MERGED ----> Bono On American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Me too

Copy said:

i guarantee you, if bono was still the kind of person that would never participate in something like american idol, defensive u2 fans would be praising him for not wanting to be a media whore like that.

When was U2 not using the media, especially TV, as much as possible for promotion?

Re: Re: Re: Me too

U2girl said:

When was U2 not using the media, especially TV, as much as possible for promotion?

When did Bono appear on American Idol the last time?

But its not bono doing it to be a "media whore" as you put it, its bono doing it to gain as much bloody exposure as he can for a cause in which he belives in, is that such a bad thing? seriously? trying to make as many people as he can aware of this situation,

Headache in a Suitcase said:
JumpTheShark.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: BEST POST EVER!!!!!

Actually, I prefer the later years of Happy Days...:hmm:

My mom and dad got me hooked on reruns of that show.:reject:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

Copy said:

He appeared on Oprah, as well as plethora of TV shows with the band to promote their albums/tours. If they're "media whores" it didn't start now.

A TV show is a TV show. :shrug: It's about getting all the demographics.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

U2girl said:

He appeared on Oprah, as well as plethora of TV shows with the band to promote their albums/tours. If they're "media whores" it didn't start now.

A TV show is a TV show. :shrug: It's about getting all the demographics.

Exactly. And with AI you hit every one. People from 4 to 84 watch it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

Copy said:

He didn't, and he hasn't been announced to appear on it this time either. Go back and read the whole thread. His name was mentioned by that idiot Ryan Seacrest (shouted, actually) as the source of a quote. It was deliberately misleading, but not hard to figure out. Unless, of course, you choose to continue to believe this so you can still have ammunition for the ever-popular EYKIW Bono-slagging events.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

MrBrau1 said:

But isn't looking "cool" more important?

Oh yes.....God forbid Bono do anything mainstream. Excuse me, I have to go put on my skinny jeans and my Hawthorne Heights t-shirt and write dark poetry in my room. I'm SO anti-establishment. American Idol is nothing but a glorified karoake competition to promote the self-indulgence of the entertainment industry. Panic! At The Disco...now that's real music! "Life is a black hole pulling me down.....I cry black tears..." Bone-o is a sell-out! U2 is over.

:happy: :| :rolleyes: :eek:

Not directed at you McBrau, btw.

corianderstem said:

You know, I get the impression he knows he's going to get knocked for this stuff. But does it anyway, because he's doing something for the greater good of what he's working towards.

People are going to give Bono and U2 shit no matter what he does, so he might as well keep doing the things he thinks will work the best.

As he calls getting slammed for these type of things:

"MUDPIES"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

Headache in a Suitcase said:

That's hot :drool:

U2isthebest said:

Oh yes.....God forbid Bono do anything mainstream. Excuse me, I have to go put on my skinny jeans and my Hawthorne Heights t-shirt and write dark poetry in my room. I'm SO anti-establishment. American Idol is nothing but a glorified karoake competition to promote the self-indulgence of the entertainment industry. Panic! At The Disco...now that's real music! "Life is a black hole pulling me down.....I cry black tears..." Bone-o is a sell-out! U2 is over.

:happy: :| :rolleyes: :eek:

Not directed at you McBrau, btw.

Win Butler? Is that you?

I'm amazed at some of the selfishness in this thread.

I'm sorry some of you are "tired" of hearing about Africa, but millions of people are dying and something NEEDS to be done. American Idol is a ratings juggernaut and it would give the cause massive publicity. So while you may be "tired" of hearing Bono talk, there's others who NEED to be informed and others who NEED to understand that this isn't a problem that you can just ignore and it'll go away. This is serious and it needs to be dealt with.

But sorry, you want your rock frontman to do something cool as opposed to something good. Gotcha.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

elevated_u2_fan said:

That's hot :drool:

Win Butler? Is that you?

My original post was sarcasm....I'm sure you got that though.:wink:

No sadly, Win is sitting in a darkened room right now writing about tortured kittens and how success is actually a drain on society.

The John Tree said:

I'm sorry some of you are "tired" of hearing about Africa, but millions of people are dying and something NEEDS to be done. American Idol is a ratings juggernaut and it would give the cause massive publicity. So while you may be "tired" of hearing Bono talk, there's others who NEED to be informed and others who NEED to understand that this isn't a problem that you can just ignore and it'll go away. This is serious and it needs to be dealt with.

But sorry, you want your rock frontman to do something cool as opposed to something good. Gotcha.

I'm not pointing at anyone here, but this is how the majority of the American public thinks, and it makes me sick. We are the most unbelievably selfish nation on the planet with all our wealth. Once again, I'm talking about America in general. I know many people who work constantly to improve the lives of others.

The John Tree said:

THANK YOU. What a great way to get the information out to the widest audience possible.

Well whoever is tired of it can stop listening/watching, can tune it out and just listen to U2 on their iPod if they're still interested. Unfortunately people in Africa can't flip a switch and stop living it.

The John Tree said:

I have to agree with you. I'm amazed at the constant cynicism from so many people on this board.

I guess many of you are just "too cool" to care for people less fortunate. Or would you care if it wasn't Bono was trying to get Africa on everyone's mind?

The John Tree said:

:applaud:!!

:lol:

You all assume that because I mock Bono over this that I don't care about Africa.
I've done my part, really, I have. But you have to admit that U2 fans in particular get overindulged in this material. I hear about it on their website, on this forum, in the news, on Oprah, at concerts, in the middle of songs, at the end of music videos, etc etc etc.
Secondly, I watch American Idol anyway and I never said I had a problem with him being on the show. I think that's how the majority of us mockers feel. If he wants to parade the issue on television, then that's awesome.

I will quote myself:
PlaTheGreat said:

Back on topic before we get :madwife: , I don't think it's a bad thing for Africa to get all the publicity it can get. For the remaining 15 people in America that haven't heard about the African plights, it will be a nice, gentle crash course.
For the other 275 million people that HAVE heard it before, it will just be another, "Oh God, here we go again..." thing.

The great marketing scheme here is that people will be voting for AI on that night anyway. So they'll get a little message saying, "Thank you for helping Africa!" and then they will all scream, "Dammit! How did I get conned into helping Africa...AGAIN?"

Sarcasm... :drool:
I thought you guys would have developed that infamous Irish sarcasm after spending all this time listening to U2.

Some of you guys seriously need to develop a sense of humor.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too

biff said:

He didn't, and he hasn't been announced to appear on it this time either. Go back and read the whole thread. His name was mentioned by that idiot Ryan Seacrest (shouted, actually) as the source of a quote. It was deliberately misleading, but not hard to figure out. Unless, of course, you choose to continue to believe this so you can still have ammunition for the ever-popular EYKIW Bono-slagging events.

Damn you Ryan Seacrest, this is all your fault :madwife: .

PlaTheGreat said:

The great marketing scheme here is that people will be voting for AI on that night anyway. So they'll get a little message saying, "Thank you for helping Africa!" and then they will all scream, "Dammit! How did I get conned into helping Africa...AGAIN?"

See, I think of this as big con to finally get me to vote for American Idol :shifty:.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well whoever is tired of it can stop listening/watching, can tune it out and just listen to U2 on their iPod if they're still interested. Unfortunately people in Africa can't flip a switch and stop living it.

:bow:

Could we not insult each other in this thread, please? Debate is fine, but keep it civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom