MERGED --> Crumbs sound quality + Clipping during Crumbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing this thread has quite perked my interest. I have a fairly expensive stereo system, having worked in consumer audio for the last few years and I am currently doing a cd comparison between HTDAAB and ATYCLB. The first two tracks that I am comparing are Vertigo and Elevation, two similar tunes. Vertigo definitely on HTDAAB has the two characteristics that I always steered my audio customers away from..... Bright and Tinny sounding. If you listen to Elevation there is definitely a smoother more refined sound recorded on the album. I will be spending the rest of the night comparing the two albums now that you tech heads have me interested.

There definitely is an annoying popping noise in the first 15 seconds of crumbs. Wow, the albums is so bright and tinny compared to ATYCLB it's getting on my nerves as I listen and I'm use to listening to other material at reference levels..

tennispunk said:
I agree about the S'es --this tends to occur when using condenser mics, which pick up attacks really crisply. I have no idea why anyone would use a condenser mic on Bono's vox, but hey, maybe Flood knows something I don't. I've never used condenser mics on vox.

The clicking sounds like they didn't mix out the click track......and also, I think what you guys are mistaking for a harmonica is actually a synth, which Jacknife Lee gets credit for on the album.

something for the tec freaks...

tennis punk, if you`re claiming to be an engineer, have you ever heard of the words frequency range or dynamic range ? Maybe thats the things Flood knows...:eyebrow:

and by the way, if it would be the click track it`s completely out of time. think about it.

well if Flood was thinking of dynamic range, he needs to have his ears cleaned out. i think the entire album is mixed too fucking loud. range? what range?

but that's me.

dr.dae said:

something for the tec freaks...

tennis punk, if you`re claiming to be an engineer, have you ever heard of the words frequency range or dynamic range ? Maybe thats the things Flood knows...:eyebrow:

and by the way, if it would be the click track it`s completely out of time. think about it.

Clipping during Crumbs

Do we have any musicians or audiophiles around here? I cant believe i couldnt find a thread on this.

Listen to the intro to Crumbs. There's a popping sound that is similiar to cracks on a vinyl. It's either

1) A mastering issue - but doubtful as no other songs have this, and I doubt U2 would let this by QA

2) Edge's amp making that noise - most likely canidate

3) Larry/the band's metronome leaking through - but the 'clicking' appears to fall out of time, making this not likely

Actually, we have lots on this very subject. Check out the "flood should be fired for COBL" thread. (just for an example) It turned into a huge discussion on the mastering of the album. (since it's not actually Floods fault.)

Hehehe I love this topic. Yeah the album quality is crap. Apparently today they reckon LOUD is better.

I reckon I must just not have an 'ear for good/bad sound quality'. Cos' after listening to the whole album dozens of times, I still cant work out what you're all talking about!:wink:

tennispunk said:
definitely too much high end on this album......that seems to be a trend lately though, at least in stuff i've been hearing. and i might add, not a good one, i think engineers should be giving us more of the mid frequencies and letting overtones ring out, rather than trying to assault us with the upper frequencies.

while we're talking about recording problems, i really despise the drum sound on this album....what were they thinking!? ....too migh high end, again.

perhaps i'll write bono a letter: "dear bono. your current recording engineers suck balls. hire me for the next album. love, tennispunk"

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

It's a wonder I haven't wrecked my car because I am constantly jacking with the sound when I play this cd!! :yikes:

achtungbaby16 said:
I'm so glad other people are hearing the 'popping' noises at the start of Crumbs, i was gettting paranoid that it was a fault in my CD. There definately is a sound around 4:09 in Crumbs but i dont think its a harmonica.

If the sound is right after "Dignity passes by"... I thought it was a boat horn.

Are you saying that U2 wouldn't have the right, after listening and hearing some of the flaws, to say "oh no this will not do" and want it corrected? If so, why didn't they? Not wanting to delay the album or hoping not enough people would notice.. just curious, since I've read so much about U2 being perfectionist, etc.

What's the betting about three or four years from now they'll put out a "remastered version" that fixes some of these gripes.

I also noticed the popping noises. At first i thought it was either my CD or my cell phone interfering with the CD player at inopportune times.

I know what you mean about the harmonica, though I'm not sure that's what it is. it sounded to me like the reverberating twang that a musical box makes when the chimes slip off the pins. It actually doesn't bother me too much to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom