MERGED-->Crumbs from Your Table Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, not at all. I like this song (just as I like "Walk On" even after All That You Can't Leave Behind lost its magic for me), but it is basically an updated version of that song from four years back. Not really a bad thing, as many of U2's other songs have similar structures, themes, sounds, and about a million other themes (they're one, but they're not the same...you see?) in common. I do think that the song could've perhaps been a bit more adventurous, though...it sounds a bit too familiar upon first listen for my personal taste. Look to a song like "Gone" for inspiration, here: that could have EASILY been a typical U2 mid-tempo number (just like either "Crumbs" or "Walk On" or whatever else), but it wasn't. I just have a problem with this song (which I still like...!) in that it is pretty predictable...I would've dug it a whole lot more if it reached a bit.

I hear a definite Walk On similarity, especially the guitar that floats above the mix.

Similar - YES

BUT...this is light years better! It's missing the awkward lyrical lines in WO that make me cringe (i.e. "they can't steal it no they cant even feel it" or the chorus "walk on, walk on." It's just awkward to sing). Crumbs is just melodically a better song. And the guitars are not buried so deep in the mix that you can't hear them like in 'Walk On'.

I don't think its as bad in Yahweh and the extra notes and layers of guitars/ keyboards hide the One Tree Hill connection enough. However Crumbs from Your Table is just a little pronounced in terms of the riff/ solo. I wish they had changed it even if the purpose (i doubt it though) is to be self referential.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

CFYT is a guitar-heavy hybrid of Walk On and Electrical Storm.

The way this song ends with Edge's guitar and Bono kind of chanting in the background is brilliant....

Love the song.

As far is it "sounding" like Walk On...between 3:13 and 3:30 (depending on which version you've got) I can hear the Walk On change riff sampled 3 full times with a second guitar being played. On the fourth start of the riff Edge breaks out of it and Bono starts singing immediately. The sample is done with no vocals.

It's the change that starts at 3:02 on Walk On and runs for 11 seconds...

Now maybe it's just my two versions of the MP3s....but the Crumbs sampled piece starts EXACTLY as the Walk On piece finishes. And if I start the two at the same time they really do musically match up...which is very erie.

But I like conspiracy theories...

Its the edge...what did you guys expect it to sound like. In fact some of the album sounds like Pride, Exit and Trying to throw your arms around the world.

I will say the album does more for me than ATYCLB. Its more personal.

Crumbs is one of my favorite tracks by far.

Those music critics saying this was a B-side or whatever should be laughed at, If you haven't heard the album yet, this one is gonna be a nice surprise for you.

And Edge is classic Edge on this track and elsewhere. That's why you hear poeple say "so and so sounds like so and so". Whatever. He's Edge he sounds like Edge.

Well I havent seen the tab or bothered to do it myself, I'm much less conserned with Edge plagarizing himself than just enjoying a fucking good song. :)

CFYT is absolutely brilliant, one of the standout songs on the album.

You guys haven't talked much about the meaning of the song--IMO in addition to the amazing musical elements the other factor which greatly elevates this song to that standout level. The lyrics are absolutely genius, when you think about the subject matter.

This song is about the 1st vs the 3rd world, and the mockery that is aid to the 3rd world.

From the brightest star
Comes the blackest hole

*in a world of the wealthiest nations continues to persist the most extreme poverty*

You had so much to offer
Why did you offer your soul?

*the 1st world can do so much to help the third, but in reality offers nothing more than its soul, ie, promises/pledges/intentions*

I was there for you baby
When you needed my help

*i presume alluding to whatever moments the 3rd world has tried to help the 1st (anti-terrorism contributions, intellectual contributions, etc.)*

Would you deny for others
What you demand for yourself?

*genius line: 1st world denies what it considers necessities (health care, infrastructure, food, etc) to nations in need*

Cool down mama, cool off
Cool down mama, cool off

*perhaps referring to a mother cognizant of stark reality and angered over the selfishness of the 1st world and the unpromising future for her children*

You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other

*the 3rd world knows very well of the successes and triumphs of the 1st world, but needs more than just talk of it*

I would believe if I was able
But I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table

*the most obvious line: 3rd world would believe in all these promises but in reality is still waiting for merely leftovers from the 1st"

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see

*photo op of a western politician shaking hands with a 3rd world leader and the promise of help--everything looks nice and rosy*

Then your face caught up with your psychology

*external appearance finally reflected what was truly in mind, ie, action bared the true soul and intentions of the 1st world*

With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends

*the 1st world with a smile on its face proceeded to plunder and consume the resources of the 3rd*
-- as a sidenote, the added sinisterness of the low voice-over in "you at all your friends" is yet even more genius!!!

And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

*1st disregarded the 3rd and its promises to it, and went on thinking it will be ok*

But I need something other

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die

*another genius line, of course, self-explanatory, the essence of this song*

Three to a bed
Sister Ann, she said
Dignity passes by

*poor health care, dignity is not possible and is lost in these conditions*

And you speak of signs and wonders
I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table

So that is my analysis and why I think this song is genius. Lyrics are tremendously meaningful without be damned contrived and trite (a la POE).

