MERGED ----> Band Aid 20 hits the radio tomorrow + Band Aid 20 is a letdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard the clip of just Bono and it sounded cool, but in the context of the whole song, he sounds fuckin great!! What emotion in his voice, holy shit!

I like it!

LyricalDrug said:
I'm convinced that the "drama" between Bono and Justin is fake, and that the two of them dreamt it up just to drum up some hype for the single. Anyone else agree?

U2 are the grandmasters of elaborate marketing and promotional gimmicks. I wouldn't be surprised at all. As a matter of fact, I do agree.

Cheers,

J

U2_Guy said:
The "thank God" part sounds really hoarse...

The "instead" part sounds great. The "of you" hoarse...

First 1984 version sung by Bono was tons better...:huh:

From my understanding, this was all intentional. Bono didn't want to wail out that line again as he felt that we are more than aware of the problem, now is time for action. No need to scream about the injustice any more. Plus, he already did scream it out in '84. It does little good to scream it out again. Lastly, he said he wanted to whisper it and sound like Bruce Springsteen. He kinda captured The Boss's rough hoarse voice...

All that said, I think I prefer the original too.

I think Bono's part sounds good. But I could give a shit about this project. The work Bono does makes a much bigger impact.

This isn't a competition about whose charity is better than somebody else's charity, you know.

LyricalDrug said:
I'm convinced that the "drama" between Bono and Justin is fake, and that the two of them dreamt it up just to drum up some hype for the single. Anyone else agree?

I agree that the drama is fake, but I don't think that the two of them dreamt it up. I think the media dreamt it up.

Bottom line, Midge Ure wanted Bono to sing his line again and Bono accepted. There was never any doubt as to who was going to sing it.

I read this article on another U2 board and would have linked to the direct source, but I couldn't locate it. That's why I'm not sending it for print to the U2 news team:

IT'S BONO AID;
STAR BACK FOR CHARITY - BUT OLD GUARD SNUBBED

BY TINA CALDER

U2 STAR Bono will be the only original Live Aid artist to be asked to appear on the event's new charity version of Do They Know It's Christmas?'.

In an interview with the Irish People, co-organiser Midge Ure revealed how he HAD to have the millionaire singer involved.

The former Ultravox lead singer revealed how he was not including such megastars as David Bowie, George Michael and Phil Collins.

Instead a new generation of stars including Noel Gallagher, Coldplay and Travis will record a new version of the world's biggest-selling song.

Midge revealed: "Originally they wanted to re-mix the Band Aid song but I'm a purist and I told Bob (Geldof) just to leave it alone and said that I was happy to have it re-recorded.

"The first two people on board were Fran from Travis and Chris Martin from Coldplay.

"They're the new guys standing on the soap box and it seemed only natural to have them on board.

"We don't want the old crowd - Sting, George Michael, Bananarama.

"I think the only one we could have back is Bono, because who else could sing that line but him?

"And he will be the only person from the first time that we'd accept back."

Poignant

Midge believes it was Bono's famous line that was the turning point of the Band Aid song. And says he will never allow anyone else to sing it.

He tells the story in his autobiography If I Was of how Bono put his stamp onto the track and says it was so poignant that it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

He said: "When Bono came to sing he was really concerned about the meaning of his line Well tonight, thank God it's them instead of you'.

"At the time U2 were a middling successful band, certainly not
superstars, but he was not scared to query Bob.

"Why would I want somebody else to go through this?" he said.

"Bob was a real stickler for his words and what they meant and he had a very different angle on what that was.

"He told Bono, I'm not saying I want somebody else to suffer, I'm
saying I'm glad it's not you'.

"I had sung the guide vocal on the demo so that everyone could hear the melody. Until Bono, the singers had listened to my guide, put on the headphones and sung it in a parrot-fashion.

"I'd sung his line an octave lower but Bono decided to change it.

"He sang Thank God' and just leaped an octave and this huge voice erupted out of this little guy. I was standing next to him and I jumped. I felt as if I was standing next to an opera singer. That was it, one take. He just ripped it.

"That's why no-one else could ever do that line again. No-one would want to - how could they match him?" he said.

Despite his admiration for Bono, Midge revealed that if it wasn't for Boomtown Rat Bob Geldof he would never have got involved with such a huge project like Band Aid and Live Aid.

He added: "You just don't say no to Bob. I know that sounds silly but ask anyone - Bono, Sting, George Michael and they will all say the same thing, there's just something about him."

