MERGED->Check out U2/Mary J Blige version of One on U2exit.com + Mary does it better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really know any MJB songs, but based on that performance, she has a really great voice. I'm not a big fan of all the little notes all over the place b/c the melody gets lost, but a lot of women do that, so nothing personal against her. Also, her voice and Bono's voice are so different, it kinda sounded weird with them together, but those are just nit-picky complaints. Hey, it was for a good cause! :up:

martha said:
Mary didn't do that with her voice.
So, what you're saying is, you haven't come here to play Jeeeeeeeesus?

It's called melisma, and yeah, she did it plenty.

(Oh, and why does Bono even bring a guitar out for that song? Does he know those things are for playing? Poor guy doesn't know what to do when he isn't running all around the place, so he wears a guitar.)

Hee! Dig the melisma font!

I listened to the MP3 of One today, and I liked it better than I remembered. She did melisma a bit, but it was tolerable, not like Mariah Carey conducting herself to her own song. Now THAT was some out of control melisma. :huh:

A day late but Finlands TV2 also broadcasted the Shelter from The Storm concert and I have to say that Ms Blige totally ruined the song! I mean, she wasn't even singing it in the right key! Bono was being the gentleman by singing along with her interpretation, and maybe with a little bit more rehearsal... but it was for a good cause and I can't even imagine what it must be like to lose everything in the corse of one day!? My heart goes out to one and all!:heart:

Okay, so maybe she was singing in tune/key but whatever tune it was that she was singing, she wasn't singing One as U2 meant to be sung but her own interpretation of the song. :yuck:

Last edited:
I think the performace was wonderful. It really moved me.I could feel that they sung that from the heart. I think Bono and Mary sounded great together. I will NEVER get tired of that song because it has so much meaning to me. I think the goal of the performance was to entertain and bring ppl togehter for the cause. I do not think it matters if Mary sung it a little different than what we are used to. BONO DID NOT MIND. Mary was NOT OFF KEY EITHER .U2 is very open minded and I think that they would want there audience to be the same way. Like Cassadra said there is nothing wrong with stepping out of your comfort zone.I totally agree with that.

Last edited:
Hallucination said:

That's bullshit! Your implying that your opinion is of a higher standard than those of us who didn't like the performance. I for one was one who admited she may be a strong singer technically but her voice does nothing for me. It's not unique and as far as my ears go there is no real heart or emotion involved. That's my opinion. Bono has heart and soul, he may not be a great technical singer like the others I've mentioned including Mary J but he gives the songs a passion that most other singers can't. It's why Johnny Cash's version of One is so stirring. He gave the song a new depth a new feeling to it, where as Mary J blige went out there and "hit the notes", That's it. I know a good singer when I see one, it doesn't mean I have to like it. I suppose it would've been great if Celin Dion sang the song.

Celine Dion is a good singer....

One is one of my favorite songs and it was a great version done by the two. The fact that Mariah, Whitney, Mary J, and Alicia Keys are being grouped as typical R&B voices and suggesting that they sing the same is pretty laughable. ALSO what we're seeing with Mary J Blige is interpretation. If she sang Bono-style it would have sounded awful.

I like how all the people who liked the performance are going, "You can dislike the performance all you like, but you can't say [different thing every time], or you're just an idiot with no taste."

Why not say what you mean and say, "I think everyone with a different opinion from mine is stupid"?

martha said:
Some of you guys wouldn't know a good singer if she came up and bit you on the ass.

From some of the post I have read this very well may be the case:giggle:

So what's up with all the name calling?!:mad: Isn't anyone allowed to have a different opinion on this forum without the fear of being lablelled "insane" or "stupid"?! Wouldn't it be a boring world if everyone liked the same things?!? I don't mind people that disagree with me but I resent being insulted just for having my own opinion about something!! Shame on you all! :shame: You know who you are!! :rant:

Back
Top Bottom