The only thing I can't reconcile is the sound/feeling of the song. Overall it feels very positive, when you might think the subject matter is sad and negative. But actually right now as I'm listening to it, probably the more accurate and overwhelming description of the song is a feeling of *urgency* equally along with an earnest and *nonbegrudging hopefullness* for fulfillment of earlier promises. Quite a good characterization of Bono's work as well. GENIUS!!!!!!!!

I definitely hear strong similarities between Crumbs and Walk On in Edge's department....but I guess that's what we get when they work on a song while totally pissed......slurring away.

dgurjala said:
CFYT is absolutely brilliant, one of the standout songs on the album.

You guys haven't talked much about the meaning of the song--IMO in addition to the amazing musical elements the other factor which greatly elevates this song to that standout level. The lyrics are absolutely genius, when you think about the subject matter.

This song is about the 1st vs the 3rd world, and the mockery that is aid to the 3rd world.

From the brightest star
Comes the blackest hole

*in a world of the wealthiest nations continues to persist the most extreme poverty*

You had so much to offer
Why did you offer your soul?

*the 1st world can do so much to help the third, but in reality offers nothing more than its soul, ie, promises/pledges/intentions*

I was there for you baby
When you needed my help

*i presume alluding to whatever moments the 3rd world has tried to help the 1st (anti-terrorism contributions, intellectual contributions, etc.)*

Would you deny for others
What you demand for yourself?

*genius line: 1st world denies what it considers necessities (health care, infrastructure, food, etc) to nations in need*

Cool down mama, cool off
Cool down mama, cool off

*perhaps referring to a mother cognizant of stark reality and angered over the selfishness of the 1st world and the unpromising future for her children*

I need something other

*the 3rd world knows very well of the successes and triumphs of the 1st world, but needs more than just talk of it*

*the most obvious line: 3rd world would believe in all these promises but in reality is still waiting for merely leftovers from the 1st"

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see

*photo op of a western politician shaking hands with a 3rd world leader and the promise of help--everything looks nice and rosy*

Then your face caught up with your psychology

*external appearance finally reflected what was truly in mind, ie, action bared the true soul and intentions of the 1st world*

With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends

*the 1st world with a smile on its face proceeded to plunder and consume the resources of the 3rd*
-- as a sidenote, the added sinisterness of the low voice-over in "you at all your friends" is yet even more genius!!!

And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

*1st disregarded the 3rd and its promises to it, and went on thinking it will be ok*

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die

*another genius line, of course, self-explanatory, the essence of this song*

Three to a bed
Sister Ann, she said
Dignity passes by

*poor health care, dignity is not possible and is lost in these conditions*

And you speak of signs and wonders
I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table

So that is my analysis and why I think this song is genius. Lyrics are tremendously meaningful without be damned contrived and trite (a la POE).

The only thing I can't reconcile is the sound/feeling of the song. Overall it feels very positive, when you might think the subject matter is sad and negative. But actually right now as I'm listening to it, probably the more accurate and overwhelming description of the song is a feeling of *urgency* equally along with an earnest and *nonbegrudging hopefullness* for fulfillment of earlier promises. Quite a good characterization of Bono's work as well. GENIUS!!!!!!!!
GREAT job!! This song is one of the very best on the entire album....not bad for "b side material" according to many of those reviews...a song that reveals its genius gradually - and what genius! I really hope it's a single so people begin to talk about it on a large scale.

This song has so enveloped me that I can't stop playing it. The intensity in Bono's voice.. God he sounds so amazing and lyrically it's an amazing song. :heart: This guitar work from Edge blows me away. No one mailed it in on this song..:up: Larry & Adam and whoever else quite frankly, Jacknife Lee I suppose. It all works.
I don't give a flying f*** what reviewers say about this song.:confused: It's a single and even if it doesn't reach #1 that's not even important.
You have to hear this song. then repeat it. then you can't stop.
I promise you... if you don't like it .. I can only wonder what else do you want? :shrug:

OK ive waited quite a while to post about this song, because i couldnt really make up my mind about it. after listening to the song and the album countless times.... i decided i just dont like this track. without a doubt one of my least 2 favorites on the album. now i know theres plenty of people who love it and i guess i can understand that, but to me it seems bland and recycled (a less melodic version of walk on). for some reason i just skip it now everytime it comes on. maybe its because the rest of the cd is brilliant, i dont know. i just know i dont enjoy this song at all. just my 2 cents no jumping down throats here.....

Besides the obvious Africa motives, I really think this song is about Bono's critical attitude towards Church. He was telling this when he was explaining the song in the Q magazine("it was like getting blood from a stone") and the chorus really is reminiscent of that:
"You speak of signs and wonders"(as in preaching)
"But I need something other"(DEEDS to help the helpless).

This is my favorite song on the album. It has the most power, the best intro I've ever heard, and I believe it will be the best song live. I think it is this album's Until the End of the World (my fav off Achtung). The "dignity passes by" line hits right at home.

I don't think there is a weak track on the record. So to say this song is my favorite is really saying somthing.

I am a Christian and this song convicts me. The only reason God hasn't called me home yet is to bring more souls with me. But as we all know - it's rather difficult to share to Gospel (signs and wonders) with someone who is ravaged with hunger and illlness. You have to meet their most basic physical needs first (somthing other.)

If we can offer them what we demand for ourselves (idea taken from the best line on the album) - then I am sure we would find Africa, or any human being, more willing to "believe."

Back
Top Bottom