MERGED ----> Band Aid 20 hits the radio tomorrow + Band Aid 20 is a letdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's shades said:
First of all, I don't believe for a second that Bono really raised a stink and insisted on singing that line himself. I know he has an ego, but not to the extent that he would make something like this all about him.

Exactly. I mean, if it was a song for something else, then yeah, maybe. But for Band Aid?

It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the MP3 regarding the recording!!!

And Jick, loved the Bono is old jokes... :rolleyes:

And this Justin guy is a serious 'tard...

Teta040 may be on to something there with the observation on what is going in Congress right now with Global AIDS funding - it may not be making the B-man very happy nowadays.

And, of course, there was that nasty leak of HTDAAB.

Anyway, the sooner this controversy about Bono's famous line in Band Aid is put behind everyone, the better!

It can't be good for the B-man or for the new single of "Do They Know..."

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

just heard the new single on radio 1 and yer man has his famous line & doesn't dissappoint :drool: as you would expect

hard luck justin - obviously talent won yet again:madspit:

Yep, it's 3am here and I just heard it!

I loved his version - his voice sounded like it cracked a bit but I loved it - very heartfelt, he sounds almost tormented....

Way to go Bono!!

I should go to bed. It is 3:27! I am listening in live, maybe they will play it again. They're definitely talking about it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/listen/index.shtml?hp_lhn

I just realized... isn't the live broadcast from Dublin starting in a little bit?

<----may just have to call in sick in the morning! :macdevil:

Whoooooooo! Just figured out how to make an MP3 of the streaming audio!

Last edited:
Fran Healy was just on Virgin Radio and asked that nobody download this from the internet, instead buy copies of the CD or from itunes. He quoted Bob Geldof by saying that downloading it would be the same as taking food from a starving child's mouth.

I'm sure the vast majority will pay for the song, but I for one am not even going to encourage hosting the song by downloading it prior to release.

The single will be available though DefJam in the USA and available worldwide though itunes.

Also according to Healy, Bono was great and only had to re-record the line because he had sung it to the slower tempo of the 1985 song in Dublin so had to come over to the UK to record a faster version.

..and he sounds great!

Cheers,
Jim

I was not planning on encoding the single, am a bit more interested in the live broadcast (andperhapsjustthebonobitasateaser...)

:wink:

oh dear God, it's awful.
I'm sorry... I don't like it at all. I'll buy it, don't get me wrong, but I seriously hope that they don't let this one completely replace the original.

Jim said:
The single will be available though DefJam in the USA and available worldwide though itunes.

And for those who aren't in America or don't have iTunes...? Because we all know how much of a joke saying "worldwide through iTunes" really is. :|

I'm going to need to hear it again to make a decision on Bono's line, but the song (new version) in general sucks, in my opinion.

I really wish they just left the '84 version alone.

Still. All for a good cause...

Miroslava said:
Bono's line or just in general? :|

In general. I mean, it's just my opinion, but i'm really disappointed with the thing as a whole. It just doesn't really work...it starts off ok, but starts going down hill just before Bono sings.

Lucy3011 said:
I'm going to need to hear it again to make a decision on Bono's line, but the song (new version) in general sucks, in my opinion.

I really wish they just left the '84 version alone.

Still. All for a good cause...

Isn't that the nature of it though? Whenever they remake songs like this, I mean?

I can't think of any time a song has been remade like this and had it actually remotely close to being on par with what has gone before.

jick said:

Grumpy old man huh?

Cheers,

J

In the U2 News article on song, another article was posted that sheds the light more than that tabloid story from Daily Mail: Bono sang the line, but wasn't happy with it and he was going to do another take anyway , also Ure himself said Hawkins' version didn't suit the song.
Looks like the better man won anyway, and it's sad to see such an ego thing from Hawkins about it.

Exactly. That's why they should have just left it alone.

I feel bad for thinking that though because of what it's all about in the first place, and why they've done it etc.

But forgetting all that, just song-wise, they shouldn't have touched it.

Listening to it now...

Started okay... meh. Not terribly impressed, not dissapointed either... will clip just Bono's bit in a second!!

Edited to add: Ugh. Nevermind. The chorus part is just awful... :sad:

Last edited:
OK they're playing it again.

I maintain what I say about the song.

But Bono's line *is* still awesome. Nice one, B.

Renne said:

And for those who aren't in America or don't have iTunes...? Because we all know how much of a joke saying "worldwide through iTunes" really is. :|

Sorry I am not an expert on Apple or itunes. You can probably buy it on Amazon.

The "thank God" part sounds really hoarse...

The "instead" part sounds great. The "of you" hoarse...

First 1984 version sung by Bono was tons better...:huh:

Jim said:
Fran Healy was just on Virgin Radio and asked that nobody download this from the internet, instead buy copies of the CD or from itunes. He quoted Bob Geldof by saying that downloading it would be the same as taking food from a starving child's mouth.

I'm sure the vast majority will pay for the song, but I for one am not even going to encourage hosting the song by downloading it prior to release.

I agree. I am completely against downloading this song, by principle. Even if you plan to buy it. I don't think anyone should encourage the downloading of this song at all. It goes completely against the idea of the single.

bammo2 said:
I'm pretty sure it will grow on me. I'm not enjoying the rap bit in the middle though.................:lol:

:crazy:

I know the Dizzee Rascal bit shocked me!

OK really, am I supposed to have heard of any of these bands involved this time around? WTF is Justin from the Darkness? At least 20 years ago they had Duran Duran and George Michael, who were two of THE biggest stars of the time. The least they could have done is brought those guys back. This new version is like refilming the Godfather with the cast of American Pie and a 9-second cameo by Brando.

there is also an article at BBC news that has a few clips from the various versions of "Do They Know...."

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4015337.stm?display=1

click on the "Band Aid through the decades" icon to hear clips from the original version and the "new" version

I know Geldof's rationale was good - it was to motivate a new generation of people to get involved in the anti-poverty and human justice movements, but it's a different time than 1984 and the urgency in these performers voices just isn't there - it really falls a bit flat.:|

Gosh, Joss Stone didn't even know who Geldof was - how was she to sing with passion about his concerns?

They just should have remixed and rereleased the original one. :yes:

Plus we wouldn't have had to have that ugly Bono-Justin controversy.

FEED THE WORLD.... http://www.oxfam.org

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom