MERGED-->Bono Time Magazine's 2005 Person of the Year - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:17 AM
For some reason on my satellite,DirecTv,I couldn't find the regular CNN channel to watch Bono

Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootomic

I haven't read that article, but I don't really care if people disagree with Bono. That's their opinion. But the problem I do have with many of them is that they can't just disagree with him, they have to be snide and nasty about it, like making remarks about it being foolish for some rock star to be involved in these important word issues. These people rarely ever acknowledge that Bono is widely recognized as a true expert on the problems in Africa. This leads me to assume that they either don't know about Bono's expertise which means they actually know little about the subject they are criticizing him about, or they do know but will not give him credit for his expertise which means they are simply jealous.

Anyway, congrats to Bono and Mr. & Mrs. Gates. They all deserve this honor.
Very true. I read the article since at a little Peace Corps reunion I had Friday night one of my friends mentioned it. My friend was ignorant of what Bono does as well.

I think a lot of people don't really know Bono's mission and message. They just make assumptions.

I think I should direct people to the DATA website. LOL!

also, Peace Corps' mission is very different from Bono's so I don't know what this guy is harping about.

Sigh!!!!

P.S. I hope everyone got the CNN Time Special countdown of sorts to the Person(s) of the Year!

Old 12-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Has anyone read the actual article inside it? I get Time tomorrow but I couldn't wait, there're pieces on both Melinda/Bill and Bono and Bono's really blew me away. Sometimes articles on him can get boring, but this was excellent and I never really understood how much he did.

(I have to admit, I was skeptical about him being "Person of the Year" ... but now I wholeheartedly agree)
Old 12-18-2005, 09:44 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 05:17 PM
I don't see why Miranda Gates is up there but Ali Hewson isn't?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thelaj
I don't see why Miranda Gates is up there but Ali Hewson isn't?
I hope you're not saying this just because she is Bono's wife!

What has she done?

I ask because I seriously don't know.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I hope you're not saying this just because she is Bono's wife!

What has she done?

I ask because I seriously don't know.
Feel free to refer to the link in my signature. She's done a lot: Greenpeace, Chernobyl Childrens Project, Shut Sellafield, EDUN, etc, etc.....

It would be interesting to see Bono and Ali there as a pair, b/c as much as Ali's "Bono's wife", she does a LOT of things that Bono doesn't have much to do with. However, I think the Person of the Year is kinda chosen from an American perspective, whether that's fair or not, and most of Ali's work besides EDUN isn't known here. Shut Sellafield and the Chernobyl Childrens Project are Irish things.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 AM   #52
The Fly

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Just Curious? Does anyone know where the photo/press shots of Bill, Melinda and Bono were taken? They were all over the news tonight, but is Bono at the Gates house in Seattle again? Where does he find the time...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lewis12
Just Curious? Does anyone know where the photo/press shots of Bill, Melinda and Bono were taken? They were all over the news tonight, but is Bono at the Gates house in Seattle again? Where does he find the time...
I think I read in there that they were shot in Omaha last week (I think on Friday), the Gateses came to where Bono was.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Good point about Ali, thelaj. Time would've had to run the idea of "Person of the Year" by the prospective winners to see if they would accept, get photo shoots, etc. Hopefully, this is what she preferred. In any case, I'm very glad to see Bono and the Gateses
recognized for their most important work!!!!! Enjoyed the CNN show last night, but it really only barely scratched the surface.