And although the pair still remain great friends 20 years on Midge said there were times when he was writing his book that he had to consult with Bob first.

He said: "There were many unresolved issues that came up when I was writing and one of the biggest ones was the recollection of the incident when Ultravox was swapped around with The Rats so that The Rats could play for the Royals.

"My issue at the time was why didn't you just come and tell me the truth, I'm Bob's mate, it wasn't Bob that did it, it was the people around him and it was just the underhanded way it was done that annoyed me.

"I was thinking - hold on here a minute, I co-wrote the song, I'm a trustee, don't lie to me, tell me what's happening - I didn't give a toss about who was where on the bill. The thing that annoyed me wasn't getting moved from the slot, it was being lied to and it angered me that people thought I was stupid.

"I knew nothing about it and when we had done our set and Bob was on I went straight to the bar to get a drink and suddenly all these journalists said to me how does it feel to be shafted' - they all knew about it.

"I even sent the book to Bob and put a little note just saying you
better check out the Live Aid chapter in there, there's a bit of
controversy. Just so that you're forewarned.

Gripe

"It didn't put a strain on our relationship, Bob doesn't give a toss
about all that stuff, that stuff is just irrelevant in his life like it
should be, it was just a gripe that I had at the time because I could see the way things were changing and how people around Bob changed too.

"I was getting edged out a bit and to be honest I didn't care because if it wasn't for him and his mad passion I would never have been involved with the phenomenon of Live Aid and Band Aid and for that I am truly thankful to him."

(c) MGN Ltd. 2004

Midge believes it was Bono's famous line that was the turning point of the Band Aid song. And says he will never allow anyone else to sing it.

He tells the story in his autobiography If I Was of how Bono put his stamp onto the track and says it was so poignant that it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

He said: "When Bono came to sing he was really concerned about the meaning of his line Well tonight, thank God it's them instead of you'.

"At the time U2 were a middling successful band, certainly not
superstars, but he was not scared to query Bob.

"Why would I want somebody else to go through this?" he said.

"Bob was a real stickler for his words and what they meant and he had a very different angle on what that was.

"He told Bono, I'm not saying I want somebody else to suffer, I'm
saying I'm glad it's not you'.

"I had sung the guide vocal on the demo so that everyone could hear the melody. Until Bono, the singers had listened to my guide, put on the headphones and sung it in a parrot-fashion.

"I'd sung his line an octave lower but Bono decided to change it.

"He sang Thank God' and just leaped an octave and this huge voice erupted out of this little guy. I was standing next to him and I jumped. I felt as if I was standing next to an opera singer. That was it, one take. He just ripped it.

"That's why no-one else could ever do that line again. No-one would want to - how could they match him?" he said.

deltau922 said:
OK really, am I supposed to have heard of any of these bands involved this time around? WTF is Justin from the Darkness? At least 20 years ago they had Duran Duran and George Michael, who were two of THE biggest stars of the time. The least they could have done is brought those guys back. This new version is like refilming the Godfather with the cast of American Pie and a 9-second cameo by Brando.

it has been made with people who are huge stars (rightly or wrongly) in the UK. If it had been, for example, an American project, no doubt it would have been made with big american stars. However, it's not. It's a British/Irish project. Hence the British/Irish singers :shrug:

Thanks for your post, BostonAnne. I'd never heard that particular story before. It's funny, that line that Bono sings always bugged me too - not the vocal, because I think he sang it brilliantly, but the words themselves. I guess I was interpreting it the same way Bono did initially, before Bob explained it to him.

its absolutely dreadful...

probably the worst remake ever, even more so than McHale's Navy.

the only bright spots are the piano and really Chris Martin's vocal, after that it turns to just a mess and a rushed piece of garbage

at least its for a good cause

Wow. Okay, I just heard it and that was so bad I could just vomit. Honestly, that was appalling. :barf:

I've never heard a song that I've cringed the whole way through before.

I feel traumatised. Woe.

Bono's shades said:
Thanks for your post, BostonAnne. I'd never heard that particular story before. It's funny, that line that Bono sings always bugged me too - not the vocal, because I think he sang it brilliantly, but the words themselves. I guess I was interpreting it the same way Bono did initially, before Bob explained it to him.

I love this part. :)

Bono sings "You’re the reason why the opera is in me…" and Midge referred to him as an opera singer. :D

I've heard it too. I must say it is PATHETIC! I sounds like an demo. It is a disgrace. I just can't beleive it is the final version I've heard. I can only hope they collect any money with it.

Back
Top Bottom