one. :) There's a great solo from Edge on it, which comes prior to a scream from Bono!

A MAN AND A WOMAN (8/10) - I can't compare this to anything U2 have done before. It almost has the feeling of an 80's song (in terms of the drumming) mixed with Latin-sounding acoustic guitars. Adam's work on this one is stunning. It doesn't hit you at first, but if you listen to it through headphones, you'll see what I mean. Overall it's a very good song.

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE (9/10) - I honestly can't see how some magazines rated this one as low as they did! It's a fantastic song with an infectious beat, great guitars, and very good lyrics. It's one of my favourites from the album, actually.

ONE STEP CLOSER (7.5/10) - The only reason why I ranked this one a little lower, is because it isn't as catchy as the other songs. However, it's an absolutely beautiful song. It reminds me a little of Miss Sarajevo at the beginning. There's some wonderful strings in this one, and some great, subtle drumming from Larry. Oh, and the lyrics? Wonderful.

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES (8/10) - Great song with a wonderful chorus. Bono hits some amazing notes on this one. Edge also shines on this one in sections.

YAHWEH (9/10) - This is one of, if not THE best closers U2 have ever done. Bono's range is great! The lyrics are fantastic, the music is fantastic...EVERYTHING is fantastic.

Overall, I give this album 10/10. U2's third masterpiece, no doubt about it.

Oh, and you have my permission to be quoted. :)

very good, but OFTS and Yahweh deservs 10/10

Every song on this album is great, every song!!! I've heard it so many damn times now, yes there are one or two touches of over-producing here, a bad vocal delivery by Bono there, but this is a masterpiece, simply stated. I give permission to be quoted too :wink:

Refering to the vinyl i think this is one of the best A-side they have been, very close to AB or TJT.The B-side loses something (OSC is the weakest song of the album) just because the A-side is too incomparable!
A truly great album in my opinion, surely better than ATYCLB...just remember 6 to 8 tracks of it and compare with HTDAAB...no comparision!!

I don't like it...
it seems to polished and to calculated...

well it's a matter of taste, but I'm sad because I listend to the album yesterday 10 times and than I returned to Snow Patrol and Interpol....

I'm a sad sad U2 fan right now, I hope that itwill grow on me but I just can't see this cd making me feel excited and happy as AB, Zooropa or POP made me when I first heard them... :(

This album is giving JT and AB a run for their money.

I think that's the best I can say about it.

Incredibly addicting! Totally U2.

Best closer they have ever had!

PHASER GIVES THE ALBUM 9/10!

Go to the u2tour forum and you will see a whole review!

(you can quote me)

Well bravo! This is the bands most consistant work since A Baby. It's only weakness is that I don't know that anyone part of it is particularly innovative. (There are afew bits but...) However, as a whole and considered simply on its musical merits, it's a kick. I've heard the whole thing probably three times and I love it. It's very big, with only a few understated slower tracks. I think its amazing that a band could come up with this so far in their career. I don't think it has been done. Most bands in their 40's are pretty washed up, and these four guys seem to really still want it.

There are plenty of track by track reviews so I'll just give my initial hilights then an overall rating and sign off.

1. Miracle Drug has a very classic U2 feel. Almost to the point of making me sad. Sounds funny, but it really makes me wonder why I can't hear music like this on my radio more.
2. Falsetto is back on a few tracks and I love it. SYCMIOYO is so much stronger because of it.
3. Edge has several great guitar moments. ABOY, LAPOE, stand out in my head.
4. Lyrics aren't what they were on A Baby, but they are much better than ATYCLB.
5. Adam's bass has more to say hear than it has in ten years.
6. COBLights is stadium monster.

Anyway, its a 9/10 and rising...

Marko said:
I don't like it...
it seems to polished and to calculated...

well it's a matter of taste, but I'm sad because I listend to the album yesterday 10 times and than I returned to Snow Patrol and Interpol....

I'm a sad sad U2 fan right now, I hope that itwill grow on me but I just can't see this cd making me feel excited and happy as AB, Zooropa or POP made me when I first heard them... :(

...Snow Patrol...Interpol...goodnight Marko!!...

CICOLO said:

...Snow Patrol...Interpol...goodnight Marko!!...

hey.... it's a matter of taste and nothing else...
good night...

why does anyone take it personaly when someone doesn't feel/think same as they do? it's sad :eyebrow:

If you are a U2 fan I predict that these songs will eventually grow on you. I wouldn't give up on the album for a few months if I were you. If then it still hasn't got you then that's cool. :)

Really guys, leave the disappointed fans alone; everyone's entitled to their own opinions. There's more to a fan board than endless ass-kissing and praise of every single song and album they've ever released. Me, I haven't heard it yet, so I hope I'll love it. But if not, that doesn't make me a bad fan. Just chill.

jay canseco said:
If you are a U2 fan I predict that these songs will eventually grow on you. I wouldn't give up on the album for a few months if I were you. If then it still hasn't got you then that's cool. :)

Well I hope so.... when I first heard AB I was a bit dissapointed (not this much but a little bit) and after 2 months it became my favorite album ever and it's still No.1.!
It's just that it seems to me a little bit "too nice"? I don't know how to say it, how to describe it....

there is one good thing - the songs that I dont "get" at the first listen are often the best ones after few months/years...

VertigoGal - thanx :)

Marko said:

hey.... it's a matter of taste and nothing else...
good night...

why does anyone take it personaly when someone doesn't feel/think same as they do? it's sad :eyebrow:

My apologies Marko but really i didn't want to offend you!
I fully respect your opinion and i just wanted to joke.
I'm sure this album will grow on you since it's the closest to the ones you prefer.
Pop probably could have been a masterpiece without the worst ever producer U2 have had..no more than a mediocre DJ..

Scuse me again

CICOLO said:

My apologies Marko but really i didn't want to offend you!
I fully respect your opinion and i just wanted to joke.
I'm sure this album will grow on you since it's the closest to the ones you prefer.
Pop probably could have been a masterpiece without the worst ever producer U2 have had..no more than a mediocre DJ..

Scuse me again

thanx... and I probably overreacted - not enough sleep, too much downloading and listening to "some new music" :)

all's good :) thanx mate...

Back
Top Bottom