MERGED ----> Best band in the world--if not U2--then who? + best band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
radiohead continues to be one of the best bands because they make music on their own terms with no regard for reaching a huge audience. what's most amazing is that they still reach a huge audience, continue to sell a respectable amount of albums and sell out large venues across the world. this is with virtually no radio/mtv exposure (and no ipod commercials either . . . )

rh continue to be loved by hipster/indie kids while at the same time reaching a larger audience and getting exposure in media outlets other than pitchfork (time magazine, the ny times, etc) it's unbelievable that a record as challenging as kid a could debut at #1 on the charts (and this was in 2000, at the height of the teen-pop resurgence)

u2 will continue to be a bigger band, because they want (need?) to be. reaching the masses is important to them. since the (unfair) maligning of pop/pop-mart, just about everything done by u2 has been calculated to court a mass audience. rh has not reached for the mainstream, but the mainstream has come to them. from 1983 to 1997, u2 was probably the most vital act in music, but from 1997 on, i would say it is radiohead.

Looks like I might be the only non-Aussie in the forum to say this, but Midnight Oil were, hands-down, the best band in the world.

I caught on to them when "Diesel & Dust" hit the States, and worked my way backward to their 1970s work, and then forward through their most recent albums, and I've never encountered another band that matched their level of musical virtuosity and energy (and sheer ferociousness onstage). And, I say that as a die hard U2 fan since '87. In fact, it was the one-two punch of "The Joshua Tree" and "Diesel & Dust" that inspired me to pick up a guitar and start my own band.

As was previously stated by a couple of posters, the Oils recently broke up. But, the music lives on, and I highly, highly, highly recommend their work to all U2 fans. Especially guitarists. If The Edge is your idol, I predict that Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey will become second and third on your list. And, if the social consciousness and strength of spirit of U2 appeals to you, you'll find them in the Oils as well.

Also, you will never hear another group of singers in rock and roll band harmonize so beautifully. I mention that specifically because there will be those of you who won't like lead singer Peter Garrett's voice. If you can't take Pete right away, focus on the rest of them. They're incredible. And, while I love Larry, Rob Hirst is the best drummer I've ever seen in my life, anywhere, in any band (and is a great songwriter in his own right).

Before buying anything else, I would highly recommend picking up Midnight Oil's 1992 live album "Scream In Blue - Live" as a taster. It's almost like a live greatest hits album, featuring performances that spanned their career up to the point that it was released. I think it really showcases what made them a truly great band, both as songwriters and live performers. You also can't lose with their real greatest hits album, "20,000 Watts RSL", though it doesn't cover their final three releases.

That said, here are the releases that I think will immediately appeal to U2 fans, and standout tracks that won't let you down:

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (1983): Power & The Passion, Read About It, US Forces, Short Memory, Only The Strong

Species Deceases EP (1985): Progress, Hercules, Blossoms and Blood

Diesel & Dust (1987): The Dead Heart, Warakurna, Bullroarer, Sometimes, Sell My Soul, Dreamworld, Beds Are Burning

Blue Sky Mining (1990): Blue Sky Mine, Stars of Warburton, King of the Mountain, River Runs Red, Forgotten Years, One Country

Earth and Sun and Moon (1993): In The Valley, Drums of Heaven, Feeding Frenzy, Now or Neverland, My Country, Truganini, Earth and Sun and Moon

Breathe (1996): Underwater, E-Beat, Time To Heal, One Too Many Times, Sins Of Omission

Redneck Wonderland (1998): Redneck Wonderland, Seeing Is Believing, Cemetery In My Mind, The Great Gibber Plain, Concrete

Capricornia (2002): Luritja Way, Too Much Sunshine, Golden Age, Poets & Slaves, World That I See, Capricornia

I hope some people check 'em out!

Last edited:
stuTV said:
TOP Musical performers ALL TIME--

1. The Beatles
2. U2
3. Bob Dylan
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Grateful Dead

Top performers TODAY--

1. U2
2. Coldplay / Radiohead
3. Wilco

Up and Coming

Guster (give the gift of guster), The Strokes, Wilco (again), Coldplay (again), White Stripes

Heh Guster? No way. They're not bad at all, but I wouldnt include them at all in any up and coming list.

Replace Wilco with Death Cab for Cutie and take out The Strokes and replace em with Kasabian or The Libertines and you may be on to something :wink:

And you leave Led Zeppelin out of all time performers? Blasphemy.

Shade said:
Looks like I might be the only non-Aussie in the forum to say this, but Midnight Oil were, hands-down, the best band in the world.

I caught on to them when "Diesel & Dust" hit the States, and worked my way backward to their 1970s work, and then forward through their most recent albums, and I've never encountered another band that matched their level of musical virtuosity and energy (and sheer ferociousness onstage). And, I say that as a die hard U2 fan since '87. In fact, it was the one-two punch of "The Joshua Tree" and "Diesel & Dust" that inspired me to pick up a guitar and start my own band.

As was previously stated by a couple of posters, the Oils recently broke up. But, the music lives on, and I highly, highly, highly recommend their work to all U2 fans. Especially guitarists. If The Edge is your idol, I predict that Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey will become second and third on your list. And, if the social consciousness and strength of spirit of U2 appeals to you, you'll find them in the Oils as well.

Also, you will never hear another group of singers in rock and roll band harmonize so beautifully. I mention that specifically because there will be those of you who won't like lead singer Peter Garrett's voice. If you can't take Pete right away, focus on the rest of them. They're incredible. And, while I love Larry, Rob Hirst is the best drummer I've ever seen in my life, anywhere, in any band (and is a great songwriter in his own right).

Before buying anything else, I would highly recommend picking up Midnight Oil's 1992 live album "Scream In Blue - Live" as a taster. It's almost like a live greatest hits album, featuring performances that spanned their career up to the point that it was released. I think it really showcases what made them a truly great band, both as songwriters and live performers. You also can't lose with their real greatest hits album, "20,000 Watts RSL", though it doesn't cover their final three releases.

That said, here are the releases that I think will immediately appeal to U2 fans, and standout tracks that won't let you down:

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (1983): Power & The Passion, Read About It, US Forces, Short Memory, Only The Strong

Species Deceases EP (1985): Progress, Hercules, Blossoms and Blood

Diesel & Dust (1987): The Dead Heart, Warakurna, Bullroarer, Sometimes, Sell My Soul, Dreamworld, Beds Are Burning

Blue Sky Mining (1990): Blue Sky Mine, Stars of Warburton, King of the Mountain, River Runs Red, Forgotten Years, One Country

Earth and Sun and Moon (1993): In The Valley, Drums of Heaven, Feeding Frenzy, Now or Neverland, My Country, Truganini, Earth and Sun and Moon

Breathe (1996): Underwater, E-Beat, Time To Heal, One Too Many Times, Sins Of Omission

Redneck Wonderland (1998): Redneck Wonderland, Seeing Is Believing, Cemetery In My Mind, The Great Gibber Plain, Concrete

Capricornia (2002): Luritja Way, Too Much Sunshine, Golden Age, Poets & Slaves, World That I See, Capricornia

I hope some people check 'em out!

I've plenty of Midnight Oil in my day and they're no U2. They were good, but a bit one-dimensional to be one of the all- time greats IMO.

Back
Top Bottom