MERGED ----> Bono's first new album lyrics? + New U2 Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they got fucked up in translation, from the horses mouth:

Bono: Can't read my own handwriting. It's called "Thank You for the Day." [sings] "There's no storm on the seas. You're just bent over in the breeze. There's no midnight, please. You're just on your knees. There's a harbor and a safe port, but what was is now not. There was no price to pay. Thank you for the day.

that's got to be 'midnight pleas', right?

Last edited:
New U2 Songs

Anyone pleased to hear Bono mention the 8 new songs he has written in Africa for U2? Do u all like the lyrics he read for one of them?

SMB

I heard they're planning a cover version of Knees up Mother Brown. (with edge on slide guitar)

Oh, knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up, knees up, never let the breeze up,
Knees up Mother Brown

Bono can't write lyrics in Africa? :eyebrow:
Where the Streets Have No Name was written in Ethiopia :shh:

Okay, look at it this way. Most artistic creations (be it poetry, literature, music, or visual art) start out very rough, and must be polished and repolished until they shine.
I love the man, but personally, I think the lyrics suck. They sound like something a fourth grader would hand in for a poetry assignment. But then again, we're looking at them in their most raw stage. By the time they song hits the microphone (if it does at all), it'll have been polished up drastically.

Because really, Larry would never let Bono record something so stupid. Then again... the first verse of Wild Honey got recorded... :slant:

If you watch the interview...Bono basically laughs at just what he read out saying 'I don't know where I dig this shit up from'.....I don't think he believes any of it to be particularly good himself........

It was just a few scribbles:shrug: Just getting the idea down on paper rather than how it will actually be for the song.

LJT said:
If you watch the interview...Bono basically laughs at just what he read out saying 'I don't know where I dig this shit up from'.....I don't think he believes any of it to be particularly good himself........

It was just a few scribbles:shrug: Just getting the idea down on paper rather than how it will actually be for the song.

I read the transcript, that is exactly how I felt.
He seemed to only read them when Brian Williams asked him.

Not great lyrics, but I don't think anyone's rough draft is ever that good. Any of you write lyrics? It's not that easy, not on the first take. If he leaves them that way, well then we'll deal with it. :wink:

now we're whining about something that may not even make it onto the album?

Axver said:
We all know Bono can do better than this drivel.

What happened to the man who wrote One Tree Hill, The Fly, Wake Up Dead Man, Until The End Of The World, and Promenade? Sure, he never was a truly amazing lyricist, but he was often a good, solid one. Where has this knee fetish come from?

Actually, we don't know.

He's had the family/faith/friendship/mortality themes going now for two albums. He's been into his Africa activism since 1998 and shock horror, it's finding its way into his lyrics.

I certainly don't expect him to start going back to themes he had in the 90's and 80's.

(the "knee fetish" = a theme, praying obviously. remember the moon/sun/sex fetish he had on AB, or the sun/fire/sky fetish on JT?)
Interesting how no one minded Africa or kneeling prior 2000, aka the "real" U2.

Last edited:
:| jeesus people are still complaining about lyrics to a song that hasnt even been made yet?

shaun vox said:
OOTS was a great song but after you listen to it for a while it gets old and dated !!!

that's the problem with simple pop songs!!!
they die fast!!

yeah, who still listens to yesterday, can't buy me love, ticket to ride, day tripper, help, or the Beatles at all anymore?

That is so 1970s! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bet my life that those exact lyrics end up on an album. There's no need to get nuts. We all know those lyrics suck. Have no fear, he probably wrote them on the plane half drunk.

Shaun Vox - great to see you post some positive thoughts on U2 as usual.

Axl RULES !!21!! BAno suX !!211

Back
Top Bottom