MERGED ----> Bono On American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PlaTheGreat said:
I've gagged on Africa. :drool:

...that's what she said.

4205.jpg

GibsonGirl said:

I'd spit out all future offerings if I were you. :yes:

I won't even receive them anymore.

Back on topic before we get :madwife: , I don't think it's a bad thing for Africa to get all the publicity it can get. For the remaining 15 people in America that haven't heard about the African plights, it will be a nice, gentle crash course.
For the other 275 million people that HAVE heard it before, it will just be another, "Oh God, here we go again..." thing.

The great marketing scheme here is that people will be voting for AI on that night anyway. So they'll get a little message saying, "Thank you for helping Africa!" and then they will all scream, "Dammit! How did I get conned into helping Africa...AGAIN?"

I said late last year in a Bono/preaching thread that 2008 will be a year he takes a dive. I hate to say it, but I think just a couple of months into the year and my prediction is on track. The perceived failure of Red, the tax breaks etc all look pretty bad. I read more hammering him now than supporting him. It's not being pessimistic or wanting to see it happen by any stretch, but I reckon he's going to get taken down about 10 pegs this year.

Bono on American Idol hey.... wow.

LemonMacPhisto said:

is it from all of the Africagagging?

That, and the fact that I never realised my country of birth turns into a perfect phallic symbol with a simple 190 degree counterclockwise turn.

Earnie Shavers said:
I said late last year in a Bono/preaching thread that 2008 will be a year he takes a dive. I hate to say it, but I think just a couple of months into the year and my prediction is on track. The perceived failure of Red, the tax breaks etc all look pretty bad. I read more hammering him now than supporting him. It's not being pessimistic or wanting to see it happen by any stretch, but I reckon he's going to get taken down about 10 pegs this year.

Bono on American Idol hey.... wow.

You know, I get the impression he knows he's going to get knocked for this stuff. But does it anyway, because he's doing something for the greater good of what he's working towards.

People are going to give Bono and U2 shit no matter what he does, so he might as well keep doing the things he thinks will work the best.

And upon watching it in the west coast broadcast, he didn't say Bono would be on the show.

"and Bono has said blah blah blah African Idol something something."

So everyone, stop getting your grundies in a bundle.

Britney Spears will be a judge and that's how Bono will save her life.

*cue How To Save A Life*

Thus, Bono saves the world.

GibsonGirl said:

That, and the fact that I never realised my country of birth turns into a perfect phallic symbol with a simple 190 degree counterclockwise turn.

I can relate.

I live in Florida, the penis of America.

PlaTheGreat said:
Britney Spears will be a judge and that's how Bono will save her life.

*cue How To Save A Life*

Thus, Bono saves the world.

Bono and Chris Martin sing an acapella Fix You to Britney Spears.

Paula's so coked out she has no clue what's going on.
Randy sets the world record for the most awkward use of ebonics ever.
And Simon's head explodes.

Well. It is a ratings monster. It is a show that reaches millions of people. It just seems like another medium for him to use in order to aid his cause.

david said:
Well. It is a ratings monster. It is a show that reaches millions of people. It just seems like another medium for him to use in order to aid his cause.

Thank you
I'm more freaked out that so many are freaked out.

I've long given up on being surprised at what Bono does.

and yet I'm still amazed at just how many people he does manage to reach out too.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5387596?source=rss

On Thursday's "American Idol," Fox plans to announce a fundraiser that should be a ratings hit as well as a canny PR move.
A two-night relief drive featuring Gwen Stefani, Josh Groban, Pink, Michael Bublé, Annie Lennox, Il Divo and Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen), titled "Idol Gives Back," will raise money for youth living in extreme poverty in America and Africa.

Sponsors including Coca-Cola, Ford and AT&T will donate money corresponding to the number of votes for favorite singers on the April 24 and 25 telecasts.

The money raised will equally benefit the U.S. and Africa. In the U.S., the money will be distributed via Charity Project Entertainment Fund (CPEF) to Save the Children and other U.S. organizations.

U2's Bono, co-founder of the One Campaign to Make Poverty History, was quoted as saying, "We'll see worlds collide when Africa appears on America's most-watched TV show. This is a big deal, a little bit of pop history ... I wouldn't underestimate the reach of this show or the impact its audience can have."

(edited to add link)

Last edited:
Haha, I was so looking forward to the rantings following the news. Some people are so predictable,.
Bono on AI - I believe it when I see it, really.
He does what he feels he has to do to reach out, and I am sure he knows it won't go down well with some people.
So what, B's having his way again, good for him.
He has the right connections, it's amazing how he can mobilize so many people and convince them of his causes.
Besides, he's not the only star said to appear at this show.
I won't get too hyped up about this nor being too negative. Who knows if he will really appear.

Me too

sue4u2 said:

Thank you
I'm more freaked out that so many are freaked out.

Never underestimate the umpteenth opportunity to whine about his activism. Or taking pot shots at him and gloat at the bashing he gets in the media.

:corn:

It's a way to reach a huge audience...plus, it's a singing competition, and he's a singer. Makes sense to me. :up:

I have not bought any (RED) stuff. I don't always follow all of the latest Bono/Africa news because there is so much of it, and I just can't keep up. However, he is working for a good cause, and I am not going to fault him for that.

i wonder what Simon Cowell thinks of U2? :hmm:
prolly bitter they're not signed to his label :lol:

when is the Africa special on? a week before the finale?

Re: Me too

U2girl said:

Never underestimate the umpteenth opportunity to whine about his activism. Or taking pot shots at him and gloat at the bashing he gets in the media.

:corn:

i guarantee you, if bono was still the kind of person that would never participate in something like american idol, defensive u2 fans would be praising him for not wanting to be a media whore like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom