Merged --> Bono on Oprah + Hilarious Bono Quote from Oprah + ARGGGGHh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeVox

War Child
Hilarious Bono Quote from Oprah

this is one of the funnier things that Bono has said recently, I literally laughed out loud....

Oprah: So you can just pop into the pub, and it's no big deal?

Bono: Well, depending on the pub! In Ireland, people have an interesting attitude toward success--they look down on it. In America, you look
at the mansion on the hill and think, 'One day that will be me.' In Ireland, people say, 'One day, I'm going to get that bastard!'

Bono on Oprah - Discuss!

Hi all!

As many of you know, Bono will be on Oprah today. As this is a big deal, I wanted to start a thread to alleviate multiple thread creations - and we could all discuss/talk in one place! :)

So - post all of your thoughts here about the show, etc, etc,.. and we'll keep EYKIW neat and tidy together! :)

Enjoy! :wave:

~HA :angel:

Ahh... 10 minutes in.. What do you all think so far?

Nice montage at the beginning...

Nice live footage of past tours, etc...

Bono is just so beautiful. I admire him so much.

My cable keeps getting interference though (no pun intended), so I'm getting static in the background every few seconds...so much for havin' a nice copy on tape! :scream:

AARGHHHHH!!!!!:mad:
I live in Dayton, OH and you'd think we'd never...NEVER...had a thunderstorm before!
I am TRYING to watch Bono on Oprah, but storms are coming and the stupid big-headed weather guy keeps on cutting in to say "Gee, storms are coming." <grumble, grumble>

But what little I've actually been able to hear just makes me love Bono and what he stands for even more. I also feel like such a slug. I go through bouts of feeling like I can change the world. And then I "wake up" and feel like I can't do any good. And now I watch this and hear him say that we are "watching the people being put on the trains." It's a kick in the ass. So what in the world CAN we do as individuals? Where does sending in a check end and really REALLY helping begin?

And I love that so many more people are getting to hear him...and that he made sure to end the idea that he is some "Bleeding heart liberal" (Gee, I am one, but having that label puts a stigma on you that's hard to shake, so many people might listen to him more closely now). There is a whole new part of the population at home realizing that popular music is more than big cars and fancy clothes and "token" charity work.

OK, end of babbling. Must go run to tv now that weather man is done warning us of rain again!

good show, though kinda surprising how they had more commericals than programming in the last half.

enggirl, call your tv station and tell 'em every other station scrolls thunderstorm warnings over the bottom of the screen without interrupting the show and it's much much better.

Aarrrrggghhh!!!!!!!

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT.

I taped the oprah show via the timer and the tape recorded but THERES NO SOUND!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

why?why?why?

I must've had the mute button on by accident or something.......:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :grumpy:

I thought that Bono was incredible on the show. His message about his cause almost made me cry. He truely wants to make a difference in this world, and it starts with you and me.

Very well done ! Good balance by spreading it around among Tucker ? the 2 students ? the African woman with aids - and O?Neil. Looks like Oprah is on board. She may dedicate another show to these issues and repeat this one once she returns from visiting orphanages in Africa this Christmas. Bono was on the mark with his sincerity / conciseness and clarity / humor / etc. It seemed like a lot of musical clips but I love those video montages anyway. And I was thinking of their music ? lyrics ? performances and how much they do genuinely touch the human heart. The nature of his music if anything is a bonus and helps open the doors inside people?s minds because it is has an authenticity and it?s often powerful and meaningful. I was trying to imagine ? let?s say ? if Bon Jovi or Backstreet Boys or Ricky Martin ? etc. came on to speak on this issue and we had to watch their video montages. It?s good that MTV Diary with Bono has been pushed up to October thereby extending this campaign?s spotlight. What?s Bono up to in November ? How about a guest appearance and major story line in an episode of the very popular The West Wing ? It will interesting see how this affects Tucker?s movie playing a US President.

U2Soar said:
Very well done ! Good balance by spreading it around among Tucker ? the 2 students ? the African woman with aids - and O?Neil. Looks like Oprah is on board. She may dedicate another show to these issues and repeat this one once she returns from visiting orphanages in Africa this Christmas. Bono was on the mark with his sincerity / conciseness and clarity / humor / etc. It seemed like a lot of musical clips but I love those video montages anyway. And I was thinking of their music ? lyrics ? performances and how much they do genuinely touch the human heart. The nature of his music if anything is a bonus and helps open the doors inside people?s minds because it is has an authenticity and it?s often powerful and meaningful. I was trying to imagine ? let?s say ? if Bon Jovi or Backstreet Boys or Ricky Martin ? etc. came on to speak on this issue and we had to watch their video montages. It?s good that MTV Diary with Bono has been pushed up to October thereby extending this campaign?s spotlight. What?s Bono up to in November ? How about a guest appearance and major story line in an episode of the very popular The West Wing ? It will interesting see how this affects Tucker?s movie playing a US President.

:yes: Very much agree.
My favorite quote is "I'm not some wringing heart liberal with flowers in my hair! (I am) I come from PUNK ROCK"

:up: The show was so great! At one point my mom was like, "What's wrong with Oprah's eyes?" and I said, "It looks like she's been crying. I know I would be!"

I am just so relieved to know that there are truly kind, compassionate people out there like Bono. I admire him so much for wanting to make a difference in the world and using his celebrity in such a positive way.

:sad: Seeing the footage of all those beautiful children in Africa...We need to help them!!!!

it was a real interesting show. did oprah have to keep referring to bono as "superstar" and other things like that? it got kind of annoying. she was alright though. and yeah, i agree with whoever said there were a lot of commercials during the second half hour. that was a wee bit annoying too. other than that it was real informative and i am glad bono had a chance to elaborate more on why this is important and why he is doing it.

i hope that a lot of the people that think bono is annoying because he was in the news a lot watched this, maybe it will shut them up.

Last edited:
when does the oprah on oxygen thing come on? i think bono is going to be on that too, or is a replay of her regular show? i am not in the know!

thumbs up overall

i watched it, too. it was pretty good, though oprah did lay on the whole superstar thing a bit heavy as someone already pointed out. but i think overall, bono and oprah both came off very well and genuine, and i really think this should help DATA quite a bit. the demographic for oprah is one bono doesn't get to touch very much, and oprah is very well respected within that demographic.

one last thing. although i am a fan of chris tucker, i thought he went on a bit too far joking around there at the end of his appearance and it almost looked like bono was a little annoyed diverting the show like that!

namaste'
elfyx

:lol: Well, yeah, Oprah did go a little over the top with that whole "superstar" thing, but hey, she seems like she's another gushing fan. She'd been trying to get him on the show for a year!

hey that's cool! i didn't know oprah was a huge fan :love: like that! makes me smile, i really think the whole episode is going to be very good for the whole cause

namaste'
elfyx

http://www.datadata.org/

The after show thing was great. Bono was a lot less nervous and was able to get alot more details about DATA across.

SOO SMART. Some guy in the audience thanked him for being a genius. I'm sure he was talking about music, but hey I thought that was an incredible comment

After watching the Oprah show (which is a first for me), it reaffirms one thing for me:

Bono is the freakin' man.

I was very impressed at his knowledge on subjects, and more so at the way he presented his material...obviously, the man has a way about him that is electric, exciting, and amazing....and I got it on tape!

The show was terrific. I rarely watch "Oprah", but today was an exception :D.

Bono is definitely on my list of the coolest people ever to walk this earth. He's just amazing...the stuff he does over in Africa and with other charities and organizations and all that...it just floors me how dedicated he is. I truly admire that dedication and passion.

And my god, what an intelligent man he is, too! He's certainly been doing his homework-that impressed me.

I got very inspired watching this episode...I want to help this cause any way I possibly can.

I also loved the clips they showed of him in Africa during the show-those were so sweet to watch, he interacts so wonderfully with the people there (and now I'm really getting more and more anxious to see the "Diary" show).

One thing I thought was rather interesting and cool...Oprah would talk a little about his music and his celebrity status and his band or something, and he'd talk with her about that stuff for, like, a couple of seconds, and then he'd steer the conversation right back towards the problems in Africa...shows his modesty, which is a great quality to have.

I loved the quote the person who started this topic posted. One part of what Bono said really stood out to me, though, when he was talking about how much of our money goes to aid people and all that, and it was .1%...I was like, ":shocked: Are you serious?!?!" That was a rather disturbing thing to hear.

My parents saw the show, too-they were agreeing with Bono on everything he was saying. My mom said he's "a pretty neat guy". :D.

He's just such a sweetheart. I have tons of respect for him...and today's show just made my respect for him grow even more.

So, yeah: Bono=incredibly cool. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Angela

Last edited:
david said:
it was a real interesting show. did oprah have to keep referring to bono as "superstar" and other things like that? it got kind of annoying. she was alright though. and yeah, i agree with whoever said there were a lot of commercials during the second half hour. that was a wee bit annoying too. other than that it was real informative and i am glad bono had a chance to elaborate more on why this is important and why he is doing it.

My dad said the same thing about Oprah's referring to him as a "superstar" constantly, so you're not alone in that sentiment-I agree with you as well on that.

Originally posted by david
i hope that a lot of the people that think bono is annoying because he was in the news a lot watched this, maybe it will shut them up.

No kidding.

It's like I've said before, some people will sit there and complain about Bono rambling on about this stuff all the time...I figure, hey, these are problems we should be concerned about, first off, second, if someone's gonna bring this stuff to our attention, it might as well be him.

I think people who didn't really pay attention to these issues before got interested and started paying more attention after Bono spoke, too-I think he made a difference in some people's views during the show, which is great.

I love hearing what he has to say on these issues. I want him to continue to discuss this stuff with people-wake people up to these problems and inspire them to help out themselves. I want him to continue to fight the good fight with these causes. He has my full support in everything he's doing to help these people.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom